SN 2016bkv before and after animation in NGC 3184

Old April 8th 16, 08:22 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default SN 2016bkv before and after animation in NGC 3184

A supernova was discovered by Koichi Itagaki in NGC 3184 on March 21, 2016. It is officially Supernova 2016bkv. I've wanted to take it ever since along with 2016bau discovered March 13 as it is in Arp 27. The first sucker holes didn't open until April 5UT -- and sucker holes they were! More on that in a bit.

The galaxy NGC 3184 is about 40 million light-years distant so the star actually exploded 40 million years ago; its light just now reaching us. In the thumbnail image it is the lower right of two stars to the upper left of the galaxy's core. See the animated link to see a before and after image. The star may be one of many in a small blue star cluster seen in the before image as a blue object. It appears to be on the upper right edge of this little blue blob of stars. This galaxy hosted other supernovae in 1999, 1937 and 1921. That's far more often than in most galaxies, ours included.

Conditions here were awful on the night of April 5UT when this was taken. As a result I was able to only get two luminance, red and blue images with one green. The color frames were hit hard by clouds. The result was bright halos around the brightest stars as well as the entire image being fainter than I'd like. I'd taken an image of this galaxy in March of 2014 that was far better. To make this image I used that image and overlaid the new image after alignment. I cut out the stars with halos due to the clouds and combined using lighten mode. I was surprised to see nothing change but for the supernova. That's the full image with this post. I then cropped both and made an animated GIF to show the before and after views. This shows the supernova may have been on the edge of that blue star cluster seen in the original. The alignment was done by RegiStar so should be dead on.

The original post of this galaxy from 2014 can be seen here http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=205888 .

If the similar try that same night for Arp 27 can be processed I'll try and have it next. Conditions only had gotten worse by the time I moved to it however and I've not looked at the data.

I just noticed as I went to post this that a field star to the left edge of the galaxy is brighter. I assume it is a variable star in our galaxy.

Link to the animation is prairieastronomyclub.org/astrophotos/SN3184.GIF

You may have to cut and paste this link. When I try to insert it as a link the sites software changes it to a spacebanter link that's empty.

Full image is attached

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC3184SNL4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	1020
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	6182

Last edited by WA0CKY : April 27th 16 at 08:42 AM.
Old April 19th 16, 09:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

great detail in addition to the supernova.
I recently had the supernova in NGC 3631 appearing between the nights that
were clear in Berlin. Will post the picture later this week.

Stefan

"WA0CKY" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ...

[...]

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/...tos/SN3184.GIF

Full image is attached

Rick

--
WA0CKY

Ngc 3184 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 0 October 20th 14 07:53 AM
ASTRO: NGC 3184 Stefan Lilge Astro Pictures 7 February 4th 08 11:46 PM
NLC animation Albert White UK Astronomy 2 July 19th 06 12:11 AM
NLC animation Pete Lawrence Amateur Astronomy 2 June 23rd 05 11:14 AM
NLC animation Pete Lawrence UK Astronomy 2 June 23rd 05 11:14 AM