[fitsbits] Potential new compression method for FITS tables

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 22nd 10, 05:45 PM posted to sci.astro.fits
Forveille thierry

Default [fitsbits] Potential new compression method for FITS tables

On 12/22/2010 05:32 PM, Tim Pearson wrote:
As a FITS user, i.e., an astronomer, I am very uncomfortable with the idea that I may be sent a valid FITS bintable that I can't make sense of. I regularly use tools like TOPCAT and fv (and my own homegrown tools) to inspect binary tables, and I would very much prefer that the tools would tell me "I do not understand this file" rather than just displaying garbage. When considering new ways of storing data within binary tables, please keep in mind naive users like me!

My concerns could be simply addressed by using a new extension type instead of BINTABLE. Programs that understand the compression convention would accept such extensions transparently; those that do not would tell me something is wrong.

For what it's worth, I am on the same line. I see little to be gained by
using the BINTABLE extension
for compressed tables, and significant potential trouble for end users.