Is Artificial Radiation Worse Than Natural? Yes!

Old October 31st 03, 02:11 AM
Anonymous Sender

Default Is Artificial Radiation Worse Than Natural? Yes!

Biologically, artificial sources are far more poisonous than natural ones
and could explain the dramatic increases in external and interal cancers
during the previous 100 years.

82% of radiation is "natural" and only 18% is "artificial" or man-made.

http://www.umich.edu/~radinfo/introduction/radrus.html

Yet, my thesis is the minimalization of man-made radiation is highly
misleading. One does not need to be a nuclear physicist to appreciate this.
All that propaganda you have been fed over the years is wrong and is
dangerous to your health.

We absorb natural radiation little by little over the course of the year.
Unlike x-rays where we get a sudden jolt. Rate of irradiation is a
significant factor in assessing the biological damage.

Also, natural radiation is seldom in particle form. The Earth contains
pitchblende and other mildly radioactive isotopes but they are fixed and
unless disturbed we have little chance of contacting these substances.
Most natural radiation is thusly described as waves or subatomic particles
emanating from the Sun or outer space which can instantaneously PASS
THROUGH the body but not RESIDE within it. Much artificial radiation,
however, is in the very dangerous particulate form that can sit inside your
body and irradiate local tissue continuously until you die from the
resulting cancer.

Therefore the 18% is much more dangerous to you than the remaining 82%
Hundreds of times more dangerous.

Let us look at plutonium as an example of a man-made particulate radiation
hazard. The rays of a solid sub-critical mass of plutonium are actually
benign if not injested. Plutonium emits alpha rays, which can be stopped
by a rubber glove or a sheet of paper! You can hold in your gloved hand a
lump of plutonium without fear. But if a tiny microscopic particle of it
is inhaled, the particle can migrate into the lungs and reside there the
rest of your life. Since plutonium has a half life of 20,000 years, it
will not decay, but instead keep emitting alpha rays. These rays will
impinge on the nearby cells of the lung tissue continuously and
unrelentingly. There is no rubber glove shielding once the tiny particle
finds its home in your lung. The constant irritation to the lung alveoli
cells can cause them to become neoplastic and presto, you have lung cancer
without the benefits of cigarettes.

So, how much plutonium is there in the environment?, and how did it get
there? You cannot detect these plutonium particles with a radiation
meter!!!! If the wind or your shoes have dragged in say 100 microscopic
particles onto your living room carpet, the "background" radiation level
will be increased insignificantly. This is because the quantity of
radiation of the 100 microscopic particles is quite small and when seen by
the meter at a distance, adds little to the normal background level. The
meter will measure the "macro" but not see the "micro". And it is the
"micro" that does the damage. Expressed another way, say your room is 72
degrees in temperature and you place a red hot rivit on the floor in the
center of the room. The room thermometer will not register an increase.
But if you accidently touch the rivit, you will be burned. The heat of the
rivit is small, but its temperature is high. See? The Geiger counter will
not jump because the plutonium particles will not add much total radiation
to the room but they are "hot" if you breath in one. Now you know how your
living room carpet can give you a bad case of lung cancer.

Plutonium comes from atomic bomb fallout, almost exclusively. It is
estimated that the conversion efficiency of a WW II type plutonium bomb
(the kind of technology presumably used by developing nations) is only
about 10%. Thus for every Kilo of Pu in a weapon, .9 Kilo is dispersed
into the atmosphere where it can condense out into particles and float
around the world. Since we are talking about only the smallest particles,
the kind that can poison you, a few Kilos is enough to thoroughly poison
the whole world. It is not necessary to have enough concentration of
artificial element to even register on a detector! Just microscopic
particles and there is plenty enough to go around to seed every square foot
of the world.

No doubt every house in America has these radioactive particles residing
within the dwelling, a fact not advertised by any official agency. They do
not want to alarm you with the fact that you play Russian Roulette with
every breath. But its true and the medical statistics prove it. Beware of
the misleading statistics. If you ask the NRA to come to your house and
check it for radiation with their Geiger counter, they will report no
anomaly despite the fact that your carpet is filthy with plutonium. The
number of Geigers per second^2 will register perfectly normal on the
counter.

If somebody can prove me wrong, I will eat a bug.

P.S. There is no insurance coverage for radiation contamination of your
property, so don't bother making a claim. And you can't sue the
governments who did you the damage, either.

Old October 31st 03, 05:16 AM
Damon Hill

Anonymous Sender wrote in
acolo.com:

(specious nonsense deleted)

If somebody can prove me wrong, I will eat a bug.

Okay, but we get to chose the bug you'll have to ingest.
Be sure to chew thoroughly.

--Damon
Old November 1st 03, 05:10 AM
uray

"Anonymous Sender" wrote in message
acolo.com...
Biologically, artificial sources are far more poisonous than natural ones
and could explain the dramatic increases in external and interal cancers
during the previous 100 years.

82% of radiation is "natural" and only 18% is "artificial" or man-made.

http://www.umich.edu/~radinfo/introduction/radrus.html

I just read your message and not the attached link, so I can only comment on
the posted text. In general you seem to make some valid points, and in fact
I've heard the same points made many times. Seems there really isn't enough
data to demonstrate it one way or another. Even NASA admitted that the
worst case scenario for Cassini was a hit with Earth during it's fly by. At
the speed of flyby the craft could have completely disintegrated and its
RTGs vaporized into the atmosphere. Estimates of the effects of that varied
very widely though, everything from zero to millions of dead over time.
Although I was for the launch, I must also admit I was a little concerned
about the flyby. That sucker came *close*.

uray

Old November 2nd 03, 03:06 PM
Carsten Nielsen

"uray" wrote in message ...
"Anonymous Sender" wrote in message
acolo.com...
Biologically, artificial sources are far more poisonous than natural ones
and could explain the dramatic increases in external and interal cancers
during the previous 100 years.

82% of radiation is "natural" and only 18% is "artificial" or man-made.

http://www.umich.edu/~radinfo/introduction/radrus.html

You are mixing two things.

Particulate "radiation" is particles of radioactive dust, that settles
in your lungs or elsewhere.

They would be equally dangerous if they were from meteors as if from
Chernobyl.

But your first point is valid, there could be an increased effect form
sudden radiation. Each cell could be hit by two or more photons, where
the gradual radiation only gives one at a time.

But most man made radiation is also gradual, i.e. a few rays at a
time.

I still think the individual body cells can recover from these
individual photons, and probably also more than one.

Regards

Carsten Nielsen
Denmark