JFK's greatest achievements/Apollo (Was: Deep Apologies to everyone....)

Old January 30th 09, 02:55 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default JFK's greatest achievements/Apollo

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:43:44 -0800, in a place far, far away, Mark
Borgerson made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

In article , says...
In sci.space.history Derek Lyons wrote:
Sure they were appalled. The US made a fetish/religion out of
accuracy.

Going all the way back to (if not before) the days of shooting lead
balls out of rifled muskets at those guys in the pretty red jackets

IIRC, The Colonial military and the British army had riflemen in about
the same proportion by the time of the War of 1812. Sharpe and his
colleagues with the green jackets may have been otherwise occupied
in Europe, though. ;-)

The vast majority of the soldiers in both the British army and
the colonial forces were armed with smoothbore muskets. The
US had irregular forces that used more rifles, though. They
were the preferred weapon for hunters, and very effective
for harassing British formations. I don't know that the
rifles vs smoothbore issue was decisive in any battles in
the revolutionary war, though.

Actually, sharpshooters taking down the British officers early and
disrupting the lines was probably key to victory at the Battle of
Cowpens, which was a major defeat for Tarleton (and Cornwallis,
causing the latter to pull out of the Carolinas and get trapped at
Yorktown).
Old January 30th 09, 05:08 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
Dr J R Stockton[_1_]

Default JFK's greatest achievements/Apollo (Was: Deep Apologies to everyone....)

In sci.space.history message 7e0e8b8b-fcbe-4e5f-9925-bfd07002e1ea@g1g20
00pra.googlegroups.com, Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:18:51, Jack Linthicum
posted:
On Jan 29, 7:16*am, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In sci.space.history message 9f17d8a4-bf69-4867-89a7-f348b7dcabec@s1g20
00prg.googlegroups.com, Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:25:53, Jack Linthicum
posted:
On Jan 28, 1:03*pm, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In sci.space.history message ,
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:38:40, Derek Lyons posted:

D.

As a self-confessed submarine expert, you might like to know that some
South Africans are expecting their science satellite SumbandilaSat to be
launched on 25 March from a submarine at Baikonur.

http://www.buanews.gov.za/news/09/09012312451005

But I do know that Baikonur is in a fairly arid area; though it is only
about 125 miles from what's left of the Aral Sea and the town is on what
appears to be the Syr Darya.

--

Don't quote sigs; it is bad manners.
OM should not trouble to advise me on kill-filing others : he himself is

The place is actually called Tyuratam and is about 217 kilometers from
the place called Baikonur. The Soviets thought they could fool the
satellite and U-2 people. Fat chance.

Naive. Tyuratam is where they customarily launch in Kazakhstan;
Baikonur is clearly suited to launching from submarines. However,
Google Maps puts them near enough together, within a few km of the
river, and Wikimapia agrees.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. replyYYWW merlyn demon co uk Turnpike 6.05.
Web URL:http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html - Timo Salmi: Usenet Q&A.
Old January 30th 09, 05:17 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
William Black[_1_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

I'm willing to bet that some of the fishing boats out in the Persian Gulf
at the moment aren't real fishing boats, but rather intelligence-gathering
platforms operated by countries in the region, like the Russians used to
use against us.

It's far more likely that they're big, black, nuclear powered and sitting
just under the surface with an interesting array of metalwork just slightly
pushed out of the water...

The chances of a phony fishing boat getting caught are just too high.

The chances of being able to stuff all the gear the techno spooks would like
on a fishing boat are vanishingly small as well...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 30th 09, 06:28 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
Jack Linthicum

On Jan 30, 12:58*pm, OM wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:18:58 GMT, (Rand

Simberg) wrote:
By far the biggest opponents of NASA and manned spaceflight over the
years, and particularly over those years, have been Democrats (e.g.,
Proxmire and Mondale).

...And both of those *******s in particular were responsible for the
majority of the anti-NASA legislation. I only wish they'd gotten
caught molesting page boys during their career, just so we could see
them crash and burn as they deserve. At least Proxmire's burning in
Hell, wrapped in golden fleece :-P

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *OM

--

* ]=====================================[
* ] * OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld* [

Piece of unbelievable irony which you won't appreciate: one of my
people on the Space end of the Military Division became Proxmire's
Chief of Staff.
Old January 30th 09, 06:56 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
Jack Linthicum

On Jan 30, 12:08*pm, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
[...]

I am sorry I ever questioned you. You obviously have this situation
well under control. Pleasant dreams. BTW: Doctor of what?
Old January 30th 09, 07:24 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
Jack Linthicum

On Jan 30, 2:10*pm, Dr J R Stockton Non Grata wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:08:34 +0000, Dr J R Stockton

wrote:
OM should not trouble to advise me on kill-filing others : he himself is
kill-ruled,

...Aw. I'm so hurt, Doc. Sorry it's all over your inability to accept
you don't know jack about how television works.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *OM

--

* ]=====================================[
* ] * OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld* [
* ] * * * *Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* * * * * [
* ] * * * * *an obnoxious opinion in your day! * * * * * [
* ]=====================================[

For those of you who have never met Anonymous, it used to be called
"OM", which is, as Alan stated, "How nice it is to respond to someone
who uses his real name. Order of Merit, is it? Or a shortened form of
Om Mani Padmi Hom?"

Mr. Anonymous is the founding father of Cowards Anonymous, hence the
name. Ducks the name thing, asks for his posts not be archived, likes
to tell everyone to killfile everyone else and is in general a source
of amusement to all. Even Doctor Stockton says he has killfiled
Anonymous.

All those in smn be thankful this little person seems to be a resident
of ssh (which could be his password).
Old January 30th 09, 07:57 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
Jack Linthicum

Default Jack Linthicum, CT Nutter Troll - Killfile Accordingly, kids!

On Jan 30, 2:38*pm, OM wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:03:37 +0000, Alan Lothian
wrote:

How nice it is to respond to someone who uses his real name. Order of
Merit, is it? Or a shortened form of Om Mani Padmi Hom?

...Alan, two points:

1) I don't play the "real names only" game. It's a bull**** copout,
and use of it is a sign of not only lameness, but an admission of
inability to win an argument logically. Same thing goes for claims of
"non sequitur" or "ad hominem".

2) If I were an "anonymous troll", would I put a link to my own
goddamn website in my .sig?

...Either way, Jackoff's a troll and has been killfiled accordingly.
Smart money would be for everyone else to place the same bet.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *OM

--

* ]=====================================[
* ] * OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld* [
* ] * * * *Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* * * * * [
* ] * * * * *an obnoxious opinion in your day! * * * * * [
* ]=====================================[

But you have me killfiled and can't read anything I post, right? Also,
as near as I can tell your so called sig is just the sci.space.history
newsgroup. That's as brave as you can get? Your language needs
improvement along with your amore propre.
Old January 30th 09, 09:34 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
Mark Borgerson

In article ,
says...

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

I'm willing to bet that some of the fishing boats out in the Persian Gulf
at the moment aren't real fishing boats, but rather intelligence-gathering
platforms operated by countries in the region, like the Russians used to
use against us.

It's far more likely that they're big, black, nuclear powered and sitting
just under the surface with an interesting array of metalwork just slightly
pushed out of the water...

The chances of a phony fishing boat getting caught are just too high.

The chances of being able to stuff all the gear the techno spooks would like
on a fishing boat are vanishingly small as well...

I would guess that a 60-foot trawler would have more volume available
for dedicated spook electronics gear than your average nuclear sub.
Back when I knew spooks who went out in subs, they apparently were
allocated a volume roughly equivalent to a small broom closet.
Perhaps the newer subs have more space for specialized gear.

IIRC, it used to be a problem storing the mag tapes after they
were used. Unused and unclassified tapes could be stashed
in any available space. Once filled they became Top Secret
Codeword and there was a lot less space available for that.

Mark Borgerson

Old January 30th 09, 09:46 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

William Black wrote:

I'm willing to bet that some of the fishing boats out in the Persian
Gulf at the moment aren't real fishing boats, but rather
intelligence-gathering platforms operated by countries in the region,
like the Russians used to use against us.

It's far more likely that they're big, black, nuclear powered and
sitting just under the surface with an interesting array of metalwork
just slightly pushed out of the water...

The chances of a phony fishing boat getting caught are just too high.

The chances of being able to stuff all the gear the techno spooks
would like on a fishing boat are vanishingly small as well...

We were very hesitant about sending subs into the Persian Gulf during
the two Gulf Wars due to how shallow it is (90 meters at the deepest
point, 50 meters on average), the water being quite clear, and a lot of
the bottom being white sand.
If it weren't for the fact that it's crawling with sharks it would be a
great place for sport diving.
From the air while wearing polarized anti-glare glasses on a sunny day,
you might well be able to see a submarine even if it were resting on the
bottom. From its keel to the top of the sail, a Los Angeles class sub is
around 50 feet in height, so if to are sitting on the bottom in a
average depth area of the Persian Gulf, you are only going to have
around 100 feet of water over your head.
Not only is that going to make you visible from the air on a sunny day,
but you are now going to be trying to maneuver in water whose total
depth is less than half the length of your sub (362 feet).
Screw that up to any great degree and you are going to either run the
bow into the sand, or breach the surface.
On the other hand, the comparatively small size of the Persian Gulf and
its shallow depth would make it ideal for minisub operations, something
Iran has realized: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahang_class_submarine
(I really get a kick out of that; the part visible above the water looks
like something Simon Lake might have com up with, ram bow and all. Maybe
it has wheels on the bottom, like Lake's "Protector")
And the new one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghadir_(submarine)

Pat
Old January 30th 09, 09:54 PM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Mark Borgerson wrote:
I would guess that a 60-foot trawler would have more volume available
for dedicated spook electronics gear than your average nuclear sub.
Back when I knew spooks who went out in subs, they apparently were
allocated a volume roughly equivalent to a small broom closet.
Perhaps the newer subs have more space for specialized gear.

The space reserved for troop transport on the new Virginia class
probably can be reconfigured into a intelligence gathering area. In
fact, one of the main missions of the Virgina class will probably
involve intelligence gathering from the littoral regions in world hot spots.

Pat