NASA, what happens when you squander money on the ISS turkey andglobal warming scams

Old June 22nd 11, 05:23 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur
$27 TRILLION to pay for Kyoto

Default NASA, what happens when you squander money on the ISS turkey andglobal warming scams

22 June 2011 Last updated at 06:12 ET
Shuttle launch set amid job woes
Pallab Ghosh By Pallab Ghosh Science correspondent, BBC News

The astronauts who will fly on the last ever shuttle mission have
arrived in Florida to take part in a dress rehearsal for its last
flight.

The rehearsal involves the crew and the shuttle team going through
every step of the launch up to the firing of the shuttle's engines and
rocket booster.

But as the crew prepares for space, workers at Nasa's Kennedy Space
Center face uncertain futures as thousands of jobs are cut.

Atlantis is set to launch on 8 July.

The flight will bring the curtain down on the shuttle's 30-year-long
run as America's manned space vehicle.

After that, engineers will decommission the orbiters as they are now
doing to the shuttle Discovery at the Orbiter Processing Facility.

The fleet is being mothballed and one-by-one each of the shuttles will
be put on display as museum pieces.

But as the plan to retire the shuttle fleet has progressed to its
completion, thousands of staff have been laid off. And many more
employment contracts will come to an end next month when the final
mission is over.
Uncertain future

Among those who will be laid off is James Matthews. His job was to
help refurbish each shuttle after its mission and get the vehicle
ready for its next launch.

He has helped care for the fleet for some 20 years. Now, suddenly he's
out of a job.

Mr Matthews spends some of his new free time with other ex-Nasa
engineers at their favourite bar - a British Pub called the Pig and
Whistle.

"Things have been affected," he told me, perched at a bar decked out
with the flags of England, Scotland and Wales. "The house prices have
gone down because everyone is taking a job somewhere else, with Boeing
or Lockheed and they are selling their house."

Sitting beside him is his friend and former colleague Jeff Felver. His
next job will be to decommission Atlantis when it returns from its
final mission. It will also be his last job with the US space agency.

"I got a lot of friends that are in the same boat," he told me. "But
we're going to get through this."
Bittersweet time

Fifty miles up the road - towards the Kennedy Space Center, Jerry
Mulberry helps his wife run a shop selling space memorabilia.

He is folding commemorative T-shirts for the tourists due to arrive to
witness the final launch. Two months ago he was a quality control
engineer on the space shuttle programme.

"It's a sad and a happy time," he tells me. Happy because the launch
of the final mission is a chance to celebrate the achievements of a
fleet that local people have come to know and love.

But, says Mr Mulberry, it is sad because in a month's time, the US
will be reliant on the Russian Soyuz spacecraft to send astronauts to
the International Space Station.

Among the customers in the shop is a scientist visiting from the
Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland. Mark Hubbard is likely to
keep his job but he is concerned that neither Nasa, nor the US
administration has a clear plan for a replacement to the shuttle.

"My friends and family are always asking me 'what's next?' And I say
we're not sure," he says ruefully.

"It's a question we (at Nasa) all have. We are wondering about the
vision for the space programme and where we're headed now. There's a
tenuous feeling about what the future of our space programme is."

As the astronauts arrive to prepare for one last mission, it's a
bittersweet moment for residents on Florida's Space Coast: On 8 July
they, like many across the world, will be celebrating the achievements
of a much loved friend.

But they will be left wondering whether the best years of human space
travel now lie now the past.
Old June 23rd 11, 02:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Harddrive

I wouldn't worry about it. Major powers in the world are on the verge of
collapse and third world countries are either on the brink of war with the
major powers or each other. It's about to get a lot worse..... but there
will be relief once the Creator of the universe arrives in the wink of an
eye. Only a matter of time now.

Old June 23rd 11, 04:25 AM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur
columbiaaccidentinvestigation

On Jun 22, 9:23*am, "$27 TRILLION to pay for Kyoto"
wrote:"... "It's a question we (at Nasa) all
have. We are wondering about the vision for the space programme and
where we're headed now."

what are the republican candidatesviews on the future of nasa?
Old June 23rd 11, 04:40 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jun 22, 8:25*pm, columbiaaccidentinvestigation
wrote:
On Jun 22, 9:23*am, "$27 TRILLION to pay for wrote:"... "It's a question we (at Nasa) all

have. We are wondering about the vision for the space programme and
where we're headed now."

what are the republican candidatesviews on the future of nasa?

Republicans want to double-spend every dime we can borrow, but not on
anything the average American really needs.

http://www.wanttoknow.info/
http://translate.google.com/#
Old June 23rd 11, 04:44 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur
Brad Guth[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Perhaps Republicans and Democrats should have been doing a whole lot
better job as of decades ago, such as their not having perpetrated
that multi-decade cold-war would have been a good idea.

That's right, they all pretty much lied to us, and the average
American was so poorly educated and otherwise dumbfounded past the
point of no return that we got snookered by those of our own kind.

http://www.wanttoknow.info/
http://translate.google.com/#
Old June 24th 11, 08:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
yourmommycalledandsaidbehave

On Jun 22, 8:09*pm, "Sam Harddrive" wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it. *Major powers in the world are on the verge of
collapse and third world countries are either on the brink of war with the
major powers or each other. *It's about to get a lot worse..... but there
will be relief once the Creator of the universe arrives in the wink of an
eye. *Only a matter of time now.

Your can thank the conservatives for 6 years of running the country
into the ground by using the the taxpayers money as their private bank
and funding Wall Street's gambling addition. We certainly wouldn't
want to regulate Wall Street, now that they shown they are will to
give Richard Fuld a $480 million dollar salary for bankrupting Lehman
Bros, and putting the economy is in crisis. When it was suggested
that the Lehman Brothers' top people forgo multi-million dollar
bonuses to "send a strong message to both employees and investors that
management is not shirking accountability for recent performance."
Lehman Brothers Investment Management Director George Herbert Walker
IV dismissed the proposal, going so far as to actually apologize to
other members of the Lehman Brothers executive committee for the idea
of bonus reduction having been suggested. Remember the idiots that are
driving the country into insolvency are todays most important
conservatives AND directly benefited from AIG/LehmanBros/
MorganStanleys behavior.

Old June 25th 11, 12:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Harddrive

"yourmommycalledandsaidbehave" wrote in message

[...]

I agree, conservatives are just as guilty, if not more so, than liberals.
In fact, both parties are at fault, in a stalemate, and while they debate
over silly things like Weiner's weiner, the country continues to go
downhill.

A civil war happened once. Whether or not it will ever happen again is
unknown, but the "conditioning" of American people is dwindling fast. It is
only a matter of time before something happens.

I used to be conservative. I voted for Bush the first time, but after he
got us into two unnecessary wars and had the nerve to dance around at some
of the press meetings, while American soldiers were being killed, that ended
my respect for him. Obama hasn't helped any either, but I wonder if anyone
could at this point. The problem with a stalemate.

Old June 25th 11, 06:59 PM posted to alt.global-warming,sci.astro.amateur
AGW Facts

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:25:02 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jun 22, 9:23*am, "$27 TRILLION to pay for Kyoto"
wrote:"... "It's a question we (at Nasa) all
have. We are wondering about the vision for the space programme and
where we're headed now."

what are the Republican candidates' views on the future of NASA?

Invade Iran; invade Korea (again); no-bid contracts for Halburton;
increased taxes for the extremely poor; land mines of the Mexican
border.

But sane Republicans such as myself are working hard to return the
party to sanity.