No pity for "broke" NASA

Old February 11th 11, 12:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming
columbiaaccidentinvestigation

Default No pity for "broke" NASA

On Feb 10, 8:26*am, Bill Ward wrote:"
If we snooze, we're gonna lose."

peole like you were sleeping during the period of 2001-2008, so there
is nothing new there.
Old February 11th 11, 12:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming
[email protected]

On Feb 10, 9:28*am, "
wrote:
On Feb 10, 5:22*am, wrote:

On Feb 9, 9:14*pm, columbiaaccidentinvestigation

wrote:
On Feb 9, 5:42*pm, wrote:

On Feb 9, 8:37*pm, columbiaaccidentinvestigation

wrote:
On Feb 9, 4:52*pm, wrote:" Conservatives don't
run up bills...that's why we are called *conservatives. *We don't lie
either."

now thats funny, good joke.

For a real laugh listen to a liberal trying to win an argument.

na, i will stick to laughing at your defintion of a conservative, for
it is truly a joke. *The federal goverment ran up bills during
administrations that were run by people who i would call conservative,
so of course im laughing. *The punch line is that you really think
what you said is true. *So unless you are attempting to shift the
political spectrum to the extreme right, your statement above is not
even close to reality. *And if you are attempting to shift the
spectrum, you would have to go so far to the right, one might conclude
you are a reactionary.

Your problem is that you want to fit everyone somewhere on a political
spectrum that does not allow for, or even recognize, the concept of
limited government powers. *Your spectrum places those who favor
government ownership of industry on the "left" and then places those
who favor strong government control of industry on what you call the
"right." *

Huh? *Nope, right-wingers want no gov't control of industry -- they
want industry to be free to pollute, exploit their workers, cheat
customers, sell tainted products, etc.

Another strawman argument from a liberal. Conservatives aren't even
"right-wingers" so what is your point?

Then the less addle-brained among your ilk try to call those
who fall in between those extremes "moderates" or the "center."
Left, right or center, you are all nothing but collectivists. You
merely argue about how to go about being collectivists.

What you don't seem to be able to recognize is that when the
government has too much control over business, factories and farms,
seeks to raise taxes, increase spending and to control everything
including health care, education, gun ownership, free speech, and even
what we can eat in restaurants (thanks Michelle, but restaurant meals
are already too small) it is the individual who suffers.

Does that apply to things like abortion laws? *

Discuss this on abortion of children with disabilities:

Or maybe this on sex selection abortion:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/09/wo...iht-india.html

Laws banning gay
marriage?

Or maybe a shortage of women wouldn't potentially affect you?

Now if you and your partner adopt a child, which one of you gets
custody in a divorce?

Old February 11th 11, 02:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming
[email protected]

On Feb 10, 3:33*pm, Brian Tung wrote:
wsnell wrote:
Conservatives don't run up bills...that's why we are called
conservatives. *We don't lie either.

Well, see, the problem is, if you *do* lie, I can't trust your
assertion that you *don't* lie.

(Come on, really? *You don't have to rise to the bait with
yet one more "I, as a member of incredibly broad group X,
never do bad thing Y.")

True conservatives have no reason to lie, but unfortunately you among
so many others have been misled as to what conservatism really is in
America. We vote for Republicans as the lesser of two evils, in an
attempt keep the worst of the collectivists at bay.

The government, as a whole, runs up bills. *It also lies. *(It
doesn't *always* lie, mind you; it also tells the truth
sometimes. *More's the pity--things would be a lot simpler
if it always lied.) *No different from people in general that
way. *What we do as voters is decide which group of
people tell lies and run up bills in less damaging fashion,
according to our lights.

So long as the typical voter gets something out of the deal, he
doesn't seem to care about the deficits. Conservatives approach
governance and spending differently, ie they want less of it.

In my opinion, the real tragedy is that science funding is
so moribund that a strategic error such as the ISS (on the
whole--of course it has had some benefits) can wipe out
so many exciting plans. *

Government waste in other areas dwarfs any supposed waste on the ISS.
Consider the $53 billion for high speed passenger rail. That's
probably $300 or more out of each taxpayer's pocket and they would
still have to buy tickets to ride the thing, assuming that it even
went someplace they wanted to go. With that amount of cash I can buy
enough gasoline to drive myself and at least two friends thousands of
miles. On our schedule.

Let's either spend that $53 billion on space and science, or not spend
it at all.

Old February 11th 11, 02:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming

wsnell wrote:
[...]

high speed rail vs ISS funding is basing a choice on a false premise,
as it is not an either or situation. Maybe you need to consider
cutting defense spending, see below.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...PbfDyBQCdZIL8w

"Missouri Economic Impact Brief - US Department of Defense Contract
Spending
The United States Department of Defense
The United States Department of Defense (DoD) is made up of 17
agencies that awarded over $1.3 Trillion dollars in contracts between
2002 and 2006. Department of Defense contract spending increased over
27% between 2002 and 2003, and then remained relatively steady for the
following two years before increasing by 26% between 2005 and 2006. A
majority of this increase can be attributed to contracts awarded in
aircraft and other transportation. In 2006, the U.S. Department of
Defense awarded $311 Billion in contracts, compared to $163 Billion in
2001...."

Old February 11th 11, 03:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming
[email protected]

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...org/pdfs/dod_s....

"Missouri Economic Impact Brief - US Department of Defense Contract
Spending
The United States Department of Defense
The United States Department of Defense (DoD) is made up of 17
agencies that awarded over $1.3 Trillion dollars in contracts between
2002 and 2006. Department of Defense contract spending increased over
27% between 2002 and 2003, and then remained relatively steady for the
following two years before increasing by 26% between 2005 and 2006. A
majority of this increase can be attributed to contracts awarded in
aircraft and other transportation. In 2006, the U.S. Department of
Defense awarded $311 Billion in contracts, compared to $163 Billion in
2001...."

We need defense spending, but should keep an eye on waste.

We do not need the government to subsidize passenger rail, all such
spending is a waste.

Space travel and exploration has scientific benefits and possible
defense benefits, so it should be funded, including a space station or
base.
Old February 11th 11, 07:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming

wsnell wrote:
[...]

base.- Hide quoted text -

History has shown we need regulations to ensure good stewardship of
our precious natural resources. Hiding behind a fake anti regulation
statement, steps on the conservative concept of land stewardship, as
business did not self correct with out regulation in place.
As far as your comment about waste, you missed the boat, you seem to
be focused on a very small portion of spending, while ignoring such
things as no bid contracts awarded to haliburton. Im glad you support
space travel, but arguing the concept of infrastructure investments
( 9 billion a year) vs funding for the next generation space vehicle
while you ignore the $700 billion yearly for defense costs, is kind of
a big fat joke. Defense spending grew at a ridiculous rate during the
bush administration (see the link i provided for a taste of reality),
but the cries from people like you were silent. No, you dont get a
free pass to suddenly wake up to budgetary issues starting in 2008,
and your desire to claim your special place on the political spectrum
does not allow you to deny reality and rewrite history.
Old February 11th 11, 11:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming
[email protected]

wsnell wrote:
[...]

Another strawman.

As far as your comment about waste, you missed the boat, you seem to
be focused on a very small portion of spending,

$53 billion doesn't seem like a small amount of money to me? Does it
to you?

How about hundreds of billions of dollars spent on the "stimulus"
package? Ethanol subsidies?

Have you become so accustomed to this sort thing that it no longer
registers on your brain?

while ignoring such
things as no bid contracts awarded to haliburton. *Im glad you support
space travel, but arguing the concept of infrastructure investments
( 9 billion a year) vs funding for the next generation space vehicle
while you ignore the $700 billion yearly for defense costs,

Defense costs are necessary and called for by the US Constitution.
Many aspects of national defense are (and should be) classified, so
there is going to be some degree of secrecy. As with most things,
developing new weaponry is a trial and error process, so there is
bound to be some "waste."

is kind of
a big fat joke. *Defense spending grew at a ridiculous rate during the
bush administration (see the link i provided for a taste of reality),
but the cries from people like you were silent. *

Again defense spending is necessary, while rail subsidies, ethanol
subsidies, stimulus packages, etc., are not.

No, you dont get a
free pass to suddenly wake up to budgetary issues starting in 2008,

I never asked for "free pass," but you have to admit that as bad the
spending was before 2008, the Zero and the Dems took it to insane new
levels in starting 2008.

and your desire to claim your special place on the political spectrum
does not allow you to deny reality and rewrite history.

Your "political spectrum" only describes politicians and voters who
are in favor of a large and ever-increasing role of government in
every aspect of our lives.
Old February 11th 11, 01:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming

wsnell wrote:
[...]

every aspect of our lives.- Hide quoted text -

Your opinions of what is necessary, provides a rubber stamp approval
for anything with a defense label, that is not conservative, thats a
joke. Once again history has shown you to be wrong, our national
highway system (would not have been constructed if we limited spending
to your arbitrary limit. Spending on infrastructure is needed in our
country, on the other hand you have got to admit there is room for
some serious cutting in the $700billion dollars of defense spending
(projects, im talking about cuts that go beyond what you call waste).
And I know you think your fake political philosophy allows you to
start the clock at 2008, but that does not work. Dude, you cannot
just walk away from what happened to our budget during the time frame
of 2001 to 2006, as you claim to be a budget hawk, and against
subsidies, but you dont see $311 billion in 2006 as subsidising
certain industries. So no, you dont get a free pass, try taking off
those blinders and addressin reality.
Old February 11th 11, 03:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming
yourmommycalledandsaidbehave

On Feb 9, 2:04*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Feb 9, 7:56*am, "$27 TRILLION to pay for Kyoto"

wrote:
On Feb 8, 8:35*pm, columbiaaccidentinvestigation

wrote:
On Feb 8, 6:16*am, Rich wrote:" They should
never had wasted $150B on the worthless ISS and they shouldn't be
wasting money pandering to the global warming kooks.
Look UP, NASA not DOWN!"

only an idiot like you wants to conduct science with blinders on.

What science did the ISS accomplish?

To ask that question tells us you do not know many things.

Go research the engineering that had to be done to get the ISS up
there and working.

TMT

Then there is the 232 page report from OMB that lists over 150
experiments that currently operating on the ISS.
Old February 11th 11, 06:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,alt.global-warming
$27 TRILLION to pay for Kyoto

wrote:
On Feb 8, 6:16*am, Rich wrote:" They should
never had wasted $150B on the worthless ISS and they shouldn't be
wasting money pandering to the global warming kooks.
Look UP, NASA not DOWN!"

only an idiot like you wants to conduct science with blinders on.

What science did the ISS accomplish?

To ask that question tells us you do not know many things.

Go research the engineering that had to be done to get the ISS up
there and working.

TMT

The communist work model, dig a hole and fill it in. To what end (I
ask, again) was it done?