Vixen SP Dec axis

Old July 16th 03, 02:46 PM
Beta Persei

Default Vixen SP Dec axis

Hi everybody.
I'm new to this newsgroup and my first message is a request for hints. I
have a Vixen Super Polaris equatorial mount, bought second-hand, which Dec
axis is quite rigid. Moreover, the RA dial ring does not turn, probably due
to prolonged non-use, dust accumulation and dried grease. I would consider
to replace the old grease on Dec axis, but before I disassemble it I wonder
if any of you already did this task and have some important warning or tip
to supply. I don't want to have flying springs or bolt and washers cascades
when I open it.
Thanks in advance,
Beta Persei (Italy)

Old July 16th 03, 04:25 PM
Carsten A. Arnholm

Beta Persei wrote:
Hi everybody.
I'm new to this newsgroup and my first message is a request for
hints. I have a Vixen Super Polaris equatorial mount, bought
second-hand, which Dec axis is quite rigid. Moreover, the RA dial
ring does not turn, probably due to prolonged non-use, dust
accumulation and dried grease. I would consider to replace the old
grease on Dec axis, but before I disassemble it I wonder if any of
you already did this task and have some important warning or tip to
supply. I don't want to have flying springs or bolt and washers
cascades when I open it.
Thanks in advance,
Beta Persei (Italy)

Hi,

I have a Super Polaris as well, there are images of it
here http://home.online.no/~arnholm/astro/SP/
and here http://home.online.no/~arnholm/astro/gpdx_sp/

There are several fine adjustment screws on the DEC axis (actually 5),
essentially identical to what is shown for the RA axis here
http://home.online.no/~arnholm/astro..._detail_sp.jpg You should be
able to remove most of the rigidity through adjustements, I believe. I would
try that before any other major operation.

The RA setting circle is very rigid on my SP as well. It does move if you
try hard, but I don't use it, as I use stepper motor positions for feedback
to PC instead.

Good luck
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://home.online.no/~arnholm/astro/astro.htm
N59.776 E10.457

Spacecraft Doppler&Light Speed Extrapolation ralph sansbury Astronomy Misc 91 August 1st 13 01:32 PM
Moon Spin Axis Dave Torgerson Astronomy Misc 1 December 7th 03 01:14 AM
NOVA's "Magnetic Storm" and CellWell1 & CellWell2 Archimedes Plutonium Astronomy Misc 12 November 24th 03 04:45 AM
Uranus's axis Bill Astronomy Misc 25 September 10th 03 07:30 PM
The transition from heliocentric to the galactic axis Oriel36 Astronomy Misc 22 August 28th 03 07:37 AM