HST Daily Report #3400

Old July 9th 03, 02:36 PM
Jacques van Oene

Default HST Daily Report #3400

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE

DAILY REPORT # 3400

PERIOD COVERED: DOY 189

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NICMOS 8791

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 2

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of NICMOS.
Dark
frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA contour 23, and
every
time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50 minutes of coming out of the
SAA.
The darks will be obtained in parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The
POST-SAA
darks will be non-standard reference files available to users with a
USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to the
header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated with the
time,
in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8 times per day so
each
POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate time specified, for users to
identify the ones they need. Both the raw and processed images will be
archived
as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we expect that all NICMOS science/calibration
observations started within 50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps
remove the CR persistence from the science images. Each observation will
need
its own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS
detectors.

STIS/CCD/MA1 9410

The Galactic Warm Ionized Medium: the First Direct Measures of its
Ionization
and Abundances

The warm ionized medium {WIM} is the dominant gaseous component of the
Galactic
halo and represents an important sink of the radiative and kinetic energy
output
of stars and supernovae, though the source of its ionization remains
unknown. We
will use stis spectroscopy of the post-AGB stars ROB 162 and ZNG 1 in the
globular clusters NGC 6397 and Messier 5 to measure directly the abundances
and
ionization states of several key metals in the Galactic WIM. These sight
lines
are unique: because the two clusters also contain pulsars with published
radio
dispersion measurements, these are the only sight lines for which we can
derive
the column densities of both HI, em and ionH2, as well as the columns of
multiple ionization stages of the important metals S, P, and Fe. We will
use the
proposed stis observations with existing use data to derive the total
gas-phase
abundances of S, P, and Fe for the material along these sight lines with no
ionization uncertainties. We will directly measure the ionization fractions
of S
and P in the WIM. We will also infer the dust content of the WIM. Our study
of
the ionization state and dust content of the WIM will provide the best yet
constraints for models of this gas. Our work will also provide the best
constraint for the fundamental ``cosmic'' reference abundance {averaged over
these sight lines} of the undepleted elements S and P.

STIS 9418

The Sight-line toward PHL 1811: A Rare Chance to Probe a Lyman Limit System
at
Very Low

The sight-line to an extraordinarily bright quasar, PHL 1811, penetrates
four
gas systems at z{abs} z{em} = 0.192. One of them is a Lyman limit system
{LLS:
N{H I} 10^17.5 cm^-2} at z{abs} = 0.08088 which is especially well suited
for
a study of atomic abundances, local density, and ionization state. We
propose to
obtain a STIS E140M spectrum with moderately good S/N so that we can measure
absorption features that will permit the determinations of overall
metallicity
of the system, its nucleosynthetic ratios Alpha/Fe and Alpha/N, the
fractions
and kinematics of ionized gas, and the amount of gas-phase element
depletions
caused by dust. The LLS should be close enough for us to identify an
associated
galaxy, but to be sure we do not miss one very close to the quasar in
projection, we plan to supplement our spectrum with a short- exposure ACS
HRC
image of the quasar's immediate surroundings.

WFPC2 9458

Probing the Formation & Evolution of M31's Outer Disk and Halo

The fossil record of galaxy formation and evolution is imprinted on the
spatial
distribution, ages and metallicities of galactic stellar populations. The
observations proposed here build significantly upon our extensive
ground-based
and archival WFPC2 programs and aim to constrain the formation and evolution
of
our nearest large neighbour, M31. We propose deep imaging of 8 fields in the
outer disk and halo, several of which have been identified from our
panoramic
ground-based CCD survey {covering ~ 26 square degrees} to possess
significant
stellar density and/or potential metallicity variations. Deep
colour-magnitude
diagrams reaching ~2-3 magnitudes below the horizontal branch will be
constructed, allowing detailed characterization of the luminous evolved
stellar
populations via the red giant metallicity distribution, the luminous
asymptotic
giant branch, the horizontal branch morphology and the red clump, as well
as the
detection of a main-sequence that may be present from any younger
component. Our
primary goals are to: {i} quantify the stellar population variations
associated
with M31 halo substructure, including the newly- discovered giant stellar
stream, and {ii} derive stringent constraints on the age and metallicity of
stars in the far outer disk. These observations will directly address two
key
predictions of cold dark matter hierarchical galaxy formation models.

ACS 9468

ACS Grism Parallel Survey of Emission- line Galaxies at Redshift z pl 7

We propose an ACS grism parallel survey to search for emission-line galaxies
toward 50 random lines of sight over the redshift interval 0 zpl 7. We
request ACS parallel observations of duration more than one orbit at high
galactic latitude to identify ~ 300 HAlpha emission-line galaxies at 0.2pl
zpl
0.5, ~ 720 O IILambda3727 emission-line galaxies at 0.3pl zpl 1.68, and
pg
1000 Ly-alpha emission-line galaxies at 3pl zpl 7 with total emission line
flux fpg 2* 10^-17 ergs s^-1 cm^-2 over 578 arcmin^2. We will obtain direct
images with the F814W and F606W filters and dispersed images with the
WFC/G800L
grism at each position. The direct images will serve to provide a zeroth
order
model both for wavelength calibration of the extracted 1D spectra and for
determining extraction apertures of the corresponding dispersed images. The
primary scientific objectives are as follows: {1} We will establish a
uniform
sample of HAlpha and O II emission-line galaxies at z1.7 in order to obtain
accurate measurements of co-moving star formation rate density versus
redshift
over this redshift range. {2} We will study the spatial and statistical
distribution of star formation rate intensity in individual galaxies using
the
spatially resolved emission-line morphology in the grism images. And {3} we
will
study high-redshift universe using Ly-alpha emitting galaxies identified at
pl 7 in the survey. The data will be available to the community immediately
as
they are obtained.

ACS 9482

ACS Pure Parallel Lyman-Alpha Emission Survey {APPLES}

Ly-alpha line emission is an efficient tool for identifying young galaxies
at
high redshift, because it is strong in galaxies with young stars and little
or
no dust --- properties expected in galaxies undergoing their first burst of
star- formation. Slitless spectroscopy with the ACS Wide-Field Camera and
G800L
grism allows an unmatched search efficiency for such objects over the
uninterrupted range 4 ~ z ~ 7. We propose the ACS Pure Parallel Ly-alpha
Emission Survey {``APPLES''}, to exploit this unique HST capability and so
obtain the largest and most uniform sample of high redshift Ly-alpha
emitters
yet. Parallel observations will allow this survey to be conducted with
minimal
impact on HST resources, and we will place reduced images and extracted
spectra
in the public domain within three months of observation. We aim to find ~
1000
Ly-alpha emitters, 5 times the biggest current sample of Ly-alpha emitters.
This
unprecedented sample will provide robust statistics on the populations and
evolution of Ly-alpha emitters between redshifts 4--7; a robust measurement
of
the reionization redshift completely independent of the Gunn-Peterson
trough;
spatial clustering information for Ly-alpha emitters which would let us
probe
their bias function and hence halo mass as a function of redshift; many
galaxies
at redshift exceeding 6; and lower redshift serendipitous discoveries.

NICMOS 9484

The NICMOS Parallel Observing Program

We propose to manage the default set of pure parallels with NICMOS. Our
experience with both our GO NICMOS parallel program and the public parallel
NICMOS programs in cycle 7 prepared us to make optimal use of the parallel
opportunities. The NICMOS G141 grism remains the most powerful survey tool
for
HAlpha emission-line galaxies at cosmologically interesting redshifts. It is
particularly well suited to addressing two key uncertainties regarding the
global history of star formation: the peak rate of star formation in the
relatively unexplored but critical 1= z = 2 epoch, and the amount of star
formation missing from UV continuum-based estimates due to high extinction.
Our
proposed deep G141 exposures will increase the sample of known HAlpha
emission-
line objects at z ~ 1.3 by roughly an order of magnitude. We will also
obtain a
mix of F110W and F160W images along random sight-lines to examine the space
density and morphologies of the reddest galaxies. The nature of the
extremely
red galaxies remains unclear and our program of imaging and grism
spectroscopy
provides unique information regarding both the incidence of obscured star
bursts
and the build up of stellar mass at intermediate redshifts. In addition to
carrying out the parallel program we will populate a public database with
calibrated
spectra and images, and provide limited ground- based optical and near-IR
data for
the deepest parallel fields.

WFPC2 9596

WFPC2 CYCLE 11 INTERNAL MONITOR

This calibration proposal is the Cycle 11 routine internal monitor for
WFPC2, to
be run weekly to monitor the health of the cameras. A variety of internal
exposures are obtained in order to provide a monitor of the integrity of
the CCD
camera electronics in both bays {gain 7 and gain 15}, a test for quantum
efficiency in the CCDs, and a monitor for possible buildup of contaminants
on
the CCD windows.

STIS 9606

CCD Dark Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS 9608

CCD Bias Monitor - Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1, and
1x1
at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the evolution of hot
columns.

ACS 9674

CCD Daily Monitor

This program consists of basic tests to monitor, the read noise, the
development
of hot pixels and test for any source of noise in ACS CCD detectors. This
programme will be executed once a day for the entire lifetime of ACS.

STIS 9708

STIS Pure Parallel Imaging Program: Cycle 11

This is the default archival pure parallel program for STIS during cycle 11.

WFPC2 9709

POMS Test Proposal: WFII parallel archive proposal

This is the generic target version of the WFPC2 Archival Pure Parallel
program.
The program will be used to take parallel images of random areas of the sky,
following the recommendations of the 2002 Parallels Working Group.

STIS 9786

The Next Generation Spectral Library

We propose to continue the Cycle 10 snapshot program to produce a Next
Generation Spectral Library of 600 stars for use in modeling the integrated
light of galaxies and clusters. This program is using the low dispersion UV
and
optical gratings of STIS. The library will be roughly equally divided among
four
metallicities, very low {[Fe/H] lt -1.5}, low {[Fe/H] -1.5 to -0.5},
near-solar
{[Fe/H] -0.3 to 0.1}, and super-solar {[Fe/H] gt 0.2}, well-sampling the
entire
HR-diagram in each bin. Such a library will surpass all extant compilations
and
have lasting archival value, well into the Next Generation Space Telescope
era.
Because of the universal utility and community-broad nature of this venture,
we
waive the entire proprietary period.

ACS/HRC 9805

OGLE-TR-56b: The Most Interesting Transiting Planet

Our team has recently succeeded in confirming spectroscopically the
discovery of
the first extrasolar giant planet found in a transit search: OGLE-TR-56b.
Its
main parameters a mass = 0.9 Jupiters, size = 1.3 Jupiters. Thus,
OGLE-TR-56b
appears to be similar to HD 209458b, the only other known transiting giant
planet. Unfortunately, our planet radius determination is uncertain due to
the
very limited precision of the ground-based photometry, and does not allow
for a
meaningful comparison with theoretical model predictions. We propose HST
observations with the ACS-HRC of the main transit of OGLE-TR-56b, which will
improve the precision and the accuracy of the planet parameters by close to
factor of 10. In addition, we propose a timing experiment for the planet's
extremely close orbit {1.2-day period, 0.023 AU from the star}, which will
allow
us to detect the orbital decay and test convection theories.

ACS/WFC/WFC2 9857

A tailored survey of proplyds with the ACS

While our specific understanding of the proto-planetary disks in Orion is
increasing, our general knowledge of what promotes and hinders their birth
and
longevity is hampered by having good observations in only this one region.
Observations of proplyds in other regions with different conditions of
ultraviolet irradiation and age can provide more stringent tests of our
present
models. We have therefore designed an ACS/WFC and parallel WFC2 survey of
open
clusters embedded in H II regions that, with a small number of orbits,
maximizes
the probability of succesfully finding proplyds there. Our observing
strategy
will additionally afford a quantitative study of the detected proplyds, as
well
as the derivation of a correlation between those characteristics and the
clusters' stellar population. ACS gives us an unprecedented opportunity to
kick
start the mass discovery of proplyds in many environments, an obvious way in
which progress can be made in this field. This small tailored survey, gives
us
an excellent chance to obtain a huge return at low cost.

ACS 9984

Cosmic Shear With ACS Pure Parallels

Small distortions in the shapes of background galaxies by foreground mass
provide a powerful method of directly measuring the amount and distribution
of
dark matter. Several groups have recently detected this weak lensing by
large-scale structure, also called cosmic shear. The high resolution and
sensitivity of HST/ACS provide a unique opportunity to measure cosmic shear
accurately on small scales. Using 260 parallel orbits in Sloan textiti
{F775W}
we will measure for the first time: beginlistosetlength sep0cm
setlengthemsep0cm
setlength opsep0cm em the cosmic shear variance on scales 0.7 arcmin, em
the
skewness of the shear distribution, and em the magnification effect.
endlist Our
measurements will determine the amplitude of the mass power spectrum
sigma_8Omega_m^0.5, with signal-to-noise {s/n} ~ 20, and the mass density
Omega_m with s/n=4. They will be done at small angular scales where
non-linear
effects dominate the power spectrum, providing a test of the gravitational
instability paradigm for structure formation. Measurements on these scales
are
not possible from the ground, because of the systematic effects induced by
PSF
smearing from seeing. Having many independent lines of sight reduces the
uncertainty due to cosmic variance, making parallel observations ideal.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

Significant Spacecraft Anomalies: (The following are preliminary reports of
potential non-nominal performance that will be investigated.) None

COMPLETED OPS REQs:
16999-0 RMGA Calibration for July 2003 @ 189/1841z

OPS NOTES EXECUTED:
1128-2 Adjust ACS Error Count Limit @ 189/1341z
1115-0 CCC IPCONFIG Connections @ 189/1947z 189/1947z, 190/0147z, 190/0147z
0900-1 COMMAND PROBLEM @ 190/0856z

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL FAILURE TIMES
FGS GSacq 08 08
FGS REacq 08 08
FHST Update 13 13
LOSS of LOCK

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

Successfully completed RMGA Calibration test @ 189/17:00:06Z (OR 16999 with
attached RMGA
Calibration script and MEGG timeline). Test began with power-on of RMGA
for warm up of gyros.
Collection of RMGA data to determine gyro bias occurred @ 189/18:03:51Z
with PSEA configured
to the Test mode. Eighteen iterations of Test mode were run and
subsequently processed by
SAC. Test was completed @ 189/18:41Z.

HST SM-4 Aft Flight Deck Internal Command testing scheduled 190/11:00Z -
21:00Z with GDOC,
SOC, HITT, and CCS using CCS "C" String with CCS Release 4.0.2.2 and PRD
S07200. The
purpose of this testing is to dry run Aft Flight Deck commands to validate
CCS verifiers,
procedure changes, and scenario files.

----

Jacques :-)