Speed of Saturn V at first staging?

Old August 25th 09, 04:59 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jud McCranie[_2_]

Default Speed of Saturn V at first staging?

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:29:31 -0400, David Spain
wrote:

In the curve for Vs it appears it actually is *reduced* for
approx 25 seconds after launch before rising above its initial
value at s=0. We're speculating its due to early rocket motion
due to first stage engine gimbals?

I noticed that too and I assumed it had to do with the path of the
rocket and what it is measured relative to. Need some clarification
though.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Old September 9th 09, 12:58 PM posted to sci.space.history
wdw

Vs appears to be a space-centered velocity. What is not clear from the
document are the axes against which it is measured. However, if you
think of the way the rocket is climbing vertically for the first half
minute, you can see that it is not gaining horizontal velocity until
the tilt to the east is established. Rather than being due to drag,
I'd speculate that vectors are at the root of this dip.

Cheers

David
Author: How Apollo Flew to the Moon

On Aug 25, 4:29*am, David Spain wrote:

Perhaps you can explain the small dip in the curve given for Vs
in Figure 1 on page 2 in the NASA Tech Note linked to below:

http://www.klabs.org/history/reports...1970023342.pdf

In the curve for Vs it appears it actually is *reduced* for
approx 25 seconds after launch before rising above its initial
value at s=0. We're speculating its due to early rocket motion
due to first stage engine gimbals?

David Spain- Hide quoted text -

Author: How Apollo Flew to the Moon

So for the craft to remain vertical during the first 30s of ascent,
it must essentially move in a direction somewhat opposite of the
Earth's rotation, retarding Vs? Therefore it looses Vs until the
Eastward tilt (pitch?) begins to give it positive V in the
direction of rotation? From then on it's as one would expect.

That make sense.

Dave