How to View SDSS data base?

Old December 26th 16, 06:24 PM posted to sci.astro.research

Default How to View SDSS data base?

I am looking for tutorial or help to access SDSS data / images.

I would like to select an (ra, dec) pair with say 1 arc minute view,
then, list quasars within the field of view.

I got SIMBAD to almost do this, but there were 4,000 object locations
plotted and I couldn't get it to just display the dozen or so quasars
within the field that I am interested in....so it was very difficult
to see which were the qso's and which were the myriad other object
positions. I tried to use the otype = 'qso' command but couldn't
get it to work.

Is there a youtube tutorial? I'm reading the so called tutorials
for sdss and simbad, but haven't found how to do what I want yet
and have tried a bunch of things.

Thanks for suggestions,

rt
Old December 28th 16, 10:24 AM posted to sci.astro.research
[email protected]

On Monday, December 26, 2016 at 12:24:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am looking for tutorial or help to access SDSS data / images.

I would like to select an (ra, dec) pair with say 1 arc minute view,
then, list quasars within the field of view.

I got SIMBAD to almost do this, but there were 4,000 object locations
plotted and I couldn't get it to just display the dozen or so quasars
within the field that I am interested in....so it was very difficult
to see which were the qso's and which were the myriad other object
positions. I tried to use the otype = 'qso' command but couldn't
get it to work.

Is there a youtube tutorial? I'm reading the so called tutorials
for sdss and simbad, but haven't found how to do what I want yet
and have tried a bunch of things.

Thanks for suggestions,

rt

Sounds like you want to do a CasJob, a.k.a. an SQL query. The SDSS
website has extensive tutorial material on exactly how to do this,
together with quite a few exercises; a good place to start is he

http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr13/en/he...roduction.aspx

And one of the sample SQL Queries may be almost exactly what you want.