Dehydrated from Summer observing?

Old July 16th 03, 08:00 AM
Mark Ensley

Default Dehydrated from Summer observing?

Living in a climate where just walking around can get you seriously
dehydrated, I've found that Emer'gen-C by Alacer really helps.

I've been reading posts about observing in the Summer heat and thought
I'd recommend one of my favorite cures for dehydration.

It's a dry powder sports drink like stuff that kicks Gatorade's
behind.

You can find it in most health food stores, and I've found the best
rates in Whole Foods, where it's listed for less than $9.00 a box,
usually.

Here's the less than helpful website:

http://www.alacercorp.com/top.htm#Emergen-C

They're a bit nutty, like many health product producers, but this
stuff is genuinely helpful. I worked in a health food store for a
summer and this was one of the few universally respected products.

It's a powder that comes in boxes of 36, in various flavors. I like
the cranberry, because many of the others tend to be a bit kool-aid
like and are too sweet. I like something a bit crisp when I'm
overheated and thirsty. The original gatorade like lemon-lime is
alright, also.

Here's the list of ingredients:

Calories 18
Fat 0
Sodium 60 mg
Carbohydrates 3.9 g
Sugars 3.9 g
Protein 0

Vitamin C 1000mg 1111%
Vitamin B1 .38mg 25%
Vitamin B2 .43mg 25%
Niacin 5 mg 25%
Folic Acid 12.5 mcg 3.1%
Vitamin B12 25 mcg 416%
Pantothenic acid 2.5 mg 25%
Potassium 200 mg 5.7%
Magnesium 60 mg 15%
Calcium 50 mg 5%
Zinc 2 mg 13%
Manganese 1 mg 50%
Chromium 10 mcg 8.3%
Alpha-lipoic acid 1 mg
Cranberry powder 1000 mg

In a base of ascorbic, citric, tartaric, asparic, and malic acids,
quercitin.

Sweetened with fructose.

Naturally flavored.

It's a bit fizzy when mixed with water.

On several occasions I've been dangerously overheated, and drinking a
glass of water mixed with this stuff has made me feel better very
quickly. Several atheletes I know swear by the stuff.

Disclaimer, I have no connection with the company. In fact, I'd like
one, since I go through the stuff pretty quickly!

Damn fine product. Dehydration makes you need more than just water,
eat some fruit and/or take some of this powder with a big glass of
water.

Let's keep hydrated out there.

-Mark Ensley