Partial eclipse + guest

Old September 8th 06, 12:34 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Pete Lawrence[_1_]

Default Partial eclipse + guest

A lovely partial eclipse rising from the sea from my location. Lots of
photos to wade through but I was particularly interested to check this
one out, taken just as my youngest son Doug asked "Dad, why do you
take so many photos?". Now he knows ;-)

http://www.globalobservers.net/SkyIm...+plane_800.jpg

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old September 8th 06, 12:54 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Richard Adams

Pete Lawrence wrote:
A lovely partial eclipse rising from the sea from my location. Lots of
photos to wade through but I was particularly interested to check this
one out, taken just as my youngest son Doug asked "Dad, why do you
take so many photos?". Now he knows ;-)

http://www.globalobservers.net/SkyIm...+plane_800.jpg

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk

Ah, fly me to the moon!

Old September 8th 06, 02:09 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Llanzlan Klazmon

Pete Lawrence wrote in
:

A lovely partial eclipse rising from the sea from my location. Lots of
photos to wade through but I was particularly interested to check this
one out, taken just as my youngest son Doug asked "Dad, why do you
take so many photos?". Now he knows ;-)

http://www.globalobservers.net/SkyIm..._lunar_eclipse
+plane_800.jpg

Bah! It was below the horizon here in the antipodes!

Klazmon
Old September 8th 06, 03:05 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Bill Cotten

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
A lovely partial eclipse rising from the sea from my location. Lots of
photos to wade through but I was particularly interested to check this
one out, taken just as my youngest son Doug asked "Dad, why do you
take so many photos?". Now he knows ;-)

http://www.globalobservers.net/SkyIm...+plane_800.jpg

Hi Pete
Congratulations on your nice image. It looks very much like the cover photo
on the Reflector, official publication of the Astronomical League. My copy
arrived in the mail just minutes before I saw your photo.
Bill

Old September 8th 06, 09:57 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
a l l y

wrote in message

Question to anyone who might know: have any photographs ever been taken
of the earth during a seen-from-earth lunar eclipse, from any spacecraft
in
orbit around the moon or on its surface? I'm sure such would look pretty
spectacular, especially during a total eclipse.

Which would amount to a solar eclipse from the lunar observer's point of
view? I'd like to see that. I'd also like to see an eclipse of the Earth
from the lunar viewpoint - in other words, while a total solar eclipse is
being observed from the Earth's surface. (I suppose this would just cast a
big circular shadow on the face of the Earth, since it's so much bigger than
the moon?)

ally

Old September 8th 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Mike Williams

Wasn't it a l l y who wrote:
I'd also like to see an eclipse of the Earth
from the lunar viewpoint - in other words, while a total solar eclipse is
being observed from the Earth's surface. (I suppose this would just cast a
big circular shadow on the face of the Earth, since it's so much bigger than
the moon?)

There's lots of images of eclipses taken from satellites in high Earth
orbits. The view from the Moon would be much the same.

http://bobqat.com/Essays/disteyes/eclipse.html
http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/w...lipse-2006.htm

The last of those links also includes a movie made from the Meteosat
images of the eclipse shadow crossing the Earth.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure
Old September 8th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

Question to anyone who might know: have any photographs ever been taken
of the earth during a seen-from-earth lunar eclipse, from any spacecraft in
orbit around the moon or on its surface? I'm sure such would look pretty
spectacular, especially during a total eclipse.

This question is asked from time to time. Yes, Surveyor 3 did that in
1967, two years before the first manned lunar landing. Links to web
pages related to this, some with images, can be found he

http://tinyurl.com/m9edy

I'm not aware of any other "total solar eclipse from the Moon" (i.e. a total
lunar eclipse for us) which has been photographed from the vicinity of the
Moon.

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old September 8th 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

Check out: http://tinyurl.com/m9edy

I'd also like to see an eclipse of the Earth
from the lunar viewpoint - in other words, while a total solar eclipse is
being observed from the Earth's surface. (I suppose this would just cast a
big circular shadow on the face of the Earth, since it's so much bigger than
the moon?)

Check out:

http://theastropages.com/articles/articles011.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:E...12-E-21351.JPG

Old September 8th 06, 03:01 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
a l l y

"Mike Williams" wrote in message
Wasn't it a l l y who wrote:
I'd also like to see an eclipse of the Earth
from the lunar viewpoint - in other words, while a total solar eclipse is
being observed from the Earth's surface. (I suppose this would just cast a
big circular shadow on the face of the Earth, since it's so much bigger
than
the moon?)

There's lots of images of eclipses taken from satellites in high Earth
orbits. The view from the Moon would be much the same.

http://bobqat.com/Essays/disteyes/eclipse.html
http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/w...lipse-2006.htm

The last of those links also includes a movie made from the Meteosat
images of the eclipse shadow crossing the Earth.

Some pretty spectacular pics there. Can't find the movie though....

ally

Old September 8th 06, 04:59 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur
Tim Cutts

Question to anyone who might know: have any photographs ever been taken
of the earth during a seen-from-earth lunar eclipse, from any spacecraft in
orbit around the moon or on its surface? I'm sure such would look pretty
spectacular, especially during a total eclipse.

Certainly not from Apollo - the landings were timed so that the Sun was
only about 15 degrees abover the lunar horizon at the time and site of
landing. This was to have illumination as optimal as possible for
landing (as all of us who've looked at the moon through a telescope
know, the visible detail is best near the terminator, which a moment's thought
will tell you is where the Sun isn't far above the lunar horizon).

Consequently, Apollo landings never took place at full moon.

[ source for that is Michael Collins' excellent book about his
experiences as an astronaut "Carrying the fire". Probably the best
memoir of the Apollo project that I've read so far ]

Tim