Observing Satellites and Jets

Old August 25th 09, 07:49 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Dan Minge

Default Observing Satellites and Jets

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 06:56:22 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

"Dan Minge" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:55:49 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

"Dan Minge" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 00:17:56 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

"Patty Winter" wrote in message
. ..

In article ,
Von Fourche wrote:

Hi all! I'm new to observing satellites in the sky.

Welcome, Von! Are you hooked on the hobby yet? :-)

Yep. I went out tonight four times. Once I did not see anything.
But
the three other times I spotting things in the air that did not blink,
going
the general direction that showed on Heaven's Above, and appeared around
the
time the were suppose to (give or take thirty seconds or so).

I could clearly tell that the jets had blinking lights. Also I can
see
with binos dark outlines of the jets. But the three non-blinkers I have
believe were satellites because - 1. They did not blink. 2. They were
heading in the general direction that showed on Heaven's Above. 3. They
appeared around the time they were suppose to appear.

Hmm, I thought finding satellites was extremely hard. Using Heaven's
Above and also a nice satellite application for my iTouch, it seems
easy,
unless those three tings were jets and not satellites. lol.

Heavens Above is great, but you can't go past Orbitron
which is free. Well, when I say free, it's actually 'cardware'
which means its author, Sebastan Stoff would like a post card
from you.

Go on. Download it and send him a postcard. He'll add you to his
postcard map. :-)

How do I get it to give me future sighting of the ISS? I can get other
satellites but not the ISS for some reason. I really can't explore it
till
later this week.

Easy. There's an excellent prediction mode you can go into. It will
display the times ISS or any other satellite you choose is overhead.
Couldn't do without it.

Hmm, I can get predictions for there satellites but not the ISS. I must
be doing something wrong.

Make sure the little box to the left of ISS is ticked, then select
'prediction'

In prediction setup, you can select the number of days you want to
predict. I have mine set to 20 days, though the elements will be
somewhat out of date when that period elapses.

Minge
Old August 25th 09, 09:54 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Von Fourche

"Dan Minge" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 06:56:22 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

"Dan Minge" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:55:49 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

m...

Von Fourche wrote:

[...]

Is the space station ISS or ISS1? I see a ISS and an ISS1. I can get
predictions for ISS1 but not the ISS. I will have time to mess with it more
tomorrow night.

Thanks!

Old August 26th 09, 05:15 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Dan Minge

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:54:02 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Dan Minge" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:55:49 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

"Patty Winter" wrote in message
t...

In article ,
Von Fourche wrote:

[...]

Don't know what ISS1 is. Not in my elements list. Maybe someone else
in here does.

The Space Station is ISS

Minge
Old August 27th 09, 02:43 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Von Fourche

wrote:

Don't know what ISS1 is. Not in my elements list. Maybe someone else
in here does.

Finally got it updated. Found out how to update those Tll files or
whatever they are. Thanks!

Old August 27th 09, 07:17 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Dan Minge

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:43:27 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Don't know what ISS1 is. Not in my elements list. Maybe someone else
in here does.

Finally got it updated. Found out how to update those Tll files or
whatever they are. Thanks!

Great stuff. I like using the radar map so that I can get an
overhead view outside.

Minge