Critical Test for the Big Bang and Discrete Fractal Paradigms

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 20th 06, 05:39 PM posted to sci.astro.research
[email protected]

Default Critical Test for the Big Bang and Discrete Fractal Paradigms

I have enjoyed the give-and-take of the thread entitled "Good News for
the Big Bang Theory", and I intend to keep contributing to it when I
think I have something useful to add.

However, my main interest in participating in that thread was in
demonstrating that an exciting clash of paradigms is about to unfold,
as I will review below. Because the "Good News" thread is moving in
many other directions, I thought I would present a clear, well-defined
summary of my claim via a new thread. Subsequent additions to this new
thread will hopefully remain on-topic.

The most recent copy of ApJ (Vol. 649, 1-13, 2006) has a lead article
by Diemand et al on cosmology. The authors state:

"The key idea of the standard cosmological paradigm for the formation
of structure in the universe - that primordial density fluctuations
grow by gravitational instability driven by collisionless CDM - is
constantly being elaborated on and explored in detail through
supercomputer simulations and tested against a variety of astrophysical
observations. The leading candidate for DM is the neutralino, a WIMP
predicted by the supersymmetric theory of particle physics."

1. CRUCIAL IDEA (I): Let us be up front about it. The standard
cosmological paradigm retrodicts that the dark matter is CDM. If the
dark matter is not in the form of some kind of enormous population of
subatomic particles, then the standard cosmological paradigm will have
been shown to have a fatal flaw. We will know that a new paradigm is
required. The old paradigm will be recognized as a limited
approximation that must be superseded by a more encompassing paradigm
that solves the DM enigma correctly.

2. CRUCIAL IDEA (II): The unbounded Discrete Fractal Paradigm predicted
(ApJ, 322, 34-36, 1988)definitively (prior, testable, quantitative and
non-adjustable) that the dark matter must be in the form of
stellar-mass ultracompact objects (Kerr-Newman black holes). The mass
peaks that are the largest, and most likely to be observed first, are
found at 0.15 solar masses, 0.58 solar masses, and 8 x 10^-5 solar
masses. The stellar scale of nature's hierarchy is dominated by these
three subpopulations. I submit to you that you cannot get a more
definitive prediction than this! See www.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw for
full information on the unbounded fractal paradigm.

So, a critical test with a lot riding on it is underway. If CDM does
not exist, then the standard paradigm needs more than a new bell or
whistle tacked on. It will need replacement.

If the definitive DM prediction of the unbounded fractal paradigm is
vindicated, then it will have demonstrated that it alone is the right
path towards a bold and incredibly beautiful new understanding of
nature.

Actually, for those who are a bit impatient to see how this plays out,
nature has given us some hints of what the solution to the dark matter
enigma is likely to look like. If you go to the arxiv.org preprint
site and print out copies of astro-ph/0002363 by Oldershaw and
astro-ph/0607358 by Calchi Novati et al, you will get an overview of
results to date. They are very exciting.