SpaceX: Falcon 1 Flight 4

Old September 29th 08, 01:14 AM posted to sci.space.policy
OM[_6_]

Default SpaceX: Falcon 1 Flight 4

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:01:35 GMT, "Martha Adams"
wrote:

However, on this off-topic, are you *sure* that's what the
Ouija Board said? Because, you weren't on just any old topic,
but asking how about Washington....

....Spell "Kltpzyxm" backwards. If that doesn't work, I'll explain the
joke.

Might it have been replying, "Btfsplk"? ??

....I'll let you know in 90 days when the board returns. Probably
preceeded by a storm cloud over my head.

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old September 30th 08, 09:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Martha Adams wrote:
"OM" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 00:51:22 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

I just checked with my "Talking Magic 8-Ball" and it said that although
things aren't certain, it will probably succeed.

The Talking Magic 8-Ball never fails.
Will the Dow close down over 1,000 points in the past two days when
trading stops this afternoon?
"My answer is yes...it is definitely possible".

Pat

Old September 30th 08, 10:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy
disgoftunwells

On 28 Sep, 03:05, Damon Hill wrote:
Launch is scheduled for Sunday, September 28 from 4 to 9 pm, Pacific Daylight
Time.

--Damon

Any word on the recovery of the 1st stage?
Old September 30th 08, 12:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"disgoftunwells" wrote in message
On 28 Sep, 03:05, Damon Hill wrote:
Launch is scheduled for Sunday, September 28 from 4 to 9 pm, Pacific
Daylight
Time.

--Damon

Any word on the recovery of the 1st stage?

None. I don't think they've tried to recover any of the stages thus far -
it's a feature that I find interesting, but might end up costing more in the
long run than simply using the Falcon 1 as an EELV. From memory, the F9
first stage is also recoverable.

Old September 30th 08, 01:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"disgoftunwells" wrote in message
On 28 Sep, 03:05, Damon Hill wrote:
Launch is scheduled for Sunday, September 28 from 4 to 9 pm, Pacific
Daylight
Time.

--Damon

Any word on the recovery of the 1st stage?

It'll be entering the Betty Ford clinic later this week and expects a full
recovery. After that it'll be going to court ordered AA for the next 18
months.

Old September 30th 08, 04:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
m...
"disgoftunwells" wrote in message
Any word on the recovery of the 1st stage?

It'll be entering the Betty Ford clinic later this week and expects a full
recovery. After that it'll be going to court ordered AA for the next 18
months.

I knew RP-1 was addictive.

Old September 30th 08, 06:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Martha Adams

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in
message m...
"disgoftunwells" wrote in message
Any word on the recovery of the 1st stage?

It'll be entering the Betty Ford clinic later this week and expects a
full recovery. After that it'll be going to court ordered AA for the
next 18 months.

I knew RP-1 was addictive.

When the third launch was lost, there was mention of a
parachute aboard the booster; and that the second stage
firing too close to the booster, destroyed the parachute.
I have not seen booster recovery discussed since then,
but considering the amount of work to build and proof a
booster, Musk and SpaceX have to be thinking about
trying and debugging booster recovery ASAP.

I noticed in this #4 launch, an instability in rotation
about the long axis, seen in #3, was no longer there.
One by one, these things get fixed; and Musk has a
reliable launch product. Right On, Musk!

I hope he can find money at a point to buy out the added
money recently found somewhere, so that he again has a
full control of his company. There are just too many
uncertainties out there, not to say inimical forces. If
Musk can wholly own his company, that's a small safety
against unfriendly "friends that follow."

Anyhow, I look for the parachute to be back, next launch
would not surprise me; and if it works, that's another
substantial piece of good news. I.e., I'm hoping for a
launch with a *re-used booster*.

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2008 Sep 30]

Old September 30th 08, 08:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Anthony Frost

In message
"Alan Erskine" wrote:

"disgoftunwells" wrote in message

Any word on the recovery of the 1st stage?

None. I don't think they've tried to recover any of the stages thus far -
it's a feature that I find interesting, but might end up costing more in the
long run than simply using the Falcon 1 as an EELV. From memory, the F9
first stage is also recoverable.

For the second flight at least it was mentioned that their recovery ship
was on station during the countdown. Unfortunately the GPS and beacon
failed and it couldn't be located.

Anthony