[fitsbits] INSTRUME and TELESCOP

Old May 6th 09, 08:47 PM posted to sci.astro.fits
Steve Allen

Default [fitsbits] INSTRUME and TELESCOP

On Wed 2009-05-06T15:27:04 -0400, Bob Garwood hath writ:
The few successful attempts I'm
aware of typically involve steps like "I know this SDFITS file came from
aips++, so I need to do this to that field to make sense of it." It
would be ideal if those types of steps wouldn't be necessary.

Alas, in many cases the initial requirements on keyword values were
somewhat lax (if they existed at all). The only way to make that not
necessary is to fight the battles of adding bits to the standard.

In order to avoid utter confusion that usually requires adding new,
previously unused keywords to the standard in order to require that
they may only have values with specific, precise characteristics.

This is the battle that is in progress right now for the time-related
keywords of FITS WCS paper 5. It is particularly tricky to deal with
keywords that relate to star/end/duration of an observation or
exposure. There are many keywords already in use by various agencies
with various meanings. "All the good names are already taken", so
the paper is suggesting things like XPOSURE.

I'll close with this repeated plea that everyone from radio to gamma
ray look at the keywords related to exposure times in the draft of
FITS WCS 5
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/TimeWCS/
and reply to the fitswcs list.

--
Steve Allen WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855