Smoke & Clouds ( with Mirrors )

Old July 18th 04, 06:06 PM
starlord

Default Smoke & Clouds ( with Mirrors )

Yesterday a new brush fire down near L.A. got going and it's smoke filled
the Desert skys and in late afternoon I was thinking I'd not be able to set
up. But I got ready anyway. By just about 8:15pm the winds had changed
enough that the smoke was thining out and even Jupiter could be seen. So I
went up and set up. Had just over an hour of showing Jupiter to folks when a
layer of clouds from the southwest moved in and wiped everything out. So I
came home.

It was funny, at one point I realy wished the owner of the foster freeze
could have been there! Why? A older man/woman came over, they had moved to
Rosamond in May of 1998 and have seen me all these years at that corner and
for the first time, came over to have a look see. They live out at 80th ST
West, no town lights there. By then Jupiter had been covered, butI was able
to find Vega for them and we had a nice talk about how far away the Stars
really are.

When they left I packed up as even Vega was getting covered. Today another
clear sky, I just hope it stays that way!

---

Old July 18th 04, 07:01 PM
Mike Simmons

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:06:54 -0700, starlord
wrote:

Yesterday a new brush fire down near L.A. got going and it's smoke filled
the Desert skys and in late afternoon I was thinking I'd not be able to
set
up. But I got ready anyway.

Good for you -- as usual. But don't set up if you have ash falling. The
ash can corrode the aluminum on your mirror.

Mike Simmons
Old July 19th 04, 12:23 AM
starlord

Fires are many miles away, the one nearest is blowing it's smoke towards the
northwest or due south. The other fire is at lest 60 miles away and the
smoke is real high up stuff.

Hay the smoke did do one night thing! It cut down the glare of Jupiter to
the point where I could see a lot more of the cloud belts on the planet.

news