Stellar Magnetic Fields

Old February 24th 11, 09:22 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Robert L. Oldershaw

Default Stellar Magnetic Fields

On Feb 24, 7:44*am, Phillip Helbig---undress to reply

....the paper you mentioned provides NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that there
might be an ultracompact object in the remnant of Tycho's supernova.

Well, the paper models the weak gamma-ray flux in terms of a point
source located approximately at the center of the SNR. However, it is
true that at this point the resolution is not sufficient to say much
about the morphology of the source, or its exact location.

Let's stay calm and let nature answer the question.

Note that for SN 1006, another type-I SN, there are two gamma-ray
hotspots symmetrically located on opposite sides of the expanding
shell [this is referenced in the Tycho's SN paper]. One possible
explanation is that twin hadronic and/or leptonic jets coming from a
central ultracompact object are exciting this emission. Purely
conjecture at this point, but SN 1006 is clearly another fascinating
system to watch regarding the definitive prediction of this thread.

Both Tycho's SN and SN 1006 are relatively nearby type-I SN remnants.
They probably represent the best available test systems for evaluating
the prediction, other than a brand new local SN-I event. I look
forward to further developments as these systems are investigated with
greater detail at various wavelengths.

RLO
www.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw

[Mod. note: for SN1006, have a look at the X-ray emission: the X-rays
are clearly non-thermal emission from the rim of the SNR, and the TeV
gamma-rays are completely consistent with being inverse-Compton
emission from the electrons responsible for the X-rays (this is a
required process). See e.g.
http://www.mpi-hd.mpg.de/hfm/HESS/pa...e/som/2008/08/ for
pictures. No evidence for jets here, and I write as a big fan of jets
-- mjh]
Old April 7th 11, 10:08 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Robert L. Oldershaw

"Recent observations have revealed that many nearby GRBs are
associated with core-collapse SNe. ... The observed GRB-connected SNe
are all Type Ic SNe."

That's Type I, mind you.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/...104.0754v1.pdf

Now, what typically produces a GRB?