leaf blower on mars probes

Old June 12th 08, 07:22 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

Default leaf blower on mars probes

How come we dont have a blower attachement on the mars probes. As
evidenced by the recent lander, the engines blew away the surface dirt
unveiling presumably-ice. They should have a blower fan on the end of
the arm to manually blow away dirt. Is it too much of a power draw?

Old June 12th 08, 10:21 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jochem Huhmann

" writes:

How come we dont have a blower attachement on the mars probes. As
evidenced by the recent lander, the engines blew away the surface dirt
unveiling presumably-ice. They should have a blower fan on the end of
the arm to manually blow away dirt. Is it too much of a power draw?

A rocket engine is a different beast than a fan trying to move what's
essentially a dirty vacuum. In that thin atmosphere you'd need quite a
powerful blower to blow away soil better than you can scrape it away
with the arm...

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."

The Maple Leaf Lands on Mars: Phoenix Carries Canadian Science and Technology to the Red Planet (Forwarded) Andrew Yee[_1_] News 0 May 26th 08 03:58 PM
Echoes by Leaf .. Bee Misc 52 April 30th 05 03:05 AM
Leaf Obstruction Tony Amateur Astronomy 1 November 5th 03 06:33 AM
Are we getting anything of extreme value from the Mars probes? Littlemac558 Policy 4 July 8th 03 10:41 AM