George Friedman, The Next 100 Years

Old January 27th 09, 04:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

Default [OT] Garlic (was George Friedman, The Next 100 Years)

"Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:44:20 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

I'm cooking Bar S Franks at the moment.
These do not incorporate nanotechnology of any sort, but they a do have
nummitechnology going for them - because as near as I can figure, these
things are a lot closer to some sort of sophisticated artificial
chemical product than meat.

Sweetie, it's the garlic. Garlic makes anything (except maybe ice
cream) taste good. It's a major ingredient in bachelor chow.

I agree. Emeril has a recipe for garlic mashed potatoes that's excellent.
It starts with roasting an entire head of garlic in the oven...

Jeff
--
"Many things that were acceptable in 1958 are no longer acceptable today.
My own standards have changed too." -- Freeman Dyson

Old January 27th 09, 05:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:
I agree. Emeril has a recipe for garlic mashed potatoes that's excellent.
It starts with roasting an entire head of garlic in the oven...

That does sound good... I have to admit I stick garlic in most of the
stuff I cook also.

Pat
Old January 27th 09, 05:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...

Jeff Findley wrote:
I agree. Emeril has a recipe for garlic mashed potatoes that's
excellent. It starts with roasting an entire head of garlic in the
oven...

That does sound good... I have to admit I stick garlic in most of the
stuff I cook also.

http://www.emerils.com/recipe/7779/R...ashed-Potatoes

Oops, I remembered wrong, it's THREE heads of garlic:

Ingredients
3 heads garlic, split in 1/2
3 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
1 stick butter, cubed
1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and white pepper

My wife tasted it and said "that's way too much garlic". My oldest
daughter, however, got my side of the family's garlic gene, so she said,
"there can never be too much garlic". :-)

Jeff

Old January 27th 09, 05:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

wrote:

I'm cooking Bar S Franks at the moment.
These do not incorporate nanotechnology of any sort, but they a do have
nummitechnology going for them - because as near as I can figure, these
things are a lot closer to some sort of sophisticated artificial
chemical product than meat.

Sweetie, it's the garlic. Garlic makes anything (except maybe ice
cream) taste good. It's a major ingredient in bachelor chow.

I agree. Emeril has a recipe for garlic mashed potatoes that's excellent.
It starts with roasting an entire head of garlic in the oven...

Sometimes I have to remind myself that garlic is neither a vegetable
nor a food group.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old January 28th 09, 12:22 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:

http://www.emerils.com/recipe/7779/R...ashed-Potatoes

Oops, I remembered wrong, it's THREE heads of garlic:

Ingredients
3 heads garlic, split in 1/2
3 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
1 stick butter, cubed
1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and white pepper

This sounds very good... it also sounds like around and extra inch or so
on the waistline. :-D
My wife tasted it and said "that's way too much garlic". My oldest
daughter, however, got my side of the family's garlic gene, so she said,
"there can never be too much garlic". :-)

I have to admit to having eaten a garlic clove on occasion.

Pat
Jeff

Old January 30th 09, 04:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default George Friedman, The Next 100 Years

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 05:57:42 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
Ian Parker made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

Pace of space developments will be set by AI. No people beyond LEO
until we get a VN machine.

Nonsense.

If Constellation is cancelled, and it looks
as if it will be, there won't be anybody beyond LEO for the period
specified.

More nonsense. Constellation is not required to get humans beyond LEO
(and in fact is an impediment, because it steals resources from more
effective means to do so).
Old January 30th 09, 04:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:56:34 +0000 (UTC), in a place far, far away,
Rick Jones made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

"Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)" wrote:

Garlic makes anything (except maybe ice cream) taste good.

There are a bunch of crazies (*) in Gilroy, CA who will disagree with
you about garlic ice cream Although I am not one of them.

rick jones

(*) although probably decreasing in number as more of Gilroy gets
converted to subdivisions and garlic gets imported from overseas.

That's likely to slow for a while, given the glut of housing in that
part of CA.
Old January 30th 09, 04:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 03:55:39 -0800 (PST), in a place far, far away,
Ian Parker made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

On 26 Jan, 07:26, "Martha Adams" wrote:

I see a lot of words here, but I don't see *progress*. *In my view,
'sci.space.policy' is about appropriate policy for getting some things
done. *

I think we first have to recognize trends before we decide on the
apropriate way to act. The questions to me are these.

1) If we have an elaborate (and expensive) program to (say) get a
manned expedition to Mars.

No, we don't. All the current plans do is get us to the moon (and
probably not even that).

rest of nutty monomania about AI and VN machines snipped
Old February 2nd 09, 05:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Jan 25, 6:57*am, Ian Parker wrote:

Pace of space developments will be set by AI. No people beyond LEO
until we get a VN machine. If Constellation is cancelled, and it looks
as if it will be, there won't be anybody beyond LEO for the period
specified.

I can see that this paragraph could be open to misinterpretation.

Since you have admitted that Constellation *could* send people beyond
LEO, you did not mean to say that it would be *impossible* to send
people beyond low Earth orbit without von Neumann machines.

That, of course, _would_ be obviously false, since there is an obvious
counterexample dated July 20, 1969 - and several before and after that
date.

A von Neumann machine or something of the sort would indeed be a good
thing to have. It would let us do many things in space _without_
having to send humans out there, with the need for life-support and
the concern for safety and so on. And there are things that could not
be done in a reasonable timescale with humans instead of VN machines,
such as converting the asteroid belt into mirrors and steam engines to
convert some significant fraction of the Sun's output into easily
usable power. Say for pushing an interstellar spaceship with a giant
laser.

Historically, though, Artificial Intelligence is one of those things
that has always been "just ten years away". like fusion power. So
people are very skeptical about its prospects.

Perhaps that skepticism is now not entirely justified. Genetic
algorithms have finally allowed AI to bear some real fruit. And the
way Moore's Law is working out - that the ability to make processors
faster is hitting a wall, but not the ability to make *more* of them
cheaply - could favor certain forms of AI as well.

It's true that AI is more likely to improve quickly than the metals we
make rockets from and the fuels we use in them. But to say everything
absolutely depends on AI doesn't seem reasonable. After all, if you
want something that has human-level intelligence, and can reproduce
itself, well, that already exists; it's called a human being.

John Savard
Old February 2nd 09, 07:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Jan 30, 10:26*am, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:56:34 +0000 (UTC), in a place far, far away,
Rick Jones made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

"Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)" wrote:

Garlic makes anything (except maybe ice cream) taste good.

There are a bunch of crazies (*) in Gilroy, CA who will disagree with
you about garlic ice cream Although I am not one of them.

rick jones

(*) although probably decreasing in number as more of Gilroy gets
converted to subdivisions and garlic gets imported from overseas.

That's likely to slow for a while, given the glut of housing in that
part of CA.

Yeah let's rush there now and spend $500K for a house that was $650K
just two years ago!

I was just in CA, Monterey, SF, Sac and Auburn. There is no more glut
in CA than anywhere else. Sure supply exceeds demand like everywhere
else but don't expect to steal a house in CA at St. Louis prices.

Eric