CFI: Canonical List of Sci-Fi "Real" Astronauts

Old November 18th 04, 03:11 AM
OM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:17:15 -0600, Brian Thorn
wrote:

Jeff Hale ("Riverworld")

....I'd probably have to add the Shuttle astronaut from Niven &
Pournelle's _Inferno_, too.

John Robinson, Maureen Robinson, Don West, Judy Robinson, Will
Robinson, Penny Robinson, Dr. Zachary Smith ("Lost In Space" --
The Jupiter II was launched October 16, 1997.)

....See "2001". Ditto for Hapgood and the old fart they found on the
refueling barge.

Tom Easton, Bill Frager, and Michael McKendrick ("Meteor", seen aboard
a Skylab-like spacecraft in the asteroid belt)

...."Meteor" was forgettable, which is why I forgot these three.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 18th 04, 05:43 AM
OM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:59:42 GMT, "w9gb"
wrote:

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
...After exchanging a couple of e-mails with Mark Wade over an
addition I think needs to be made to the "Phantom Astronauts" page on
EA, I've suddenly come up with an idea for a "Canonical List" of said
Phantoms. However, since most of my time these days is spent at my
60+hour/week job, I've decided to put out a Call For Input here on the
group to see what can be dredged up. Here's the criteria:

OM

Let's see, here are a few that likely "miss"; via your rule # 1
(but history may yet redeem us)

Planet of the Apes series

BZZZT!

....Yeah, I ruled them out from the git-go. Something about that FTL
Icarus and the "ANSA" logo that blows it for them.

Beneath Planet of the Apes (1970)
Capt. Maddox (dies at crash landing site)

...."Skipper's" last name was never confirmed save for a snipped line
in a later draft script.

Astronaut Brent

....First name John.

Star Trek series
(all series and movies)

....Sean Geoffrey Christopher is the only one that comes to mind as
being a possibility.

Lt. John Kelly (Ares IV at Mars)
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...de/108170.html

....Yeah, him I'll consider strongly.

James Bond "007" series of movies

Moonraker (1979)
James Bond (of course)
Dr. Holly Goodhead
Colonel Scott

....Also, the Astros and Cosmos who were intercepted in space by that
SSTO SPECTRE ship.

I have not even looked into the related 1960 spy series copies
(Matt Helm, Secret Agent Man, I, Spy, etc.)

....The two cosmobimbos from "In Like Flint" I'll consider, because if
I don't Pat will sic his Fire Women on me :-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 18th 04, 05:49 AM
OM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:58:04 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

We don't know much abuot Mr. Geoffry other than he lead the historic first
Earth-Saturn Mission in the Star Trek Time line.

....Yeah, and then there's the big question of *when* he made the
flight, which depends on how old he was at the time, and when he was
actually born.

Given he wasn't conceived in 1969 though, his birth may put him outside of
your required timeline.

....I've considered both him and the Mars pilot who got sucked into
that subspace blob, simply because there's nothing that has either of
them being from some "Rocky Jones" ATL.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 18th 04, 09:21 AM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

2) Characters can come from TV, film, books, comics or even the
theater.

From "Robinson Crusoe on Mars"
Mars Gravity Probe-1 "Eleanor M"
Col. Dan "Mac" McReady: (I've e-mailed The Caped Crusader himself about
this in regards to a photo of Col. McReady)
Commander Christopher "Kit" Draper: http://www.musicman.com/00pic/rc10.jpg
CPFM- "Mona"...I'm working on it...I want a shot in the cute,
personality-filled, miniature space suit.
Anybody going to do that slew of crewmembers from "Conquest of Space"?
Between the space station and the Mars ship, there should be a lot of
them. This list could get huge, you know.....

Pat

Old November 18th 04, 10:33 AM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...The two cosmobimbos from "In Like Flint" I'll consider, because if
I don't Pat will sic his Fire Women on me :-)

What were the names of the two Russian cosmonauts that landed on
Gilligan's Island?
If it helps, episode 45: "Nyet, Nyet- Not Yet".

Pat

Old November 18th 04, 12:03 PM
w9gb

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
...After exchanging a couple of e-mails with Mark Wade over an
addition I think needs to be made to the "Phantom Astronauts" page on
EA, I've suddenly come up with an idea for a "Canonical List" of said
Phantoms. However, since most of my time these days is spent at my
60+hour/week job, I've decided to put out a Call For Input here on the
group to see what can be dredged up. Here's the criteria:

"Marooned"
Jim Pruett (Ironman I CDR)
Clayton Stone (Ironman I SCI)
Buzz Lloyd (Ironman I CMP)
Ted Dougherty (Chief Astronaut/XRV Pilot)

Opps ...... you forgot the Russian cosmonaut in the Voskhod (it looked like
a Vostok 3KA in movie)

James Bond "007" series of movies

...Also, the Astros and Cosmos who were intercepted in space by that
SSTO SPECTRE ship.

Thanks ! I remember 2 capsules being captured (US Gemini US capsule with
spacewalker left outside when Spectre ship swallowed it)

gb

Old November 18th 04, 12:19 PM
Harald Kucharek

OM wrote:

The astronauts from "Max Q" [ducks and runs]

Do Wallace and Gromit qualify? At least Gromit poses a problem as Laika
was never listed as an astronaut...

Old November 18th 04, 12:21 PM
Harald Kucharek

The atsronauts from "Max Q"? [ducks and runs]

Old November 18th 04, 12:43 PM
w9gb

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
...After exchanging a couple of e-mails with Mark Wade over an
addition I think needs to be made to the "Phantom Astronauts" page on
EA, I've suddenly come up with an idea for a "Canonical List" of said
Phantoms. However, since most of my time these days is spent at my
60+hour/week job, I've decided to put out a Call For Input here on the
group to see what can be dredged up.

I will have to run through the original Rod Serling Twilight Zone episodes
(unless that is truly an alternative reality - as Rod liked to characterize
it). This and the Outer Limits series did have a number of episodes with
astronauts.

Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles (1950 book) - forget the 1980 TV disaster
The 3 expedition crews

Terms of Endearment (1983)
retired Astronaut Garrett Breedlove (Jack Nicholson of course)

Red Planet (2000)
Cmdr. Kate Bowman (did anyone else think that this was an errie name to
select?)
Robby Gallagher
Lt. Ted Santen
Dr. Quinn Burchenal
Chip Pettengill
Dr. Bud Chantilas

Mission to Mars (2000)
Original Mission crew:
Luke Graham (cmdr)
Reneé Coté
Nicholas Willis
Sergei Kirov
Rescue Mission crew:
Woodrow 'Woody' Blake (cmdr)
Jim McConnell (pilot)
Terri Fisher
Phil Ohlmyer

Mars Attacks!
.... on second thought .. [I'll skip it]

Independence Day
.... we do have that alien craft stored at Area 51 or was it moved again?
:-)

Old November 18th 04, 04:29 PM
MattWriter

That fellow William Shatner played in Twilight Zone, who did a close flyby of
Venus and picked up a passenger.

Matt Bille
)
OPINIONS IN ALL POSTS ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Lunar 100 - April S&T phil Amateur Astronomy 39 March 19th 04 01:51 PM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 February 4th 04 07:48 PM