Stephen Hawking's Interstellar Spaceship Proposal (And More!)

Old April 15th 16, 02:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Stephen Hawking's Interstellar Spaceship Proposal (And More!)

"Testing has started at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in
Huntsville, Alabama, on revolutionary propulsion system called the
electric sail. Relatively conservative designs could send spacecraft at
100-200 km/second by utilizing solar wind traveling at 400 to 750
kilometers per second.

The test results will provide modeling data for the Heliopause
Electrostatic Rapid Transit System (HERTS). The proposed HERTS
E-Sail concept, a propellant-less propulsion system, would harness
solar wind to travel into interstellar space."

See:

http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/04/nas...-sail-for.html

=============================

I wonder which (if any) of these ideas will ever actually fly?

The electric solar sail is a true interstellar drive! Quite unique.

It uses the concept of charge repulsion to drive the spacecraft. What is unique is the when batteries of some kind power the sails charge, the current is independent of the repulsion force. It is not a normal electric drive.

The solar protons are to never interact physically except by charge field repulsion effect.

Once mo The current to the sail can be zero. A static charge is possible in theory. It is real ok!

To me the implication is reanalysis of possible magnetic monopole drives.

Thanks Doug

Old April 15th 16, 02:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 9:35:40 AM UTC-4, wrote:

repulsion effect.

Once mo The current to the sail can be zero. A static charge is possible in theory. It is real ok!

To me the implication is reanalysis of possible magnetic monopole drives.

Thanks Doug

I forgot to remember my static field implications. NASA has stated a revolving wire sail. It is a disk like charge shape.

My question is posed:

Why would a disk static charge be any more force than the same charge on a point charge shape?

The concept of area of charge as a variable of repulsion needs testing. Requiring a solar sail in an analogy fashion to light sails might be a simple mistake.

A Gaussian sphere is my "take" on this revolutionary discovery. Why would it not be?

Thanks Doug

Old April 15th 16, 03:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 9:52:20 AM UTC-4, wrote:
O mistake.

A Gaussian sphere is my "take" on this revolutionary discovery. Why would it not be?

Thanks Doug

So back to the drawing board. How does one repulse protons using electrons?

So I guess it would get complicated in further analysis. It basically means a positron voltage source. Some kind of accelerator I guess.

The other modality is to use a solar charge and not proton wind. If the wind is protons, then the sun is charged negative electron wise. The sun is negative?

And here lies the ease of negative Gaussian static drives. Repel the sun, not the wind.
Old April 15th 16, 05:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 10:18:40 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 9:52:20 AM UTC-4, wrote:
O mistake.

A Gaussian sphere is my "take" on this revolutionary discovery. Why would it not be?

Thanks Doug

So back to the drawing board. How does one repulse protons using electrons?

So I guess it would get complicated in further analysis. It basically means a positron voltage source. Some kind of accelerator I guess.

The other modality is to use a solar charge and not proton wind. If the wind is protons, then the sun is charged negative electron wise. The sun is negative?

And here lies the ease of negative Gaussian static drives. Repel the sun, not the wind.

A proton wind can act inertially like impinging photons. I guess a static electron charge of the spacecraft must be non-interactive with the impinging protons? So use a thin capacitor model for a Sol charge drive. The protons will be absorbable in the thin insulator and not perturb the electron globe.

SO it is a triade field drive. Two inertial absorbers or reflectors and one static repulser.

I do not think you can effectively repulse protons.
Old April 17th 16, 02:40 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
Robert Clark[_5_]

I've been thinking of ways we can get such nanocraft to link up through
self-assembly and form larger structures that can do more detailed
observations and experiments. This could work even for visits to far off
destinations still in the Solar System such as Kuiper belt objects like
Pluto or the Oort cloud.

The main problem is getting the many objects flying independently and
getting further apart the further out they go to gradually be drawn to each
other and link up. Once they link up, I don't it would be to difficult to
then get them to do self-assembly.

But it's that drawing together step that is the sticking point.

Bob Clark

Finally, nanotechnology can now fulfill its potential to revolutionize
21st-century technology, from the space elevator, to private, orbital
launchers, to 'flying cars'.
This crowdfunding campaign is to prove it:

Nanotech: from air to space.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...ce/x/13319568/
"Rick Jones" wrote in message ...

wrote:
See:

http://gizmodo.com/a-russian-billion...ild-1770467186

Indeed, the hurdles range from how to create the laser array
capable of accelerating a small payload off Earth to how to
transmit data back to us over interstellar distances. These will
be huge accomplishments, with reverberations throughout many
fields of science and technology.

I was wondering how they were going to get comms back from such a
small package. I guess the answer is they haven't exactly figured
that out yet.

rick jones

Old April 17th 16, 06:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
[email protected]

In sci.physics Robert Clark wrote:
I've been thinking of ways we can get such nanocraft to link up through
self-assembly and form larger structures that can do more detailed
observations and experiments. This could work even for visits to far off
destinations still in the Solar System such as Kuiper belt objects like
Pluto or the Oort cloud.

The main problem is getting the many objects flying independently and
getting further apart the further out they go to gradually be drawn to each
other and link up. Once they link up, I don't it would be to difficult to
then get them to do self-assembly.

But it's that drawing together step that is the sticking point.

Bob Clark

Since you are already using Stargate technology, i.e. replicators, just
use some more, i.e. tractor beams.

--
Jim Pennino
Old April 19th 16, 09:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

..

SO it is a triade field drive. Two inertial absorbers or reflectors and one static repulser.

I do not think you can effectively repulse protons.

I was considering the concept of magnitude of force in the Sol electric propulser. The concept is a true capacitive static drive. So the meaning of force size is absolute electron charge size.

Using a sail type drive may be preferable to the Gaussian shell type. It is the meaning of voltage per square meter of capacitive surface. A sail could have a lower charge density and still equal the sphere geometry. Meaning a lower voltage on the sail is allowable.

The question then becomes the cost of high voltage. Meaning the larger sail area makes the larger drive force. A direct relation of sail size to Sol power exists.
Old May 1st 16, 06:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Fusion is great for interplanetary flight. Inadequate for interstellar flight.

Positronium in a smart crystal provides adequate means for interstellar flight.

Laser light sail also provides adequate means for interstellar flight.

Colliding large chunks of shaped iron at 1/3 light speed creates micro black holes. Interacting black holes taps zero point efficiently through Penrose process. This is adequate for fast interstellar travel (high gee) and time travel which circumvents speed of light limits.

Is it me or is Hawking past his prime used by promoters for anything they want to promote? Like the next drug craze that will fry the mind of a generation? Just before we are chipped.

http://sickhorses.com/2015/08/09/ste...human-history/

The oligarchy is continuing their ongoing programme

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u8fVoDXYkBQ

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-t...ic-literature/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fv=X6J...Mw&app=desktop

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eeEWPbTad_Q

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/human...ipping-agenda/

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hzyq4BXTkhQ

Old May 22nd 16, 09:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
Robert Clark[_5_]

Suppose we made the probes at the virus or bacteria scale then used
self-assembly to form a macroscale spacecraft say size of Mars Pathfinder.
Then we might only need a ground laser of currently existing size, say a few
hundred kilowatts, to send multiple nanoscale components to relativistic
speeds.

Know of references for doing self-assembly with components at the nanoscale?

Bob Clark

Finally, nanotechnology can now fulfill its potential to revolutionize
21st-century technology, from the space elevator, to private, orbital
launchers, to 'flying cars'.
This crowdfunding campaign is to prove it:

Nanotech: from air to space.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...ce/x/13319568/
"William Mook" wrote in message

A solar pumped laser at 1/50th AU, operating at 3.42 MW per square meter, is
2500x solar intensity, which is outlined in my solar energy patent, and
routinely achieved in the 1990s in my shop.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20050051205

US 7081584

An emitter operating at 250 nm wavelength over a distance of 800 AU can form
a spot efficiently that's 5 km in diameter using an objective that's 5 km in
diameter.

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip...0.1063/1.93625
http://news.mit.edu/2013/chips-that-...eer-light-0109
http://www.deepspace.ucsb.edu/wp-con...aper_R05.p df

A 5 km diameter sphere that's 1 micron thick made of structured silicene
occupies 78.54 cubic meters of space and efficiently folds into a 5,320 mm
diameter sphere that weighs 94.25 tonnes. Placed into LEO polar orbit, in
constant sunlight, with a 100 tonne launcher, it inflates to 5 km diameter
using solar power.

It collectes 26.86 billion watts on orbit around Earth, and ejects material
from its surface at 120 km/sec. . It absorbs light energy efficintly from
the sun across the range of visible colours, and fires up an array ion
engines that eject 3.73 kg/sec of propellant producing 45.65 tonnes force of
thrust, accelerating the satellite at 0.58 gees.
---

Old May 22nd 16, 10:37 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
[email protected]

In sci.physics Robert Clark wrote:

Suppose we made the probes at the virus or bacteria scale then used
self-assembly to form a macroscale spacecraft say size of Mars Pathfinder.
Then we might only need a ground laser of currently existing size, say a few
hundred kilowatts, to send multiple nanoscale components to relativistic
speeds.

Know of references for doing self-assembly with components at the nanoscale?

Bob Clark

Star Trek the Next Generation and Star Gate SG1.

--
Jim Pennino

Stephen Hawking New Theory Alok Dixit Astronomy Misc 2 November 27th 12 03:23 PM
STEPHEN HAWKING DOING NICELY, THANK YOU Ed. Conrad Astronomy Misc 0 February 24th 12 12:09 PM
STEPHEN HAWKING'S LOGIC Pentcho Valev Astronomy Misc 4 January 10th 11 10:53 AM
Stephen Hawking Pat Flannery History 8 June 16th 06 11:18 AM
Stephen Hawking MoFo Amateur Astronomy 4 June 16th 06 05:56 AM