Red dwarf

Old May 9th 05, 01:57 AM
Margret

Default Red dwarf

Could someone please tell me what exactly is a "red dwarf"? Is it a star
that has disintegrated?
Margret

Old May 9th 05, 02:07 AM
Twittering One

"Could someone please tell me exactly
What's a 'red dwarf'? Is it a star
That's disintegrated?"
~ Margret

"Just a Chinese crested dog ~
Yes, that's Elf.

[Pst. Tell Ms.
Margret Juntwaite to host tonight's Metropolitan Opera
Live ~ !]

~ * ~
* Elf ~
The Chinese Crested Dog

(Hairless,
With a whiff of headhair)

Stars as
The Impish Jester
In a forthcoming ballet ~
~ Fifth Avenue Gold Coast:
A Pee Promenade ~
* A New Ballet, a Pet Parade,
Performance
By Ballets Russes *
A Morning Wood Production
Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
West Edge Off Center
* Dogging Arts * Fogging Minds * It's a Star *

*
~ * ~

Old May 9th 05, 02:13 AM
Twittering One

"... and if Elf's
Still lost, wandering wild, perambulating, aimlessly circling
Woods of Haarlem,
Partially lost,
Then, O, alas ~

Mica
Must star. Tell Jane."
~ Folly

"Or
Marzipan."
~ Twittering

Old May 9th 05, 03:12 AM
Odysseus

Margret wrote:

Could someone please tell me what exactly is a "red dwarf"? Is it a star
that has disintegrated?

No, it's a faint star that's so small that it doesn't burn very hot
(comparatively speaking), hence the red colour; this also makes it
longer-lived than other stars, taking many billions of years to use
up what fuel it has. It never gets beyond the hydrogen-burning stage,
not having enough mass to generate the internal pressures required to
fuse heavier nuclei. So once its original substance is consumed --
converted to helium -- it very slowly cools, becoming an 'ember'.

You may be thinking of white dwarfs, which are remnants of
average-sized stars that have collapsed to the spectacular extent
that their constituent molecules are crushed into an extremely dense,
degenerate mixture of atomic nuclei and electrons. Despite having
enormously high temperatures they're very faint because they're so
small in size -- if not in mass.

--
Odysseus
Old May 9th 05, 04:17 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon

"Margret" no wrote in :

Could someone please tell me what exactly is a "red dwarf"? Is it a
star that has disintegrated?
Margret

The term "red dwarf" refers to a star of low mass. It is red because it
has a relatively low surface temperature. The Sun is a type known as a
yellow dwarf, somewhat more massive and with a higher surface
temperature than a red dwarf.

Klazmon
Old May 9th 05, 09:14 AM
Bee

"Margret" no wrote in message ...
Could someone please tell me what exactly is a "red dwarf"? Is it a star
that has disintegrated?
Margret

It is a short, twinky ..
with a little pinky

A quirky winky
sometimes brings a stinky ...
from too much minky

Yet always right
yet has inner height
no fight to flight ..

Sitting on a Star ..

So bright..

It doesn't fight..
thought full of might.

and love ...

no fear!

Not spite!

Bee-JI- smiting g

Old May 9th 05, 10:37 AM
Bee

"Llanzlan Klazmon" wrote in message
7.6...
"Margret" no wrote in :

Could someone please tell me what exactly is a "red dwarf"? Is it a
star that has disintegrated?
Margret

The term "red dwarf" refers to a star of low mass. It is red because it
has a relatively low surface temperature. The Sun is a type known as a
yellow dwarf, somewhat more massive and with a higher surface
temperature than a red dwarf.

Klazmon

Do you know of a website that speaks of this language whereby I can take a
look at??

Bee

Old May 9th 05, 12:52 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Klazmon What is the difference of Red dwarf,and Red giant? Besides
their size. Our sun's last stages is to go from red giant(160 times its
present radius) Then it will lose that thin outer layers to space and
shrink into its final "white dwarf" stage Seems Klazmon these white
dwarfs must just fad away,and fading away could take a long spacetime.
Bert

Old May 10th 05, 01:37 AM
Double-A

"Margret" no wrote in :

Could someone please tell me what exactly is a "red dwarf"? Is it

star that has disintegrated?
Margret

The term "red dwarf" refers to a star of low mass. It is red

because it
has a relatively low surface temperature. The Sun is a type known

as a
yellow dwarf, somewhat more massive and with a higher surface
temperature than a red dwarf.

Klazmon

Do you know of a website that speaks of this language whereby I can

take a
look at??

Bee

http://www.answers.com/topic/red-dwarf-1