CCD comparison source- Toucam and other AVI cameras??

Old January 6th 05, 03:56 PM
John Olon

Default CCD comparison source- Toucam and other AVI cameras??

Lately, I have noticed some newer, faster, and uncompressed cameras similar
to a Toucam coming on the market and, although expensive, they appear to
offer like 30 fps rates without loss and either a USB2 or Firewire
connection. My main question is their CCD sensitivity and noise levels- is
there any place on the web showing a comparsion between the CCDs these
cameras are using compared with the Toucams? The closest thing I have been
able to find so far is the site for K3CCD Tools: it offers comparsions
between Toucams, Vestas, and several long exposure modified security
cameras, but none of the newest 30 fps cameras.

I am thinking of entering into the planetary imaging. However, after
analyzing my seeing conditions over the past several months, I don't think a
standard Toucam would work well here. Basically not enough gain and
compressed at the higher frame rates. So a 30 fps camera might be better,
but only if the CCD is of much greater sensitivity than a Toucams.

Thanks in advance,
John Olon