Soyuz short trip.

Old March 31st 13, 02:03 AM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

Default Soyuz short trip.

I Am Not A Rocket Scientist. But nonetheless, can anybody explain to
me why it has taken until 2013 to make 1960s technology do what it
could have done all along?

Ref:

Old March 31st 13, 05:32 PM posted to sci.space.history
Peter Stickney[_2_]

Fevric J. Glandules wrote:

I Am Not A Rocket Scientist. But nonetheless, can anybody explain
to me why it has taken until 2013 to make 1960s technology do what
it could have done all along?

Ref:

Confidence in their ability to calculate the velocitys required,
match those velocities precisely, and validate that they are
meeting those requirements.
Timing makes a difference too - since the Earth is rotating under the
ISS's and the docking spacecraft's orbit when they are launched, you
have to adjust the orbital period to allow the orbital planes to
match, and accelerate the cocking spacecraft at the right time
to match the target's velocity/orbital altitude.

--
Pete Stickney
From the foothills of the Florida Alps
Old April 1st 13, 12:17 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Fevric J. Glandules" wrote in message ...

I Am Not A Rocket Scientist. But nonetheless, can anybody explain to
me why it has taken until 2013 to make 1960s technology do what it
could have done all along?

"Need".

Ref:

Old April 1st 13, 05:22 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

On Sunday, Greg (Strider) Moore exclaimed wildly:
"Fevric J. Glandules" wrote in message ...
I Am Not A Rocket Scientist. But nonetheless, can anybody explain to
me why it has taken until 2013 to make 1960s technology do what it could
have done all along?

"Need".

Ref:

Also, the avionics package was updated, if I read correctly (cite is
probably Alan Boyle on the NBCNews site).

/dps

--
Ieri, oggi, domani

Old April 1st 13, 12:47 PM posted to sci.space.history
Vaughn

On 3/30/2013 9:03 PM, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
I Am Not A Rocket Scientist. But nonetheless, can anybody explain to
me why it has taken until 2013 to make 1960s technology do what it
could have done all along?

Ref:

I don't have time to find you a good reference, but there is actually
nothing new about the quick approach. The Soviets have long known how to
do it, and they used it with their own space habitats at least
occasionally. My understanding is that NASA kept the ISS in an
inconvenient orbit for that maneuver due to the needs of the shuttle.
Now that there is no shuttle, they have raised to orbit of the ISS,
making the "Soyuz short trip" possible.

Vaughn
Old April 1st 13, 03:11 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Mar 31, 9:32*am, Peter Stickney wrote:
Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
I Am Not A Rocket Scientist. *But nonetheless, can anybody explain
to me why it has taken until 2013 to make 1960s technology do what
it could have done all along?

Ref:

Confidence in their ability to calculate the velocitys required,
match those velocities precisely, and validate that they are
meeting those requirements.
Timing makes a difference too - since the Earth is rotating under the
ISS's and the docking spacecraft's orbit when they are launched, you
have to adjust the orbital period to allow the orbital planes to
match, and accelerate the cocking spacecraft at the right time
to match the target's velocity/orbital altitude.

--
Pete Stickney
From the foothills of the Florida Alps

All of which was 100% doable as of 40+ years ago, unless you don't
happen to believe 100% in our NASA/Apollo era when our Nazi Paperclip
guys were accomplishing this task on a regular basis, except doing it
while orbiting our moon.
Old April 1st 13, 03:14 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Apr 1, 4:47*am, Vaughn wrote:
On 3/30/2013 9:03 PM, Fevric J. Glandules wrote: I Am Not A Rocket Scientist. *But nonetheless, can anybody explain to
me why it has taken until 2013 to make 1960s technology do what it
could have done all along?

Ref:

I don't have time to find you a good reference, but there is actually
nothing new about the quick approach. The Soviets have long known how to
do it, and they used it with their own space habitats at least
occasionally. *My understanding is that NASA kept the ISS in an
inconvenient orbit for that maneuver due to the needs of the shuttle.
Now that there is no shuttle, they have raised to orbit of the ISS,
making the "Soyuz short trip" possible.

Vaughn

Bull****, or at least double bull****.

So, we didn't actually go to/from our moon and quickly join up while
orbiting our moon?

You have to pick, and stick with your selection. So, which is it?
Old April 1st 13, 04:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
Vaughn

On 4/1/2013 10:14 AM, Brad Guth wrote:
On Apr 1, 4:47 am, Vaughn wrote:
[...]

Did you bother to read what I wrote? ...because your answer doesn't
make the slightest sense to me. What did I write that is "bull****"?
And why?

Vaughn
Old April 2nd 13, 01:57 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Vaughn" wrote in message ...

On 4/1/2013 10:14 AM, Brad Guth wrote:

Bull****, or at least double bull****.

So, we didn't actually go to/from our moon and quickly join up while
orbiting our moon?

You have to pick, and stick with your selection. So, which is it?

Did you bother to read what I wrote? ...because your answer doesn't
make the slightest sense to me. What did I write that is "bull****"?
And why?

Brad was of course referring to his own ramblings Vaughn.

Your stuff was fine. Ignore him.

Vaughn

Old April 7th 13, 12:09 AM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

Vaughn wrote:

On 3/30/2013 9:03 PM, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
I Am Not A Rocket Scientist. But nonetheless, can anybody explain to
me why it has taken until 2013 to make 1960s technology do what it
could have done all along?

Ref:

Thanks to all who have responded with sensible replies.

I don't have time to find you a good reference, but there is actually
nothing new about the quick approach. The Soviets have long known how to
do it, and they used it with their own space habitats at least
occasionally. My understanding is that NASA kept the ISS in an
inconvenient orbit for that maneuver due to the needs of the shuttle.
Now that there is no shuttle, they have raised to orbit of the ISS,
making the "Soyuz short trip" possible.

I don't get this. ISS has been in the same orbit all along, with
varying altitude. Am I missing something?