15" StarSplitter: First Light

Old July 15th 03, 04:50 PM
Tom T.

Default 15" StarSplitter: First Light

15" f5 StarSplitter: First Light

Observer: Tom Trusock

NELM: Mag 3.5 – Mag 4.
Moon Phase: Full
Equipment: 15" StarSplitter F5 (Swayze), Paracorr – EFL 2191mm, BW
Optik 30mm (73x), 22 Panoptic (100x), 13 mm nagler t6 (168x), 9mm
nagler (243x), 3-6 zoom (730x-365x)
Seeing: Pickering 5?
Notes: Grab and go session did not allow for cooldown of mirror.
Mirror began to reach equilibrium at end of session. Even so, scope
provided very nice images up to ~170x). Diagonal damaged in shipping
– new one enroute from Astrosystems.

Well, I'm a happy camper this evening. The images in the 15 inch
under a full moon are nearly as bright as the images in my 10" under
dark skies. The targets were nothing spectacular: Vega, the Double
Double, Polaris, M57, Albireo, M27, M4, and M13 – just mainly tests to
make sure the mirror was positioned so that I could reach focus with
all my eyepieces. (I couldn't at first – had to back the mirror down
about half an inch.) The BW Optik 30mm performs surprisingly well at
f5 w/ the paracorr. Not quite as well as at f7.5 but well enough I
don't feel the need to order a pano 35 tomorrow.

I thought I'd try Pledge on the Alt bearings (Someone in one of the
groups recommended it) – never again. It was easier to move - once
you GOT it moving, but the sticktion was terrible. I wound up
cleaning most of it off in the middle of the session. Back to turtle
wax and cooking oil.

Vega was the focus test in early twilight. It's there, and it's white.
I should note that it's the first time I've seen the companion (I
think).

Polaris and it's companion were there as well. NEWBIE TIP: These two
make good stars for sighting in your telrad or finder scope if you
have an undriven mount. I seem to spend lots of time looking at them
lately.

The Double Double was an easy split at 168x - even with the mirror not
cooled down, and black space could be detected between the components
at 100x - but it wasn't a clean split - I need to return at low power
after the mirror has properly cooled, and when seeing is a little
better.

M4 was nearly impossible to pick up in the 8x50 finder this evening –
it was even a rather poor showing at 73x in early twilight. Still an
easy find because of it's position relative to Antares.

M57 was a similar standout in early evening. A little later in the
evening, the brighter stars off the ring (mag 13.1 and 14.2) were
fairly easy with direct vision. Not to shabby for the sky not being
dark. I think I can get to like this aperture thing. Best views were
with the 13mm nagler (168x). I think this eyepiece is going to be a
real winner on this scope. I'm not surprised. It's my favorite on my
10" f7.5 (same focal length - paracorr).

Albireo was beautiful and an easy catch in the 13mm nagler on the way
to the dumbbell. Two colored headlights on their way towards me. M27
somewhat surprised me. It was a little more ragged than I recall
seeing it before. Either it was the aperture or the light pollution
from the moon – I don't know. Can't tell if I was seeing more or less
than I'm used to. I'd suspect less, but it was still a little
different from what I expected. Comments?

Given the conditions, I was quite pleased with the views of M13. They
easily
rivaled the best views I've ever had in the TV102, and drew even
to some really good evenings with Lurch (my 10" f7.5). Given that it
was a full moon, and I was observing in twilight, I'm very impressed.
168x yielded the best view with stars resolved clear across the face.

The Swayze mirror looks very good, no immediate signs of optical
defects, and with the paracorr performance is quite good to the edge
with the naglers and panoptics. I must admit I expected good
performace from Swayze. My 10" is also a swayze and it stacks right
up there with any other 10 inch class mirror I've ever seen.

The JMI DX-3 focuser is adequate but not nearly as nice the
feathertouch on my 10" - no surprises there.

As to the construction of the scope, the build quality is excellent,
the mount is solid, and the woodworking is very well done.

I think I'll sleep now, because when the moon goes away I may not get
much of a chance (if I'm lucky).

I think this scope will keep me busy for a while. I'm hoping to get it
under dark skies after the moon gets out of the way, and I'm also
looking forward to getting the binoviewer on it.

All in all, I am very pleased with what I've seen of the scope so far.

Clear Skies

Tom T.
Old July 15th 03, 08:16 PM
John Carruthers

I thought I'd try Pledge on the Alt bearings (Someone in one of the
groups recommended it) - never again. It was easier to move - once
you GOT it moving, but the sticktion was terrible. I wound up
cleaning most of it off in the middle of the session. Back to turtle
wax and cooking oil.

Have you tried a "Flash Dash" (after the wax) ?
Works for me.
jc

---

Old July 15th 03, 09:26 PM
Greg Crinklaw

John Carruthers wrote:
Back to turtle wax and cooking oil.

Ick! I sure wouldn't reccomend cooking oil. Most will spoil. Have you
tried Armor All on top of the turtle wax? Works well for me.

Clear skies,
Greg

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

Old July 15th 03, 10:39 PM
Phil Wheeler

Tdcarls wrote:
I bought a 12.5" Portaball this weekend and after doing some searching online
as to what wax to use, I decided to use some spray-on Turtle Wax.

After applying a little bit by cloth it made a huge difference in the motion of
the scope.

Todd,

The wording implies you went to a store and just picked one up (vs. a
drawn out ordering process). Is that possible?

Phil

Old July 15th 03, 10:57 PM
Tdcarls

Sorry for the misunderstanding---it was used. A local guy had it for sale and
and it was a good deal so now it's mine.

Todd,

The wording implies you went to a store and just picked one up (vs. a
drawn out ordering process). Is that possible?

Phil
Todd

http://www.backyardastronomy.com
http://www.skynewsmagazine.com
http://www.simpleastrophotography.com

Old July 15th 03, 11:08 PM
Phil Wheeler

Tdcarls wrote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding---it was used. A local guy had it for sale and
and it was a good deal so now it's mine.

Good for you, Todd. That makes it even sweeter!

I checked the website just now and it seems to be order and wait 8-12 months

Phil

Old July 15th 03, 11:19 PM
Tdcarls

As long as you can find a scope that's in great shape, I think used is the way
to go a lot of the time. I take it Tom's new scope was used as well.

Old July 15th 03, 11:29 PM
Phil Wheeler

Tdcarls wrote:
As long as you can find a scope that's in great shape, I think used is the way
to go a lot of the time.

Indeed: Saves money and gives instant gratification.

My scopes are all more modest (8" DOB, 8" Newt on GEM, 5" SCT [my best,
really], 80 mm WF Celestron refractor on GEM and a ETX-90EC for really
portable travel and loaning to children of mine).

I sure would like to have a good sized (12") Dob one of these days.
and used will be the only way I can justify it. And it would have to be
easy to travel with (I'm abt a 2-3 hr drive from dark skies, and now
take the 8" Dob and C5+ when I camp).

Phil

Old July 16th 03, 12:46 AM
Tom T.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:26:37 -0600, Greg Crinklaw
wrote:

John Carruthers wrote:
Back to turtle wax and cooking oil.

Ick! I sure wouldn't reccomend cooking oil. Most will spoil. Have you
tried Armor All on top of the turtle wax? Works well for me.

Clear skies,
Greg

Greg,

I thought that as well, but I haven't had a problem with it. I never
would have tried it on my own, but it was recommended for use on the
AZ bearing by Rob Teeter, and when he shipped me my 10" he had put it
on - that was several months ago. Motions are *extremely* smooth.
Hasn't gone bad yet. (Might have rubbed off tho).

I had heard Armor All also created sticktion problems, but I'm willing
to give it a try. You put it on *top* of the turttle wax? Which
turtle wax do you use - just the regular paste?

Thanks

Tom T.

Old July 16th 03, 05:14 AM
Ratboy99

I thought that as well, but I haven't had a problem with it.

Cooking oil is organic and turns rancid after time.
rat
~( );

email: remove 'et' from .com(et) in above email address