NASA to unveil space station name on Colbert show

Old April 15th 09, 01:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default NASA to unveil space station name on Colbert show

From Keith Wetzel:
On Apr 14, 1:43 pm, wrote: From Dr J R Stockton:

The module may now become burdened with the name of a second-rate self-
publicist, when it could have been named after, for example, the famous
European astrodynamicist Moriarty.

Second-rate? Stephen Colbert, along with Jon Stewart, have redefined
hard hitting critical news reporting. They go where the other media
outlets are too afraid to tread.

Daily/Colbert has been my primary news source for years now. They
have a razor sharp analysis that gets to the point much quicker than
other sources, if those other outlets ever get there at all.

Huh?!?!?! Primary News Source?!?!??!?
They are Comedy Shows on the Comedy Channel!
They 'report' the news with with a comedic spin to it
but they are comedy show first & for most
I feel sorry for you if you consider them a serious news source!

Yes, they are comedy shows on Comedy Central. But they are also more
hard hitting in many ways than traditional news. One case in point is
how Jon Stewart shredded his guest Jim Cramer for shady stock market
dealings indicative of the mechanisms that caused the crash. If you
want to see a fine example of investigative journalism, here's the
unedited interview:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...ited-interview

And here's the Wikipedia summary:
====
Cramer admitted to Stewart that short-selling was detrimental, stated
his opposition to it, and claimed that he had never engaged in it. He
said, "I will say this: I am trying to expose this stuff, exactly what
you guys do, and I've been trying to get the regulators to look at
it." However, Stewart played several video clips from 2006 where
Cramer discussed the spreading of false rumors to drive down stock
prices and encouraged short-selling by hedge funds as a means to
generate returns.
====
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Cramer#Jon_Stewart

....but there are those who won't trust Wikipedia as a legitimate
encyclopedia. Those are folks who are stuck to referring to their
hardcover Encyclopedia Britannica for trustworthy info.

Comedy and infotainment is the future of news. CNN recognizes this,
and that's why they hired DL Hughley - to compete *directly* with
people like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. Here he is (a comedian)
interviewing Scott McClellan on CNN:

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...CA0.ready.html
Photo caption: "D. L. Hughley, left, with the former White House
press secretary Scott McClellan on “D. L. Hughley Breaks the News.”"

For anyone who isn't convinced by the examples above, then consider
what happened last month. History was made by President Obama
choosing to address the nation on Jay Leno. The barrier between
comedy and news had been removed at the very highest level. Like it
or not, that is the world we live in today. I happen to love it.
Traditional news is severely boring and predictable. Stephen Colbert
strikes me as brilliant and insightful.

~ CT
Old April 15th 09, 01:45 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jorge R. Frank

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"Dr J R Stockton" wrote in message
nvalid...
In sci.space.policy message n6udnbKm7umAGH7UnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@earthlink.
com, Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:33:04, "Greg D. Moore (Strider)" mooregr_dele
posted:

Eh, this is a prime example of the Golden Rule. He with the gold,
makes the rules. We bought and paid for it.

One could not, from experience, have ever expected otherwise of you.

Thank you, I attempt to be consistent.

FWIW, I agree... my only regret is that the US didn't preemptively name
the FGB since we bought and paid for it as well.

The module may now become burdened with the name of a second-rate self-
publicist, when it could have been named after, for example, the famous
European astrodynamicist Moriarty.

Remind me again why an American module should be named after some
European most Americans have never heard of?

Besides, if you really think NASA will end up naming the module "The
Colbert" or "The Steve" or any variation on that, I want to have some of
what you're smoking. Personally, I think they should, it might show
they have a sense of humour, but they won't.

They won't. They will name *something* after him (which shows *some*
sense of humor), but probably not the thing that would show the *most*
sense of humor.

If you know what I mean.
Old April 15th 09, 01:49 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Remind me again why an American module should be named after some
European most Americans have never heard of?

Why, it's elementary if you think about it, my dear fellow:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dyn...of_An_Asteroid

Pat
Old April 15th 09, 04:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

FWIW, I agree... my only regret is that the US didn't preemptively name
the FGB since we bought and paid for it as well.

Yeah, that one has always irked me.

The module may now become burdened with the name of a second-rate self-
publicist, when it could have been named after, for example, the famous
European astrodynamicist Moriarty.

Remind me again why an American module should be named after some
European most Americans have never heard of?

Besides, if you really think NASA will end up naming the module "The
Colbert" or "The Steve" or any variation on that, I want to have some of
what you're smoking. Personally, I think they should, it might show they
have a sense of humour, but they won't.

They won't. They will name *something* after him (which shows *some* sense
of humor), but probably not the thing that would show the *most* sense of
humor.

If you know what I mean.

Hmm, so when the call of nature occurs they can say, "Oh, he's taking a
Colbert"? :-)

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old April 15th 09, 04:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
one...

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Remind me again why an American module should be named after some
European most Americans have never heard of?

Why, it's elementary if you think about it, my dear fellow:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dyn...of_An_Asteroid

Pat

Note, I didn't say NO Americans. :-)

But do we really want to name it after a guy so clumsy that he fell over a
waterfall?

Old April 15th 09, 04:21 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jorge R. Frank

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

[...]

You'll find out in ten minutes.

Get yer popcorn ready.
Old April 15th 09, 04:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message

You'll find out in ten minutes.

Get yer popcorn ready.

I missed it on TV, but wikipedia was already updated. :-)

I won't ruin the surprise for others, but let's say Node 3 is named
Tranquility.

Old April 15th 09, 09:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

Note, I didn't say NO Americans. :-)

But do we really want to name it after a guy so clumsy that he fell
over a waterfall?

Was pushed! That ******* pushed me, using some sort of ungentlemanly
oriental fighting technique.
Little did he know that I had already brought the Nautilus up the river
at the base of the falls and was quickly rescued:
http://www.pjfarmer.com/secret/contr...UBTERFUGE2.htm
But he shall pay for this infamy...he does not suspect the fact that a
deadly cone-shell-snail awaits him in his bath tub drain at this very
moment.
That "U" shaped pipe which he thinks protects him from sewer gas is now
filled with salt water, and a thin thread shall pull the venomous
creature forth as he removes the stopper.
The end of his bath shall be the end of him also.

M.
Old April 15th 09, 03:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Dr J R Stockton[_25_]

In sci.space.policy message U4OdnXOFfP_NSXnUnZ2dnUVZ_vOdnZ2d@earthlink.
com, Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:23:22, "Greg D. Moore (Strider)" mooregr_dele
posted:
"Dr J R Stockton" wrote in message
. invalid...
In sci.space.policy message n6udnbKm7umAGH7UnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@earthlink.
com, Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:33:04, "Greg D. Moore (Strider)" mooregr_dele
posted:

Eh, this is a prime example of the Golden Rule. He with the gold,
makes the rules. We bought and paid for it.

One could not, from experience, have ever expected otherwise of you.

Thank you, I attempt to be consistent.

Please realise that "you" can, as here, be plural; it follows "We", so
plural is expected. It refers not to GDM but to the USA.

The module may now become burdened with the name of a second-rate self-
publicist, when it could have been named after, for example, the famous
European astrodynamicist Moriarty.

Remind me again why an American module should be named after some
European most Americans have never heard of?

As an educational experience. I rather think by your reply that you
yourself do not know who I am referring to (BTW: James M, not Jim M).

--

You should know better than to quote a signature; and you must be using
poor software.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Old April 15th 09, 09:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote in message
nvalid...
The module may now become burdened with the name of a second-rate self-
publicist, when it could have been named after, for example, the famous
European astrodynamicist Moriarty.

Remind me again why an American module should be named after some
European most Americans have never heard of?

As an educational experience. I rather think by your reply that you
yourself do not know who I am referring to (BTW: James M, not Jim M).

Obviously as my other posts show, I do. But again, I'm not quite sure what
educational experience is to be gained here.

I'm quite content with the solution NASA came up with. When the UK wants to
chip in for the Mobile Orbital Inertial Area Regional Tracking Yurt, then
they can name it.