Berkeley 103

Old October 28th 17, 08:14 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default Berkeley 103

Berkeley 103 is an obscure, little studied, open cluster in Cassiopeia. WEBDA and the one paper I found on it agree that it is about 6850 light-years distant +/- 300. They put its age at about a half billion years. They also say it is reddened by 1 magnitude. Amazing agreement unless WEBDA is using this paper for its data.

The dark nebula to the bottom right is DOBASHI 3552.

The color of this one is highly suspect as it was taken through severe smoke that was costing me 1.5 magnitudes or more. This severely reddened the image forcing me to push blue farther than I ever had and created strong red halos around even blue stars. Removing all of them was difficult and led to other issues. I suspect the image is still too red. With no color image of this one that I found other than a pseudo color image using red and blue POSS plates at SIMBAD, I ended up "adjusting to taste" as even eXcalibrator left the image severely red. I knew the smoke was an issue but didn't realize how bad it was until I went to process this one.

I suspect the bright white star left of center is not a cluster member but found nothing on it. It's just my guess. This is one most catalogs get the position correct for but The Sky missed by about 5 minutes. I saw the problem when setting up and recentered using WEBDA's coordinates. Why this happenes so often with Berkeley clusters I don't understand.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BERKELEY103L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	942
Size:	538.7 KB
ID:	6727  Click image for larger version

Name:	BERKELEY103L4X10RGB2X10-67.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	6728  Click image for larger version

Name:	BERKELEY103L4X10RGB2X10CROP.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	6729
Old November 1st 17, 09:41 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Rick,

the smoke didn't keep you from getting star colours that look realistic to me.
Stefan

Berkeley 93 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 1 October 10th 17 08:43 PM
Berkeley 85 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 1 October 4th 17 08:55 PM
Berkeley 86 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 1 September 26th 17 02:16 PM
Berkeley 83 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 1 August 31st 17 10:41 PM
What's up at Berkeley ... Anthony Ayiomamitis SETI 2 August 15th 05 10:37 PM