RIP James Van Allen

Old August 22nd 12, 06:30 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

Default RIP James Van Allen

Namesake of the Van Allen Radiation Belts, and designer of instruments
on a variety of space probes ... from Explorer I to Pioneers 10 and
11.

http://articles.boston.com/2006-08-10/news/29241013_1_space-exploration-james-van-allen-manned-space

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old August 22nd 12, 11:45 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 22:30:11 -0700, Snidely
wrote:

Namesake of the Van Allen Radiation Belts, and designer of instruments
on a variety of space probes ... from Explorer I to Pioneers 10 and
11.

http://articles.boston.com/2006-08-10/news/29241013_1_space-exploration-james-van-allen-manned-space

Uh, that was in 2006.

Brian
Old August 23rd 12, 05:15 AM posted to sci.space.history
snidely

wrote:

Namesake of the Van Allen Radiation Belts, and designer of instruments
on a variety of space probes ... from Explorer I to Pioneers 10 and
11.

http://articles.boston.com/2006-08-10/news/29241013_1_space-exploration-james-van-allen-manned-space

Uh, that was in 2006.

Okay, so much for hot links.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old August 23rd 12, 06:50 AM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

wrote:

Namesake of the Van Allen Radiation Belts, and designer of instruments
on a variety of space probes ... from Explorer I to Pioneers 10 and
11.

http://articles.boston.com/2006-08-10/news/29241013_1_space-exploration-james-van-allen-manned-space

Uh, that was in 2006.

This is a space *history* group, you know. We're supposed to
discuss stuff when it's not current news.

(Is five years long enough for something to be history, in this
field?)

--
http://nebusresearch.wordpress.com/ Joseph Nebus
Current Entry: The Least Pleasant Thing About WiiFit http://wp.me/p1RYhY-i6
Old August 23rd 12, 04:09 PM posted to sci.space.history
Matt

A great guy as well as a great scientist. When we were researching our book The First Space Race: Launching the World's First Satellites (Texas A&M, 2004), my coauthor Erika flew to the office he still kept in the Van Allen Building at Iowa State and spent a day taping interviews. She reurned shaking her head, saying, "He remembers everything he did in 1958." Later, I phoned him and asked if he'd write a Foreword to our book, which he immediately agreed to. I think it was his last published writing.
Ad Astra, Jim.

- Matt Bille
www.mattwriter.com
Old September 28th 12, 12:57 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Aug 21, 10:30*pm, Snidely wrote:
Namesake of the Van Allen Radiation Belts, and designer of instruments
on a variety of space probes ... from Explorer I *to *Pioneers 10 and
11.

http://articles.boston.com/2006-08-10/news/29241013_1_space-explorati...

/dps

--
Who, me? *And what lacuna?

He wasn't allowed to publish anything that wasn't moderated by his ZNR
peers.

The hot and cold hard truths about radiation in space hasn't been
told, much less about the gamma and hard X-rays of our naked and
physically dark moon.

The new evidence pertaining to dark matter and the aether might have
greatly helped James Van Allen to research deeper into the local and
cosmic radiation issues.

http://groups.google.com/groups/search
http://translate.google.com/#
Old September 28th 12, 03:16 PM posted to sci.space.history
Dean

On Friday, September 28, 2012 7:57:33 AM UTC-4, Brad Guth wrote:
[...]

Yes, it is a vast ZNR conspiracy to keep secret the facts that there are radiation hazards in space.....
Old September 28th 12, 11:00 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Sep 28, 7:16*am, Dean wrote:
[...]

*Brad Guth,Brad_Guth,Brad.Guth,BradGuth,BG,Guth Usenet/”Guth Venus”

Yes, it is a vast ZNR conspiracy to keep secret the facts that there are radiation hazards in space.....

It's obviously location, location, location plus the collective full-
body extent of exposure that counts, and Van Allen had many things to
say about it, but wasn't allowed to freely publish it.

What's keeping the naked moon itself from reacting to solar and cosmic
radiation, or that of collecting and holding onto solar particles?
Old July 27th 13, 02:11 AM posted to sci.space.history
Christopher P. Winter[_2_]

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 08:09:43 -0700 (PDT), Matt
wrote:

A great guy as well as a great scientist. When we were researching our book The First Space Race: Launching the World's First Satellites (Texas A&M, 2004), my coauthor Erika flew to the office he still kept in the Van Allen Building at Iowa State and spent a day taping interviews. She reurned shaking her head, saying, "He remembers everything he did in 1958." Later, I phoned him and asked if he'd write a Foreword to our book, which he immediately agreed to. I think it was his last published writing.
Ad Astra, Jim.

- Matt Bille
www.mattwriter.com

He was all of those things, save one: Dr. Van Allen was never
associated with Iowa State. The Van Allen building is on the
University of Iowa campus, roughly 100 miles east of the city of Ames.

Sorry for the late posting; I'm just getting back onto Usenet.