NASA loses contact with ISS

Old February 19th 13, 07:06 PM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default NASA loses contact with ISS

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/19/us/nas...html?hpt=hp_t2

Sounds like a software glitch and not a major issue. Yet.

Also, I believe they still have the ham set aboard so in theory could
communicate over most of the orbit.

Old February 19th 13, 09:25 PM posted to sci.space.station
David Spain

You have to let go of the 'Talk' button before you can hear anyone! :-)

Dave

Old February 19th 13, 09:56 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article ,
says...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/19/us/nas...html?hpt=hp_t2

Sounds like a software glitch and not a major issue. Yet.

Also, I believe they still have the ham set aboard so in theory could
communicate over most of the orbit.

But communicate with who? Certainly not NASA's mission control.

As far as I know, the US side is able to maintain "constant"
communications because it links with the TDRS satellites via a
directional (parabolic) antenna.

Jeff
Old February 20th 13, 02:58 AM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

says...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/19/us/nas...html?hpt=hp_t2

Sounds like a software glitch and not a major issue. Yet.

Also, I believe they still have the ham set aboard so in theory could
communicate over most of the orbit.

But communicate with who? Certainly not NASA's mission control.

You underestimate the power of ham operators.

I'm thinking more in the case of an emergency where they can't wait to get
in range of Russia they can CQ and ask someone to do a phone patch to
Houston. Unlikely? Yes.

But more my point is that while some data might be lost in the meantime,
it's not a real risk to the astronauts.

As far as I know, the US side is able to maintain "constant"
communications because it links with the TDRS satellites via a
directional (parabolic) antenna.

Could be this is what was broken? At least when I posted the URL, it didn't
have much detail.

Jeff

Old February 20th 13, 06:07 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Feb 19, 12:25*pm, David Spain wrote:
You have to let go of the 'Talk' button before you can hear anyone! :-)

Dave

It's full duplex communications. Talking or talk button pushing
doesn't prevent receiving.
Old February 20th 13, 06:16 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Maybe another space rock nobody saw. ahem.

Brian

Email:

m...

--
Greg D. Moore
http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/

Old February 20th 13, 01:22 PM posted to sci.space.station
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

Maybe another space rock nobody saw. ahem.

Maybe, but considering this occurred right after a software upgrade to the
communications system, let's go with the most obvious solution.

Brian

Old February 21st 13, 05:44 PM posted to sci.space.station
André , PE1PQX

Greg (Strider) Moore formuleerde de vraag :
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

says...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/19/us/nas...html?hpt=hp_t2

Sounds like a software glitch and not a major issue. Yet.

Also, I believe they still have the ham set aboard so in theory could
communicate over most of the orbit.

But communicate with who? Certainly not NASA's mission control.

You underestimate the power of ham operators.

I'm thinking more in the case of an emergency where they can't wait to get in
range of Russia they can CQ and ask someone to do a phone patch to Houston.
Unlikely? Yes.

Legal?? Probably not.. Here in NLD the HAM operation rules states no
message dispatch for third paries allowed, unless an direct emergency
was declared.