Who the hell is Sam Wormley?

Old April 27th 12, 09:28 PM posted to sci.physics,alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming
bjacoby

Default Who the hell is Sam Wormley?

Who the hell is Sam Wormley?

That is the question. Since Sam an amateur astronomer has taken to
spamming sci.physics with climate change propaganda he has acquired a
bit of notoriety. Some have guessed he's a bot. Some have guessed he's a
group effort. Some have guessed he's a retired technician with too much
time on his hands. Nobody has had to guess about his off topic political
disruptions of sci.physics. Apparently he thinks that if NASA's Hansen
can become a millionaire promoting AGW, so can he. (delusions of grandeur)

A little research shows that we are not the only ones with these
questions, even though I notice Wormley spam is limited to OUR group and
seems not to be sent to sci.astro.amateur.

Here's what appeared in The Amateur Astronomy Forum:
-----
Who the hell is Sam Wormley???

Chris.b wrote:

"Recently retired from being an Associate Scientist for the Center for
Nondestructive Evaluation of Iowa State?"

I presume they tested Florida to destruction? ;-)

FloridaRadio wrote:

Who is he? I don't really care but with so many post as to him being
wrong I don't want to have him over for dinner.

And CLT wrote:

Sam is a fictitious character created by saa regulars. There is a
rotation roster, listing who has to be Sam each week. Originally the
"Sam duty" was for a one month period, but we found the onerous nature
of the job required us to cutback on the expectations. No one manages to
be Sam longer than two weeks. And, we find that by the end of the first
week, they are wearing out and do not provide the same quality during
the second week. Once we realized the exhausting nature of being a
thorough Sam, we cut it back to one week rotations.

If you carefully examine the headers, you can often trace it back and
find out who has the Sam duty in any given week. However many people
take the trouble to use a different email service for Sam posts so you
can simply match it up with their usual. And most people forward their
Sam posts to the same remailer so they will look the same. Of course,
some people do not take the same pride in being Sam for the week. If we
have a slacker this week, your post may not get any response. If it is
someone diligent, they may post that they are definitely *the* Sam
Wormley. Of course, now that you are in the know, you can ignore the Sam
of the week.

As to inviting him to dinner, it depends solely on who is being Sam that
week.

Hope this helps.

----

I'm thinking we need to help Sam out by reposting all his SPAM to
sci.astro.amateur for him. I'm sure he's proud of his achievements as an
amateur climate scientist...

I hope this helps.
Old April 27th 12, 09:37 PM posted to sci.physics,alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming
Androcles[_73_]

"bjacoby" wrote in message
Who the hell is Sam Wormley?

A ****wit who can name the planets in order, reads pop-science magazines
and is adored by fellow ****wits such as the fat freak and relativistic
college
dropout, Eric Goose.

Old April 27th 12, 10:29 PM posted to sci.physics,alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Apr 27, 2:28*pm, bjacoby wrote:

That is the question. Since Sam an amateur astronomer has taken to
spamming sci.physics with climate change propaganda

I don't believe this claim. What is "climate change propaganda",
anyways?

Clue: that human carbon dioxide emissions are causing climate change,
and threaten to cause more of it happens to be *the current consensus
of the relevant portions of the scientific community*.

So "climate change propaganda" is like "pro-Einstein relativity
propaganda" or "pro-Darwin evolution propaganda" - use a phrase like
that, and *you're* the kook who is out there in woo-woo land.

John Savard
Old April 27th 12, 11:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:28:49 -0400, bjacoby
wrote:

Who the hell is Sam Wormley?

That is the question. Since Sam an amateur astronomer has taken to
spamming sci.physics with climate change propaganda he has acquired a
bit of notoriety.

Well, since physics is the primary tool used to study both natural and
human caused climate change, it seems perfectly topical for that
forum.
Old April 28th 12, 01:40 AM posted to sci.physics,alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

In sci.physics Quadibloc wrote:
On Apr 27, 2:28Â*pm, bjacoby wrote:

That is the question. Since Sam an amateur astronomer has taken to
spamming sci.physics with climate change propaganda

I don't believe this claim. What is "climate change propaganda",
anyways?

Arm waving, doom and gloom speculation, mostly from mass media sources.

Old April 28th 12, 01:54 AM posted to sci.physics,alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming
Fredric L. Rice

bjacoby wrote:

Since Sam an amateur astronomer has taken to
spamming sci.physics with climate change propaganda

Translation: Someone who employs science has butthurt a cultist, right?

---
http://www.skeptictank.org/

Old April 28th 12, 02:13 AM posted to sci.physics,alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur
R Kym Horsell

In sci.physics bjacoby wrote:
Who the hell is Sam Wormley?

That is the question. Since Sam an amateur astronomer has taken to
spamming sci.physics with climate change propaganda he has acquired a

Oh, wow, an amateur astronomer as well? The guy is multi-skilled, then.

I can relate. As a kid I liked nothing better than to get out in
the shed with an old water barrel, a bottle of fine carborundum, and grind
away at some glass.

If you had enough skill to get within 1/8 lam, you'd mount
it up and take a peek.

If you were *really* good you could jigger up an electric
drive and take some time-lapse photos.

Whew. Just this set of skills alone qualifies you to say anything about
anything you so desire and be taken serious by likeminded. You have
gone through the fire and proved youself.

Thanks for bringing these important facts to our attention Mr Google.

Don't drop any books now. Or are you professionally indemnified against that?

--
[S]cience debates are done by reference to actual data and not to
one's opinion of another's intelligence. [...]
Old April 28th 12, 06:44 AM posted to sci.physics,alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Apr 27, 10:28*pm, a very nasty troll called bjacoby climbed out of
his smelly pond, in the dying remnants of a wild forest and wrote a
once-upon-a-time, load of old fibs, for religiously abused children:

Chris.b *wrote:

"Recently retired from being an Associate Scientist for the Center for
Nondestructive Evaluation of Iowa State?"

I was misquoted! My perfect proof is the UK spelling checker I use for
posting on Google Groups. I could never use "center" even if my life
depended on it. It is just, plain wrong.

My name is Chris. I am a telescope maker. I have not ground a mirror
for thirty years, two months and twenty seven days.

One day at a time.

Old April 28th 12, 06:53 AM posted to sci.physics,alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming
jwarner1

I know Sam. Yes he's sort of a bot. But he's one of the bots that has saved
this group from total extinction! He posts some timely material including
solar reports which many value - I
cite his solar reports to my club sometimes and they appreciate it. Bottom
line, the world would be less without
Sam, or Worm as some of us call him.
Georger