stimulus package

Old January 10th 10, 02:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jonathan

Default stimulus package

"Val Kraut" wrote in message

" Kennedy's goal of putting a man on the moon in that decade worked and
created hundreds of thousands of jobs and new products and new companies
to make them.
What we need now is a similar goal of building a moon base before the
decade is out so we can

.....generate a few thousand jobs for a few years at the cost of
some ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS. Perhaps
the most inefficient way of creating jobs ever imagined.

build our new generation space ships there and
launch them from there to Mars and other places. Build a self sustaining
moon base with agriculture in domes and mining for minerals, smelters
and everything needed to be a new self sustaining human colony.

It's amazing the anti-space arguments you hear - "we should spend the money
here on Earth - not in space" The money is being spent on Earth

....or we could spend the money on a space goal that has tangible benefits
to...society...not the aerospace industry. That way the huge expense of
a space project could be justified. We need a space goal that is more than
just the make-work program on a moon base, we need a goal that can do
nothing less than

...........CHANGE THE WORLD! Just like Apollo.

Instead of either/or, either spend the money on space, or spend it
elsewhere. How about thinking clearly for a moment, and saying we
can spend the money ....in space...in such a way as to produce far
greater benefits to society than if that SAME MONEY was spend
conventionally. Turn a space program into a way of MORE efficiently
spending taxpayer money, instead of appearing as nothing more than
a black hole we throw money into.

NASA has been flirting with a forward looking goal for decades. A goal
which could potentially solve global warming, replace fossil fuels, end
the nuclear waste issues, provide power to the third world rural massed
and turn America into the next energy 'Saudi Arabia' for the rest of the
century. A goal which can provide world-wide social justice, prosperity
and national security by ending the prospect of future wars over oil.

A goal that inspires the left and the right, the do-gooders and the hawks.
Inspirers the greens and big business alike. Which inspires Americans
and the rest of the world as well. A goal NO ONE could oppose on principle
and doesn't have the insurmountable technological hurdles which currently
plague the other sources of energy.

CLEAN, ABUNDANT ENERGY FROM SPACE

Here's a nice pitch for Space Solar Power, even the
business community is close to realizing the enormous
potential for PROFIT.

http://www.spaceenergy.com/i/flash/ted_presentation

SAVE NASA BY SAVING THE WORLD

Think outside the box, take a chance, do something
daring just like APOLLO. And change the world for
the better, just like APOLLO.

Space Energy claims they can have the first 1GW solar satellite
five years after its funded.,,,without any help from NASA or
the US govt. What if SSP became a national goal?

http://www.spaceenergy.com/s/Default.htm

and forms an
important part of our economic and technology engine. We're not spending the
money hiring outer space creatures. Kennedy understood this. Nancy Pelosi
screams like hell if they try to shut down a NASA project in Her District
(then she understands jobs) but seems luke warm in general. It seems most of
our politicians aren't capable or don't want to understand the big picture of
being a world leader. The moon is becoming more attractive as we learn more
details about it's composition and the capabilities that could be developed.
Even the present plans are sort of funny - in November 1962 Grumman won the LM
program - we'd never done this before and years of development test were
required to finalize the design - yet we landed two vehicle in 1969. The
present plan won't have a manned landing until 2020 at the earliest.