Pulse Jets

Old December 5th 03, 09:48 AM
pervect

Default Pulse Jets

A week or so ago I saw a rather neat Junkyard Wars episode on
pulse-jets. I'm also rather intrigued that it was felt to be a safe
enough gadget to build for the TV show.

It was an amazingly simple contraption, a jet with no moving parts. I
was wondering where I could find out more about the history of these
devices, and perhaps some information as to why they are apparently
outdated and no longer in use. I believe they were used in the V2
rockets in WWII (?).
Old December 6th 03, 12:23 AM
Ray Drouillard

Try typing "pulse jet" into your favorite search engine. That will get
you more information than you can assimilate in a few days.

Ray

Old December 6th 03, 12:42 AM
BllFs6

http://www.pulse-jets.com/forumforside.asp

all the stuff youd like to know about pulsejets and related such things......

of course half is good and half is horse manure.....the rest is up to you

take care

Blll

Old December 6th 03, 12:56 AM
Bruce Simpson

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 00:41:30 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

In sci.space.tech pervect wrote:
A week or so ago I saw a rather neat Junkyard Wars episode on
pulse-jets. I'm also rather intrigued that it was felt to be a safe
enough gadget to build for the TV show.

It was an amazingly simple contraption, a jet with no moving parts. I
was wondering where I could find out more about the history of these
devices, and perhaps some information as to why they are apparently
outdated and no longer in use. I believe they were used in the V2
rockets in WWII (?).

V1 "doodlebug" in WWII.
The V2 was a rocket.
Do a search for
"bruce simpson" pulsejet
(bruce was the team-leader in that episode, and has a website on pulsejets.)

Well talk of the devil -- here I am (Bruce Simpson that is :-)

Yep, I was the "expert" in for the pulsejet team and you can find out
probabl;y more than you'd like to know by visting my website at
http://aardvark.co.nz/pjet/

There's even some video of a 200lbs-thrust valveless pulsejet that is
unique insomuch as it starts all by itself without the need for any
forced air to get it going.

There's also information on my X-Jet project which is a very
high-performance pulsejet that produces TSFC figures of around
1.0-1.1, that's equivalent to a pure turbojet. It also has no moving
parts.

If anyone has any specific questions then fire away and I'll do my
best to answer them.

Old December 6th 03, 02:34 AM
Chuck

A week or so ago I saw a rather neat Junkyard Wars episode on
pulse-jets. I'm also rather intrigued that it was felt to be a safe
enough gadget to build for the TV show.

It was an amazingly simple contraption, a jet with no moving parts. I
was wondering where I could find out more about the history of these
devices, and perhaps some information as to why they are apparently
outdated and no longer in use. I believe they were used in the V2
rockets in WWII (?).

One of the big reasons they are out-dated, is the noise. They are
incredibly loud, even compaired to other types of jet engines. Not to
mention that the sound is a much lower bass sound, so it travels
further than the higher pitched sound of a turbo jet.

for some info on them try these pages.

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/

http://home.earthlink.net/~famcaine/...s/PulseJet.htm

The first one is a page by the expert from the Junkyard Wars show you
mention.

-Chuck. (www.wormspeaker.com)
Spread love and understanding...
but don't be afraid to bloody your knuckles doing it.
-Alex Ross