The water dump anomaly?

Old July 16th 06, 02:49 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Default The water dump anomaly?

So, this problem they are having today with the nozzle temperature suddenly
dropping and then they have to heat it to 300 degrees to keep it going.

I seem to recall one of the problems some time back was an icicle here that
came off and did some damage. I'd be very tempted, I think to unbirth the
arm and poke it over the side to have a look in case there is ice on the
side of the orbiter, which is causing it.

Has anyone else heard this yet?

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old July 17th 06, 03:21 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Thanks, that's news worth following up on...

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
.uk...
They never said, but 250 was what they had been using to keep it hot. They
call it bake out.

It appears that the dumping overboard of water held in containers was
causing the temp to drop very much faster than expected, and they kept
having to stop, then bake out, then restart all the time.

Old July 18th 06, 01:06 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
.uk...
They never said, but 250 was what they had been using to keep it hot. They
call it bake out.

It appears that the dumping overboard of water held in containers was
causing the temp to drop very much faster than expected, and they kept
having to stop, then bake out, then restart all the time.

Why are they dumping so much water at once? Is this used water that they
don't want to dump while docked to ISS or what?

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)