Pods to the Asteroids

Old January 28th 12, 08:59 AM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Default Pods to the Asteroids

Have we discussed the plan championed by Landau and Strange? I'm catching
up with my print reading, and when I saw their article in the Dec 2011
Scientific American, I thought it was strange that I didn't recognize it as
an SSP topic.

Their plan involves a capsule ride to a deep-space ion-drive ship, used in
a kind of powered-shuttler scheme, and to support EV tasks with pods.
Test flight would be to an orbit above the lunar south pole to control a
fleet of robotic explorers.

"Focusing on an easier mission could stunt exploration by setting a dead
end for technological capability. Conversely, striving for a harder
mission could perpetually delay any meaningful exploration by setting
targets too far out of reach. Our desgin baseline falls between these
extremes. It is a one-year round-trip that launches in 2034, with 30 days
spent exploring asteroid 2008 EV5."
(pg 62)

What's the reaction of SSP to the 3 principles they use: flexibility, not
having to newly invent everything, and to design a program that can
maintain forward momentum even if one component runs into problems or
delays.

/dps
Old January 31st 12, 11:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
snidely

Default Landau-Strange baseline design

Any comments? Anybody have links to other documents of this plan?

Snidely scribbled something like ...

Have we discussed the plan championed by Landau and Strange? I'm
catching up with my print reading, and when I saw their article in the
Dec 2011 Scientific American, I thought it was strange that I didn't

oops, should have used a synonym.

Old February 1st 12, 04:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
David Spain

Snidely wrote:
Any comments?

Their plan involves a capsule ride to a deep-space ion-drive ship,
used in a kind of powered-shuttler scheme, and to support EV tasks
with pods. Test flight would be to an orbit above the lunar south
pole to control a fleet of robotic explorers.

I suppose that's an interesting 'test'. But robotic lunar exploration is just
as easily accomplished from Earth as it is from an "ion-drive ship". And
likely for a whole lot less $$$ and for a lot longer period of time.

Dave

Old February 1st 12, 05:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
snidely

David Spain scribbled something like ...

Snidely wrote:
Any comments?

Their plan involves a capsule ride to a deep-space ion-drive ship,
used in a kind of powered-shuttler scheme, and to support EV tasks
with pods. Test flight would be to an orbit above the lunar south
pole to control a fleet of robotic explorers.

I suppose that's an interesting 'test'. But robotic lunar exploration
is just as easily accomplished from Earth as it is from an "ion-drive
ship". And likely for a whole lot less $$$ and for a lot longer period
of time.

The idea of doing the lunar trip is to do a shakedown cruise near enough to
earth for safety, and the robot control is just a serving of gravy on top
of the rest of the mission objectives.

The trip to 2008 EV is the centerpiece of the baseline plan, hence my
original subject line.

/dps
Old February 2nd 12, 11:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
snidely

Snidely scribbled something like ...

David Spain scribbled something like ...

Snidely wrote:

SciAm has supplemented the December article with a Skype Interview
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-space-landau-
strange

Any comments?

Their plan involves a capsule ride to a deep-space ion-drive ship,
used in a kind of powered-shuttler scheme, and to support EV tasks
with pods. Test flight would be to an orbit above the lunar south
pole to control a fleet of robotic explorers.

I suppose that's an interesting 'test'. But robotic lunar exploration
is just as easily accomplished from Earth as it is from an "ion-drive
ship". And likely for a whole lot less $$$ and for a lot longer
period of time.

The idea of doing the lunar trip is to do a shakedown cruise near
enough to earth for safety, and the robot control is just a serving of
gravy on top of the rest of the mission objectives.

It is also approximately the starting point for the Oberth maneuver for
the trip to Mars or 2008 EV

The trip to 2008 EV is the centerpiece of the baseline plan, hence my
original subject line.

So nobody here has been reading about the Landau-Strange-et-alia plan?
(Merryl Azriel apparently has, with a brief mention in Space Safety
Magazine at
http://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/2...ics-engineers-
explain-roadmap-crewed-mars-mission/)

Here, by the way, is a set of slides at seti.org providing some
additional data, with Jonathan Battat as an additional author:

http://tinyurl.com/LandauSEPslides

There a short list of potential asteroid destinations at ESA:
http://www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/doc/MAD/p...-MAD-2010-(DPS)
Humans2Asteroid.pdf

Those two seem to come together at
http://targetneo.jhuapl.edu/pdfs/sessions/TargetNEO-Session3-Landau.pdf

/dps
Old February 3rd 12, 07:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
David Spain

Snidely wrote:
So nobody here has been reading about the Landau-Strange-et-alia plan?

No sorry, the day job has been keeping me busy.
Thanks for the links, I'll try to take a look over the weekend.

Dave

Enterprise OV-101 missing OMS pods Allen Newman History 78 December 6th 04 02:37 AM
Enterprise OV-101 missing OMS pods Allen Newman Space Shuttle 71 November 13th 04 11:25 PM
He3 on asteroids? Josh Gigantino Policy 16 February 5th 04 08:54 AM
asteroids amanda Astronomy Misc 18 January 29th 04 06:00 PM
Escape pods for shuttles could extend STS service life Hallerb Space Shuttle 1 August 4th 03 09:45 AM