Astronomy and Linux questions

Old September 10th 04, 08:00 AM
JuanL

Default Astronomy and Linux questions

Hi,

I want to migrate to Linux and I want to know if there are astronomy
programs for it.

1)Are there equivalent programs for Linux?
-K3CCD
-Registax
-HNSKY

2)I have also a
-TouCamp Pro
-Meade LX90
Are there drivers for Linux?

3)Don't ask why I don't keep Windows, please.

Regards,

John Lewis.
Old September 10th 04, 09:37 AM
Steve Maddison

JuanL wrote:
Hi,

I want to migrate to Linux and I want to know if there are astronomy
programs for it.

This is something I've also been thinking about recently. I use Linux
for practically everything these days, astronomy software being one of
the few things I still run under Windows.

1)Are there equivalent programs for Linux?
-K3CCD
-Registax
-HNSKY

I can't say I'm familiar with all of those, but you can find info about
many astronomy projects at http://freshmeat.net/browse/134/

I've never tried it for astronomy purposes, but the Gimp is great for
image processing in general. There's bound to be some kind of
functionality or plugin for image stacking, etc.

2)I have also a
-TouCamp Pro
-Meade LX90
Are there drivers for Linux?

A previous poster seems to have covered this part very well already. Let
us know how it goes with the LX90 - I have one too, but haven't had too
much time to experiment.

3)Don't ask why I don't keep Windows, please.

I certainly won't, but I will say that I still keep one machine that
dual-boots Windows, just for those things for which there's no practical
alternative under Linux.

Regards,

John Lewis.

Old September 10th 04, 11:12 AM
Mile Blenton

JuanL wrote:

I want to migrate to Linux and I want to know if there are astronomy
programs for it.

1)Are there equivalent programs for Linux?
-K3CCD
-Registax
-HNSKY

You can try running your win astro programs under linux
with wine (http://www.winehq.com/)

If it works, you're all set

Best regards,
Mario

Old September 10th 04, 11:50 AM
Passero

"Mile Blenton" schreef in bericht
JuanL wrote:

I want to migrate to Linux and I want to know if there are astronomy
programs for it.

1)Are there equivalent programs for Linux?
-K3CCD
-Registax
-HNSKY

You can try running your win astro programs under linux
with wine (http://www.winehq.com/)

It works... but how. I used cartes du ciel with Wine and i looks poor. It's
not that good i think.

If it works, you're all set

Best regards,
Mario

Old September 10th 04, 12:28 PM
Mile Blenton

Passero wrote:

It works... but how. I used cartes du ciel with Wine and i looks poor.
It's not that good i think.

looks poor or runs poor?
speed will always be an issue with emulators.

as for cartes du ciel, I think you can compile it for linux,
but you probably already knew that

best regards,
Mario

Old September 10th 04, 01:17 PM
George Hein

XEPHEM works well in Linux. KSTARS is an excellent program was well.

I had GUIDE (Project Pluto) working thru WINE, but I keep changing Linux
environments too often (RedHat, Suse, Mandrake, Fedora, and lately
Debian), having 5 full bootable partitions on this ThinkPad. Also keep
getting latest updates and losing WINE in the process. Since I do not
use GUIDE that often I gave up trying. If you get WINE working on an
environment then I advise you to stick with it if you really want it.
I am suprised to see how well WINE works, IF you get it to work.
Old September 10th 04, 01:26 PM
Davoud

JuanL:
I want to migrate to Linux and I want to know if there are astronomy
programs for it.

1)Are there equivalent programs for Linux?
-K3CCD
-Registax
-HNSKY

2)I have also a
-TouCamp Pro
-Meade LX90
Are there drivers for Linux?

3)Don't ask why I don't keep Windows, please.

OK, I won't ask why you don't keep Windows. But -- as a user of both
Macs and Windows -- I have to ask why you don't *consider* a Mac. The
Mac OS is BSD Unix; anything that can be compiled to run on Linux can
be compiled to run on a Mac. The Mac also has native equivalents for
the programs you mentioned, and a lot of other top-quality astronomy
software -- and _most_ people who have _considerable experience_ with
Mac and Windows (as opposed to "I've seen a Mac" or "I used one back in
'87") find that Mac software is of a higher quality than Windows
software. But if there is some bit of Windows software that you can't
live without, the Mac can also run the Windows version of your choice
under emulation.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old September 10th 04, 01:28 PM
Al Wilson

JuanL wrote:

I want to migrate to Linux and I want to know if there are astronomy
programs for it.

Yes, but they are mostly written for and by professional astronomers.
Amateur and professional astronomers have very different needs. For
example, Linux has nothing to offer for planning and logging. Xephem
is over-rated and there is far better software for Mac and Windows.

Old September 10th 04, 01:29 PM
Al Wilson

Paul Lawler wrote:

Okay... I'm not asking. But aren't there Windows emulators for Linux? No
sense sacrificing all your astronomy software just to worship at the feet
of the penguin. g

WINe is about the best one and it sucks. If you can only have one
computer, then get Mac OS X and run Virtual PC on it.
Mac and Windows is freedom.

how to manage a "server farm" (caching on Linux or Unix) Robert SETI 34 June 26th 04 01:35 PM
Warning... Marty Amateur Astronomy 43 May 7th 04 01:19 PM
Digital Setting Circles driven by Linux? Mike Fitterman Amateur Astronomy 51 February 28th 04 12:53 AM
Software Question: KStar Linux Josh Gregorio Misc 14 October 15th 03 07:06 AM