A17 LRV photo

Old December 10th 12, 06:21 PM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

Default A17 LRV photo

There's a photo here of the A17 LRV:

It was originally captioned as being a photo of Schmitt,
which is why the second photo is still captioned
"... and on Earth in 2012", but presumably someone pointed
out that it's not.

Anyway, assuming that the photo is of Cernan and is the right
way round - where's the umbrella and the TV camera?
Old December 10th 12, 06:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Fevric J. Glandules" wrote in message ...

There's a photo here of the A17 LRV:

It was originally captioned as being a photo of Schmitt,
which is why the second photo is still captioned
"... and on Earth in 2012", but presumably someone pointed
out that it's not.

Anyway, assuming that the photo is of Cernan and is the right
way round - where's the umbrella and the TV camera?

I believe the TV camera was removable to be carried by the astronauts so
it's presumably on the chest mount of Schmitt (who I agree, is taking the
photo since the astronaut on the LRV has the red stripe of the Commander who
would be Cernan).

The umbrella may be behind Cernan's head. Not sure though.

Old December 10th 12, 08:53 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Lawrence

On 10/12/2012 18:21, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
There's a photo here of the A17 LRV:

It was originally captioned as being a photo of Schmitt,
which is why the second photo is still captioned
"... and on Earth in 2012", but presumably someone pointed
out that it's not.

Anyway, assuming that the photo is of Cernan and is the right
way round - where's the umbrella and the TV camera?

That photo, AS17-147-22526 was taken by Schmitt at 117:48:26. It
is one of a series taken to document the initial test drive after
the Rover was deployed. This was before the communications equipment,
TV camera, etc. had been mounted.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...17.lrvdep.html

The six photos can be viewed as a film strip he

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...174826_pan.jpg

Only the CDRs got to drive.

--

Brian W Lawrence
Wantage
Old December 11th 12, 01:38 PM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

Brian Lawrence wrote:

That photo, AS17-147-22526 was taken by Schmitt at 117:48:26. It
is one of a series taken to document the initial test drive after
the Rover was deployed. This was before the communications equipment,
TV camera, etc. had been mounted.

Thanks Brian & Greg.
Old December 18th 12, 11:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
GordonD

"Brian Lawrence" wrote in message
On 10/12/2012 18:21, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
There's a photo here of the A17 LRV:

It was originally captioned as being a photo of Schmitt,
which is why the second photo is still captioned
"... and on Earth in 2012", but presumably someone pointed
out that it's not.

Anyway, assuming that the photo is of Cernan and is the right
way round - where's the umbrella and the TV camera?

That photo, AS17-147-22526 was taken by Schmitt at 117:48:26. It
is one of a series taken to document the initial test drive after
the Rover was deployed. This was before the communications equipment,
TV camera, etc. had been mounted.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...17.lrvdep.html

The six photos can be viewed as a film strip he

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...174826_pan.jpg

Only the CDRs got to drive.

Though the controls were mounted between them so in theory either astronaut
could have done it. And given that Cernan let Schmitt fly the LM for a short
time, who's to say he didn't let him drive the LRV as well?
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

Old December 18th 12, 09:37 PM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

GordonD wrote:

Though the controls were mounted between them so in theory either astronaut
could have done it. And given that Cernan let Schmitt fly the LM for a short
time,

He did? Is that in the transcript?

who's to say he didn't let him drive the LRV as well?

Old December 30th 12, 01:40 PM posted to sci.space.history
GordonD

GordonD wrote:

Though the controls were mounted between them so in theory either
astronaut
could have done it. And given that Cernan let Schmitt fly the LM for a
short
time,

He did? Is that in the transcript?

It happened behind the Moon, apparently. I forget where I read it but I
thought it was fairly common knowledge.

Old December 30th 12, 01:59 PM posted to sci.space.history
Obviousman

I need to check my history but I thought Al Bean was the only LMP to
actually fly the LM?

Old December 30th 12, 02:18 PM posted to sci.space.history
GordonD

"Obviousman" wrote in message
I need to check my history but I thought Al Bean was the only LMP to
actually fly the LM?

Yes, you may well be right - it's quite possible that I'm remembering
incorrectly.

Thinking about it, Pete Conrad was far more likely than Gene Cernan to let
the LMP, er, pilot the LM . Especially since Schmitt was a scientist first
and pilot second.

Old January 11th 13, 09:13 PM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

GordonD wrote:

Though the controls were mounted between them so in theory either
astronaut
could have done it. And given that Cernan let Schmitt fly the LM for a
short
time,

He did? Is that in the transcript?

It happened behind the Moon, apparently. I forget where I read it but I
thought it was fairly common knowledge.

What "flying" took place while they were in orbit going round the back?

Genuine question.

UFO Photo Ray Astronomy Misc 4 August 4th 09 11:02 AM
TALK.ORIGINS POSTS PHOTO OF REAL TERRORIST OF 911 -- You can See the Photo Now Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 0 September 3rd 07 03:06 AM
Photo Starlord Amateur Astronomy 0 June 19th 07 02:44 AM
Magic Photo, easily blend your digigtal photo onto another image [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 0 April 14th 06 12:33 AM
What's in this photo? Jeff Root Astronomy Misc 5 July 10th 03 09:26 PM