gus grissom

Old November 25th 13, 12:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

Default gus grissom

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...6pLid%3D410584
Old November 25th 13, 07:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_19_]

On Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:10:20 PM UTC-6, bob haller wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...6pLid%3D410584

....Boy, in the old days of this group, we'd have a flame war going, with "scott grissom" in the middle trying to blame NASA and NAA for this letter, and probably claiming it was forged by the same black ops team that "stole" that "missing switch" or whatever it was he kept trying to find.

Side note: this is probably the first post in a decade where Bbo Hallr didn't misspell any words :P

OM
Old November 25th 13, 03:14 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

yep this place is dead......
Old January 19th 14, 09:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_19_]

On Monday, November 25, 2013 8:14:18 AM UTC-6, bob haller wrote:
yep this place is dead......

....Yeah, and you had a lot to do with its demise, Bbo. Hope you're ****ing satisfied with yourself, you pathetic, illiterate catamite.
Old January 20th 14, 04:11 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

Default Death of Newsgroups [was gus grissom]

On 1/20/2014 8:51 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Monday, November 25, 2013 8:14:18 AM UTC-6, bob haller wrote:
yep this place is dead......

...Yeah, and you had a lot to do with its demise, Bbo. Hope you're
****ing satisfied with yourself, you pathetic, illiterate catamite.

That and the advent of web based forums where you could do things like
post pictures (gasp!) along with your text.

Still, I'll agree that most of Bob's posts were worse than worthless.
Endless criticizing of NASA for imaginary safety problems followed by
criticism that they weren't doing enough. Sorry Bob, but you can't do
anything in manned spaceflight without incurring some risk.

Jeff

IMO I agree with Jeff's first paragraph. Some folks point to the days
when AOL hooked up to Usenet newsgroups as the beginning of the end.
While that certainly increased the noise volume of noob posts, to say
that was the reason for demise of news given all the sophisticated
filtering clients available at the time, with that reasoning I have to
disagree. Also newsgroups always supported the ability to have moderated
groups. Many of the space groups (like sci.space.tech for example) still
are.

No, I believe the *real* demise of newsgroups in general was the advent
of web forums. Providing a more natural graphic format than is possible
with newsgroups and with moderation the accepted "norm" and with most
charging subscription fees, you don't get into the endless flame-wars,
and poorly informed or just plain wrong posts are quickly filtered away.
However sometimes what the actual determination of a "malformed" post
is, is subject to interpretation. Forum "editors" have enormous sway, to
the point of censorship. That is one of the reasons why I haven't
abandoned newsgroups, where anyone can post anything.

Usually it's just noise, but every now and then comes the rare gem from
some disgruntled ex or banned forum poster.

The advent of web-based forums though has pretty much sapped the life
out of the discussion newsgroups. I see it across the board, not just in
the sci.space.* groups.

Dave

Gus Grissom's son Dean History 38 June 30th 13 01:49 AM
Gus Grissom's son bob haller History 6 June 27th 13 04:39 AM
Gus Grissom HawkEye History 20 July 21st 04 01:27 AM
Gus Grissom's F-86 (Question for Scott Grissom) John Pelchat History 8 June 24th 04 03:10 AM
MR-4 and Grissom's couch Mark Herring History 4 November 26th 03 07:32 AM