Weirder election than Battlestar Galactica's

Old April 2nd 06, 08:54 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Default Weirder election than Battlestar Galactica's

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 01:03:01 +1000, in a place far, far away, "Johnboy"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

I'm a peaceable person with a fine tertiary education who lives in a
very beautiful, sophisticated city of 4 million, in a pleasant,
law-abiding country where the only people who use guns to fight crime
are members of the police force.

I'd take it over any place in the USA were yokel's run around armed to
the teeth, because I know were my family would be safer.

Unfortunately, most poor people feel the same way.

Oddly enough, I'm a peaceful well-travelled person with an extensive
higher education who lives in a very nice, sophisticated city of 12
million, in a pleasant law abiding country where gun ownership is legal
- yes, we call it the USA.

I guess it's just a matter of how well you can configure your life,
versus how much you prefer a spoonfed life where you let mommy and
daddy take care of you - and I can certainly serve up a few more
stereotypes to counter your own stereotypes, unless we agree to deal in
realities.

Old April 2nd 06, 09:41 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:28:36 GMT, h (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

But I am clearly not a nutcase, so your argument fails because
fascists would not lock me up.

No? Fascists don't lock people up who call them fascists?

No.

--

"A politician's neck should always have a noose around it.
It keeps him upright."
Old April 2nd 06, 09:47 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 13:44:36 -0500, "Robert J. Kolker"
wrote:

Religion has nothing to do with my reading escatology. I am interested
in what others might believe and therefore engage in self-fulfilling
actions.

What do you care what nonsense others believe?

To see if it is self-fulfilling.

The End of the World has
been preached and predicted hundreds of times incorrectly and based on
Daniel and Revelations. Now what does that tell you about the underlying
theory?

It tells me that you do not understand escatology, in particular
Revelation and its supporting documents (Daniel, Ezekial, etc).

The formation of the state of Israel begins the countdown. It does not
hurt to see if the rest of it is fulfilled. When it is shown to be
bogus, I will consider it irrelevant. But not until.

Watch for the upcoming War of Gog and Magog (Russia and Radical
Islam). Then watch for the rebuilding of the Temple once the Jews kick
the Arabs out of Jerusalem. It could be in reverse order - I have
forgotten the timeline.

It costs me nothing to keep an eye on this just in case there are
people who take it seriously enough to make it happen. I don't care
why it happens, only that it does or does not.

Old April 2nd 06, 09:52 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Bob wrote:
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:53:22 -0500, "Robert J. Kolker"
wrote:

Now I am done with tobacco, foul weed!

Don't you chew tobacco?

Absolutely not. That is the quickest way to rot the gums.

Bob Kolker

Old April 2nd 06, 09:53 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:41:56 GMT, in a place far, far away,
(Bob) made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a way
as to indicate that:

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:28:36 GMT,
h (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

But I am clearly not a nutcase, so your argument fails because
fascists would not lock me up.

No? Fascists don't lock people up who call them fascists?

No.

You apparently don't have much experience with true fascists.
Old April 2nd 06, 09:54 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Bob wrote:

The American Indians had a variation on that. When one of the young
women of the tribe misbehaved, she was sent into the woods and all the
young bucks chased after her. The one who caught her got to rape her.

The Cherokee never did that.

There were over 500 separate aboriginal tribes, nations and languages in
North America. Which tribe or nation are you referring to.

Bob Kolker
Old April 2nd 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 13:47:14 -0500, "Robert J. Kolker"
wrote:

Why do you say that they were leftist queers?

YOU said it. They were Brits.

Not all Brits are leftist queers.

My estimate is that half the adult males are, based on my usage of the
word queer, which includes currently practicing homosexuals and those
who practiced before (excepting adolescent experiments).

The Church of England clergy was surveyed regarding gay clergy, gay
marriage, etc, and half of them support the gay agenda. By contrast
only 10% of the American Protestant clergy support the gay agenda.

Fully half the adult males in Britain are NOT queers. The entire
country is essentially leftist but not queer.

Old April 2nd 06, 10:57 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

Bob wrote:

Watch for the upcoming War of Gog and Magog (Russia and Radical
Islam). Then watch for the rebuilding of the Temple once the Jews kick
the Arabs out of Jerusalem. It could be in reverse order - I have
forgotten the timeline.

Don't hold your breath till biblica prophesy comes true. You will turn
blue first.

Bob Kolker

Old April 2nd 06, 11:47 PM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:25:59 +1000, in a place far, far away, "Johnboy"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

Not even bothing to care about what other countries and cultures think - and
not even caring about the idea that there might be other points of view
other than your own - leads to the sort of self-reinforcing drivel that I
see so often in this newsgroup; you all come to some self-serving opinion of
the worthlessness of other countries, cultures, or religions and then act
surprised that the "other side" holds a hostile view of your country in
return. That hostility is then incorporated into your own
USA-is-always-right-and-is-always-good meme, and is simply used to reinforce
you opinion of their worthlessness. But just perhaps you have the order of
events wrong.

Perhaps, but it seems unlikely. But it's hard to argue with such a
broad generalization. There are some other countries that it's useful
to care about their opinions, and some that aren't. There are some
people in those countries whose opinions are worth listening to, and
many whose are not. People are obviously going to have differences of
opinion, but many opinions about America and its culture and behavior
are based on rank ignorance as well (as you yourself displayed with
your foolish comments about the gun culture).

Most of the world gets its information about the US from a) Hollywood
movies and television shows (yeah, *that's* realistic), b) leftist
America-hating media outlets (Le Monde, Der Spiegel, the BBC, The Age,
etc.) and c) dictatorial government propaganda (most of the world
isn't democratic, in case you hadn't noticed). Few of them actually
have any knowledge of the country, or have lived here, or even visited
on vacation. So why is it I should take their criticism of a country
with which I'm much more familiar seriously, again?

Look, we have a person in this newsgroup who constantly argues that the
USA's closest and most trusted ally is full of queers, and all I see in
reply is arguments about wether they are 100% queer or 50% queer. You guys
just don't have a clue, because you guys don't look beyond the borders of
what you have been told by peope who believe the same drivel as you do.

Do you think very many of us take "Bob" seriously enough to even argue
with him about it? He's a nut.
Old April 3rd 06, 01:05 AM posted to alt.battlestar-galactica,rec.arts.tv,rec.models.rockets,sci.space.history

"CatPanDaddy" wrote in message
. ..

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message

CatPanDaddy wrote:
But radical jihad Islam is more like the common cold than Rome ever
was. It knows no physical boundaries and it mutates and assimilates.
You can't exterminate the common cold.

Make enough martyrs, the problem goes away.

Martyrs tend to make these situations worse, not better.

Not if you make *enough* of them.