HST repair delayed; Ares 1-X launch slips

Old October 31st 08, 01:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default HST repair delayed; Ares 1-X launch slips

That Hubble repair mission is causing a lot of trouble as far as
scheduling for other things goes:
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20..._update_a.html

Pat
Old October 31st 08, 02:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:42:09 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

That Hubble repair mission is causing a lot of trouble as far as
scheduling for other things goes:
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20..._update_a.html

Like an Ares-1-X slip is going to slow the actual program down.
Old October 31st 08, 11:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:42:09 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

That Hubble repair mission is causing a lot of trouble as far as
scheduling for other things goes:
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20..._update_a.html

Like an Ares-1-X slip is going to slow the actual program down.

NASA management certainly played the blame the Russians game with ISS, so it
wouldn't surprise me if they were found doing the same sort of thing with
Ares.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Old October 31st 08, 12:05 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Ian Parker

On 31 Oct, 10:58, "Jeff Findley" wrote:
"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:42:09 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

That Hubble repair mission is causing a lot of trouble as far as
scheduling for other things goes:
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20..._update_a.html

Like an Ares-1-X slip is going to slow the actual program down.

NASA management certainly played the blame the Russians game with ISS, so it
wouldn't surprise me if they were found doing the same sort of thing with
Ares.

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

I have just read an article in the Times which says that Apollo/saturn
veterans are being drafted in to sort out the Ares problems. I did say
some time back that Sauturn worked and one could do a lot worse than
dig out the S5 designs.

- Ian Parker
Old October 31st 08, 12:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Ian Parker" wrote in message
I have just read an article in the Times which says that Apollo/saturn
veterans are being drafted in to sort out the Ares problems. I did say
some time back that Sauturn worked and one could do a lot worse than
dig out the S5 designs.

Saturn V did have its teething problems. In particular, the POGO problem
was rather severe.

However, I always like to note that POGO problems in a liquid fueled engine
stage can be solved, and were solved on Saturn V. But the vibration problem
with solid rocket motors can't really be eliminated. The best you can do
with large solids is to mitigate the problem.

Jeff

Old October 31st 08, 02:37 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:

Saturn V did have its teething problems. In particular, the POGO problem
was rather severe.

However, I always like to note that POGO problems in a liquid fueled engine
stage can be solved, and were solved on Saturn V.

Sort of solved... they never did completely figure out the root cause of
it in the first stage, and the second stage severely manifested it at
least once - during the Apollo 13 mission in which it caused the center
J-2 to shut down just prior to it getting to the point where it could
have caused vehicle failure.
There's a discussion of it in relation to various boosters he
http://www.pwrengineering.com/articles/pogo.htm

Pat
Old October 31st 08, 03:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Ian Parker wrote:
:
:I have just read an article in the Times which says that Apollo/saturn
:veterans are being drafted in to sort out the Ares problems.
:

Which "Times" and could we have a real cite to that?

You do realize that "Apollo/Saturn veterans" would be in their 80's or
older by now, right?

:
:I did say
:some time back that Sauturn worked and one could do a lot worse than
:dig out the S5 designs.
:

One could also do much, much, MUCH better...

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine
Old October 31st 08, 05:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Martha Adams

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
Ian Parker wrote:
:
:I have just read an article in the Times which says that
Apollo/saturn
:veterans are being drafted in to sort out the Ares problems.
:

Which "Times" and could we have a real cite to that?

You do realize that "Apollo/Saturn veterans" would be in their 80's or
older by now, right?

:
:I did say
:some time back that Sauturn worked and one could do a lot worse than
:dig out the S5 designs.
:

One could also do much, much, MUCH better...

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine

Note those words:

One could also do much, much, MUCH better...

which are true but if you have any engineering experience
then you would be thinking,

Well, there are basically two kinds of product improvement
over time. These are, 1) incremental growth; 2) breakthru.
However, the few Saturn V flights (in face of budgets cuts
and engineering shops and production line rumors) weren't
sufficient experience for either one to happen. Truly
great ideas were on the boards (and when I think what would
have come of it if the Vietnam war had been cut back to free
dollars for Apollo rather than Apollo killed to gain dollars
for the war, *that hurts*. Think of how today's America
would be different).

Anyhow, yes, I recall hearing of the Saturn V pogo, and of
the remedies for it. You know the age of the workers who
made Apollo averaged out to about 28? If the program had
not been killed, those people in their primes would have
accomplished miracles. I have a suggestion, if you want
to know a little more of the Washington political style
around that time: find a video of Burt Rutan's talk at
ISDC 2005. The video loses his slides, so I'm scouting
around cyberspace to find a pointer to his talk put in
print somewhere -- with the slides. If I can find this,
I'll advertise it all thru cyberspace. From the rooftops,
as they say, but that's another topic.

Yes, we could do much, much, MUCH better.... Can you
review the news, scout around right here in this topic,
sci.spac.policy, and guess some reasons why such bad
people in power could foist such bad decisions upon
all of us? So it never happened? ??

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2008 Oct 31]

Old November 1st 08, 07:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

Fred J. McCall wrote:
Ian Parker wrote:
:
:I have just read an article in the Times which says that Apollo/saturn
:veterans are being drafted in to sort out the Ares problems.
:

Which "Times" and could we have a real cite to that?

Regardless of which Times, it's partially true.

Apollo/Saturn veterans are involved in Constellation, but they've been
involved since the beginning, not just "to sort out the Ares problems."

You do realize that "Apollo/Saturn veterans" would be in their 80's or
older by now, right?

Not all of them. Some are in their late 60s and early 70s. Some never
even retired. Al Pennington (Apollo INCO and shuttle flight director) is
working Constellation, for example. So are John Young and T. K. Mattingly.