Orion 80mm ED--in my hands--tested!

Old August 19th 03, 12:34 AM
Doug Peterson

Default Orion 80mm ED--in my hands--tested!

Orion pulled it off.

I was utterly suprised that the Orion has FAR LESS color than a
Megrez. In fact it rivals the Takahashi FS-78. I know this because I
had all three scopes on the same daytime artificial star. I would
place it in the same league as the Tele Vue 76, which is somewhat more
colorful that the FS-78 due to its faster F#. Hats off.

More importantly, the wavefront is very good. The "correction" of
spherical abberation is very good, 1/8 wave or even better, just a
hint of overcorrection. The fresnel rings are pleasingly round, and
the focus "snaps".

From the manual, the tube is aluminum; the focuser has about the same
feel as the Megrez. The 1/4-20 block is set a little too forward, best
balance will be with a 2" diagonal. Or 4" rings can be used.

What else do Synta and Orion have up their sleeves?
Old August 19th 03, 01:28 AM
Ron B[ee]

Wow, that's quite an enlightment! Thanks Doug for sharing the info
with us.

Now everyone seems to think the scope is made in China by Synta.
Did the box or a "sticker" on the scope gave you some evidence of
this (or at least "Made in China")?

Thanks,
Ron B[ee]
--------------
"Doug Peterson" wrote in message
om...
Orion pulled it off.

I was utterly suprised that the Orion has FAR LESS color than a
Megrez. In fact it rivals the Takahashi FS-78. I know this because I
had all three scopes on the same daytime artificial star. I would
place it in the same league as the Tele Vue 76, which is somewhat more
colorful that the FS-78 due to its faster F#. Hats off.

More importantly, the wavefront is very good. The "correction" of
spherical abberation is very good, 1/8 wave or even better, just a
hint of overcorrection. The fresnel rings are pleasingly round, and
the focus "snaps".

From the manual, the tube is aluminum; the focuser has about the same

Old August 19th 03, 03:47 AM
TMBack

Hi Doug,

I was utterly suprised that the Orion has FAR LESS
color than a Megrez. In fact it rivals the Takahashi
FS-78. I know this because I had all three scopes on
the same daytime artificial star. I would place it in the
same league as the Tele Vue 76, which is somewhat
more colorful that the FS-78 due to its faster F#. Hats
off.

More importantly, the wavefront is very good. The
"correction" of spherical abberation is very good, 1/8
wave or even better, just a hint of overcorrection. The
fresnel rings are pleasingly round, and the focus
"snaps".

You're absolutely correct that the wavefront is "more
important" than the color correction. Otherwise, the
lens would be limited to low/medium magnifications.

If they can keep the lens quality consistent, it's a big
winner at its price point. The thing that surprises me
the most, is that the ED element is in the front. Just to
be on the safe side, I would take care in cleaning the
first surface.

Thomas Back

Old August 19th 03, 04:38 AM
Gin

Doug,

Please give us more reports on field test. See how much mag can you bring
this scope up on moon/planets before it breaks down.

How is the focuser? If you put heavy accessories behind and point the scope
up, does the focuser slips?

Many thanks for your initial report! you are getting me excited!

Gin
"Doug Peterson" wrote in message
om...
Orion pulled it off.

I was utterly suprised that the Orion has FAR LESS color than a
Megrez. In fact it rivals the Takahashi FS-78. I know this because I
had all three scopes on the same daytime artificial star. I would
place it in the same league as the Tele Vue 76, which is somewhat more
colorful that the FS-78 due to its faster F#. Hats off.

More importantly, the wavefront is very good. The "correction" of
spherical abberation is very good, 1/8 wave or even better, just a
hint of overcorrection. The fresnel rings are pleasingly round, and
the focus "snaps".

From the manual, the tube is aluminum; the focuser has about the same

Old August 19th 03, 05:56 AM
Doug Peterson

This sounds very encouraging. Now, does it have any field stops
cutting into the light cone?
-Rich

The baffles are nothing fancy like TMBs', however they do NOT cut into
the light cone.

Old August 19th 03, 06:13 AM
Doug Peterson

And, AFAIK, the Megrez is a standard achromat no better than the next.
No such thing as Semi-APO in any of the short FL achromatic scopes
that do not use a bonified substrate.

Clear skies,

Pete

The Megrez and Pronto seem to offer some color reduction--but it is
still a case of being only semi pregnant. The planets are still
green-tinged, and daytime use reveals plenty of unfocused energy
around. So ED or semi-APO seem to be too strong terms to describe
these modest improvements. Perhaps semi-ED.

Things get more interesting with the true EDs, middle of the road
correction that can be shown to display color on bright stars, but
essentially corrected for planetary use. What suprised me was the
Orion neatly stepped past the others into this range.

I find the fluorite doublets to be the true crossover point, and the
Takahashis are truly a buyers market at present.

Of course the true color free APOs are still the ones to beat, and I'm
sure the Chinese aren't competing in this stratospheric market anytime
soon. Once you've gotten used to an FCT or Russian or American
triplet, it's hard to go back!