8/30/11 - No Quantum Gravity Signature

Old August 31st 11, 10:51 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Robert L. Oldershaw

Default 8/30/11 - No Quantum Gravity Signature

Rather bad news today at arxiv.org for string/brane notions, loop
quantum gravity, and other major quantum gravity theories.

See: arXiv:1108.6005v1 [gr-qc]

Published (and Highlighted by editor) in Astronomy and Astrophysics,
vol.533
"No quantum gravity signature from the farthest quasars"
Tamburini et al.

Anybody ready for a new paradigm that can actually make definitive
predictions, and then have them vindicated? One that was generated
by
studying nature, rather than hoping for guidance from hermetic
mathematical abstractions.

RLO
http://www3.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw
Discrete Scale Relativity
Old August 31st 11, 07:01 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Eric Gisse

On Aug 31, 9:51*am, "Robert L. Oldershaw"
wrote:
Rather bad news today at arxiv.org for string/brane notions, loop
quantum gravity, and other major quantum gravity theories.

See: arXiv:1108.6005v1 [gr-qc]

Published (and Highlighted by editor) in Astronomy and Astrophysics,
vol.533
"No quantum gravity signature from the farthest quasars"
Tamburini et al.

Not surprising, as there is an abundance of literature failing to find
such effects. Doesn't make the work less valuable, just less
interesting to me.

I maintain the point of view that without a conflicting observation
regarding GR, there's never going to be much progress on the
gravitation side of attempting to unify physics.

Anybody ready for a new paradigm that can actually make definitive
predictions, and then have them vindicated? *One that was generated
by
studying nature, rather than hoping for guidance from hermetic
mathematical abstractions.

You seem to be deeply confused about what is going on in modern
physics in 2011.

In order to break a theory, you have to push it to its' limits. That
requires taking theories as far as they can go, and the results tend
to be interesting. In GR's case, you get black holes. In QM's case
its' fuzzier as everthing is 'out there', but entanglement is a good
example of a corner case of the mathematics.

At any rate, I'm starting to wonder if you are all that interested in
science. You now post to sci.*.research every few weeks about some
latest non-discovery published somewhere, then crow about how some
theory's parameter space was shrunk.

Yet when you post about *your* theory, and I respond with literature
references that show it to be wrong, you remain silent. What's up with
that?

Examples:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.p...7?dmode=source
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.a...6?dmode=source
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.a...f?dmode=source

I could always start new posts titled as 'NO DSR SIGNATURE FOUND' and
go that route. Would that help?

Old September 1st 11, 12:52 PM
Jamahl Peavey Jamahl Peavey is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gisse View Post
wrote:
[...]

There are many conflicting observations related to GR and you do not have to go to black holes to get them. Many binary stars have motions that are not consistent with GR. DI Herculis was the first and recent discoveries show it's not the last. Yeah, MIT researches tried to explain DI Herculis but when the new parameters were applied GR's error dropped by only 50%. Not so perfect.
Old September 1st 11, 04:25 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Jamahl Peavey[_3_]

[Mod. note: entire quoted article removed -- mjh]

--
Jamahl Peavey
Old September 1st 11, 08:31 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Eric Gisse

On Sep 1, 3:25*pm, Jamahl Peavey Jamahl.Peavey.
wrote:
Eric Gisse;1171878 Wrote:
[Mod. note: entire quoted article removed -- mjh]

There are many conflicting observations related to GR and you do not
have to go to black holes to get them. * *Many binary stars have motions
that are not consistent with GR. *DI Herculis was the first and recent
discoveries show it's not the last. *Yeah, MIT researches tried to
explain DI Herculis but when the new parameters were applied GR's error
dropped by only 50%. *Not so perfect.

--
Jamahl Peavey

DI Herculis seems to be an example of a complicated system. Some folks
seem to think there could be a 12th magnitude star relatively close,
or perhaps the effects are due to how tilted the star's axes are.

Either way, it is not fair to say this is conflicting to GR when the
dynamics of the system are not fully understood yet.
Old September 2nd 11, 03:55 AM

wrote:
Eric Gisse;1171878 Wrote:
[Mod. note: entire quoted article removed -- mjh]

There are many conflicting observations related to GR and you do not
have to go to black holes to get them. * *Many binary stars have motions
that are not consistent with GR. *DI Herculis was the first and recent
discoveries show it's not the last. *Yeah, MIT researches tried to
explain DI Herculis but when the new parameters were applied GR's error
dropped by only 50%. *Not so perfect.

--
Jamahl Peavey

DI Herculis seems to be an example of a complicated system. Some folks
seem to think there could be a 12th magnitude star relatively close,
or perhaps the effects are due to how tilted the star's axes are.

Either way, it is not fair to say this is conflicting to GR when the
dynamics of the system are not fully understood yet.

In addition to DI Herculis, GR gets the precessions for the binary systems below wrong as well.

PSR J1518 +4904
B2303 + 46
V541 Cygni
As Camelopardalis

Unfair is not to GR but to the facts. Some folks thought Mercury's strange motion was caused by a planet called Vulcan. Some Astronomers say they saw the planet, which was clearly a lie. Some have tried to turn V541 Cygni and As Camelopardalis into three body systems to help GR. I say, "Find the third body and then we talk", my guess is the third body or 12th magnitude star is as real as Vulcan. The axis solution was considered before the MIT group did their analysis and observation. I guess all the systems GR gets wrong has misaligned axis or three bodies. I guess not. DI Herculis is not a complex system. It is a detached binary and fairly clean in terms of gas. It is clear GR has problems no one wants to admit to. There is Astronomy and then there is Theoretical Physics. Astronomers have to be fair to the measurements. If theoretical physicist get it right, good. If they get it wrong, good we move on.

Last edited by Jamahl Peavey : September 2nd 11 at 04:06 AM.

Old September 4th 11, 11:06 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Eric Gisse

wrote:-
Eric Gisse;1171878 Wrote:
[...]

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9605122

"Because the J1518+4904 system is much wider than the prototypical
double neutron star
system of PSR B1913+16, it emits far less gravitational radiation, and
the relativistic decay of its
orbit will be difficult to detect."

Given that the Hulse-Taylor pulsar as well as J0737-3039 happen to be
deeply relativistic, with lots of telescope time on each with no
visible anomalies, I have to wonder "what are you talking about?"

B2303 + 46
V541 Cygni
As Camelopardalis

No references, no explanations. But this "list" has shown up
elsewhere.

I search for this list, then I find this:

indjst.org/archive/vol.4.issue.4/apr11jamal-5.pdf

I have absolutely no idea where I've seen this before, but it has
shown up in my browser as something I've seen before. I recognize the
article. Just not where it is from.

I am sure it is a coincidence that you are pushing your own fringe
theory.

BTW

http://www.thescienceforum.com/astro...discussed.html

Is this you? The arguments and the list are kinda familiar now.

Unfair is not to GR but to the facts. *Some folks thought Mercury's
strange motion was caused by a planet called Vulcan.

"Some folks" are dumb. Such a planet was excluded by observation many
years before Einstein developed general relativity.

*Some Astronomers
say they saw the planet, which was clearly a lie. *Some have tried to
turn V541 Cygni and As Camelopardalis into three body systems to help
GR. *I say, "Find the third body and then we talk",

Take Di Hercurles for example. Do you think the wonky spin axes of the
system are just happenstance?

my guess is the
third body or 12th magnitude star is as real as Vulcan. *

You "guess"?

That's almost as good as science!

The axis
solution was considered before the MIT group did their analysis and
observation. *I guess all the systems GR gets wrong has misaligned axis
or three bodies. I guess not. *DI Herculis is not a complex system. *It
is a detached binary and fairly clean in terms of gas. *It is clear GR
has problems no one wants to admit to.
*There is Astronomy and then
there is Theoretical Physics. *Astronomers have to be fair to the
measurements. *If theoretical physicist get it right, good. *If they get
it wrong, good we move on.

--
Jamahl Peavey

Here's the problem: This is a sci.*.research newsgroup, not
sci.physics[.relativity] where you can scream "I HAVE A LIST" and call
it a day.

You have made exactly no effort here beyond the copypaste of a list
plus the usual crank concern trolling about GR's validity in a highly
tested area. That's fine, if this were sci.physics. But you are here,
so there's some expectations.

1) I am not going to do your research for you.

Digging up the article on the discovery of PSR J1518+4904 and its'
rather uninteresting status tells me that *you* haven't even done the
research. Feel free to correct me if you actually have spent more than
5 minutes reviewing the literature on the subject.

Then post the literature, so it can be read rather than have an
afternoon wasted on a wild goose chase.

2) I am not going to discuss things that have exactly no citations or
useful discussions around.

Pointing at your list and mumbling about how "GR must be wrong then"
is unacceptable as it is boring.

3) At least know what you are talking about.

GR has been rather well tested in the realmn of "binary system". We
have PSR B1913+16 with about thirty years of telescope time on it, in
addition to the semi-recently discovered double pulsar system
J0737-3039. Both of which confirm general relativity to the sub-
percentage point area.

What you are doing is pointing at a bunch of other systems, one of
which was remarked on by its' discoverer as not that relativisitc (why
is it being talked about here?), that are in the same testing realm as
the above well-understood systems and remarking about how GR is wrong.
If you've done a few minutes of reading you would also see that some
of those systems have quite reasonable questions about the number of
components of the system.

This is silly, and I'm not playing that game here.
Old September 5th 11, 10:04 AM posted to sci.astro.research
jacob navia[_5_]

Le 05/09/11 00:06, Eric Gisse a écrit :

This is silly, and I'm not playing that game here.

I agree completely with that. sci.astro, and all other Usenet astronomy
groups are *swamped* by cranks saying "Einstein is wrong" and then
coming with antisemitic arguments (Einstein was a Jew, you know), or
with completely wrong stuff.
Old September 5th 11, 10:33 PM
Jamahl Peavey Jamahl Peavey is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob navia[_5_] View Post
Le 05/09/11 00:06, Eric Gisse a écrit :

This is silly, and I'm not playing that game here.

I agree completely with that. sci.astro, and all other Usenet astronomy
groups are *swamped* by cranks saying "Einstein is wrong" and then
coming with antisemitic arguments (Einstein was a Jew, you know), or
with completely wrong stuff.
This is not about Einstein. It is about GR and it's accuracy. When Einstein made Newtonian Mechanics better it was not about Newton but his model. This a professional assessment not a personal attack. Yet, I have been called a Crack Pot but I do consider the source.

My research spans over 10 years and the article you are referring to, "Binary precession solutions based on synchronized field couplings was published in a peer-reviewed journal. Calling people "crack pots" to cover up the facts just means you lost the agruement. Do you know Gravitational Waves and it's associated radiation has never been detected? It's inferred like Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Pulsar PSR 1913+16 is not on my list of systems GR gets wrong so you have no arguement.

What does GR have to say about Dark Matter, inferred or otherwise? Nothing.

What does GR have to say about Dark Energy, inferred or otherwise? Nothing.
When Einstein throught the universe was static he put in the cosmological constant. Hubble showed him it was expanding and he took it out as a blunder. Now we know the universe is accelerating and it's back calling it Dark Energy. Make a prediction not
a post-diction. There are inferred fundemental structures in the universe that are not addressed in GR.

What does GR have to say about Dark Flow, inferrd or otherwise? Nothing. I only say that Astronomy has gotten better over time with measurements. It's theoretical physics on large scales that has not had a major break through since 1919. If Einstein were alive he would be building better models and promoting work you like to call that of "Crack Pots". S. Bose of "Bose-Einstein Condensate" and Louis DeBroglie were called "Crack Pots" but a real genius knows the difference between a great idea and Crack Pot. That's why Einstein supported and lanched their works. I know he would support my work because it is correct if you like it or not. My work is peer-reviewed, so it has support, just not among those who do not know or don't care to report the facts.

The facts is not a game and it does not take a genius to see that. Theoretical physics has become the biggest game in science "Multiverse" and it's really sad to those who love science.

Last edited by Jamahl Peavey : September 6th 11 at 08:35 PM.