Dinosaurs and meteorite

Old December 29th 09, 06:26 PM posted to sci.astro
Richard Fangnail

Default Dinosaurs and meteorite

How do they know what color a dinosaur was? All they have seen is
bones.

When a comet hit Jupiter in 1994 it caused large clouds to appear.
Was this studied in relation to the dinosaur extinction theory? I was
never sure why the one hit in Mexico caused the whole world to be
covered in clouds.

What are the best books about the dinosaur extinction? One obvious
one is Walter Alvarez's own book.
Old December 29th 09, 06:44 PM posted to sci.astro
Nomen Publicus

Richard Fangnail wrote:
How do they know what color a dinosaur was? All they have seen is
bones.

Because modern animals in similar environments come in various colours.

When a comet hit Jupiter in 1994 it caused large clouds to appear.
Was this studied in relation to the dinosaur extinction theory? I was
never sure why the one hit in Mexico caused the whole world to be
covered in clouds.

How have you managed to miss the many TV documentaries, books and magazine
articles that explain what happens when something the size of Mount Everest
hits the earth at a few tens of thousands of miles an hour?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur#Extinction

--
To say that atheism requires faith is as dim-witted as saying that disbelief
in pixies or leprechauns takes faith. Even if Einstein himself told me there
Old December 29th 09, 07:10 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Richard Fangnail:

On Dec 29, 11:26*am, Richard Fangnail
wrote:
How do they know what color a dinosaur was?

Guesses based on living reptiles today.

*All they have seen is bones.

No, they have examples with skin, even some feathers on some species.
Doesn't mean any "amazing" colors weren't bleached out over millions
of years.

When a comet hit Jupiter in 1994 it caused large
clouds to appear. Was this studied in relation to
the dinosaur extinction theory?

Yes. There was a correspondence of arrival a mass of iridium,
deposited almost globally in a thin layer, and the extinction of most
large species at the time. Iridium pretty much only arrives from
space.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretace...tinction_event

*I was never sure why the one hit in Mexico caused
the whole world to be covered in clouds.

Steam. Lots of kinetic energy. Just grounding airplanes for three
days had a measurable effect on global temperatures.

What are the best books about the dinosaur
extinction? *One obvious one is Walter Alvarez's
own book.

Can't help you there.

David A. Smith
Old December 29th 09, 11:15 PM posted to sci.astro
Antares 531

wrote:
[...]

Are you saying we'd probably be slipping back into the next period of
glaciation if the industrial age atmospheric pollution had not altered
things a bit? What caused the last period of glaciation to end and
this present interglacial warm period to begin...12,000 years ago?
And, when will we top out and start down that 87,000+- years slope
into glaciation. Gordon

Old December 29th 09, 11:19 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 29 Dec 2009 17:15:28 -0600) it happened Antares 531
wrote in
:
What caused the last period of glaciation to end and
this present interglacial warm period to begin...12,000 years ago?
And, when will we top out and start down that 87,000+- years slope
into glaciation. Gordon

Climate warming ice age:
http://www.world-mysteries.com/alignments/mpl_al3b.htm
http://www.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/~stan/d_clim.pdf

Human caused global warming is a hoax.
Old December 29th 09, 11:32 PM posted to sci.astro
Androcles[_23_]

wrote:
[...]

No, Smiffy reckons Al Qaeda is saving the planet.
The three days grounding he's referring to were Sept 11th to
Sept 13th, 2001. The ignorant lying **** is an anti-American
terrorist ****in' moslem with his arse in the air five times a day.

Old December 30th 09, 03:13 AM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Antares 531:

On Dec 29, 4:15*pm, Antares 531 wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:10:07 -0800 (PST), dlzc wrote:

*I was never sure why the one hit in Mexico caused
the whole world to be covered in clouds.

Steam. *Lots of kinetic energy. *Just grounding
airplanes for three days had a measurable effect
on global temperatures.

Are you saying we'd probably be slipping back into
the next period of glaciation if the industrial age
atmospheric pollution had not altered things a bit?

No. "Global dimming". When the vapor trails of all the planes had
evaporated, it got slightly *warmer*. There is no telling what we'd
be slipping into...

What caused the last period of glaciation to end and
this present interglacial warm period to begin...12,000
years ago?

Precession of Earth's axial tilt, I'd guess.

And, when will we top out and start down that
87,000+- years slope into glaciation.

Let's see if we can make it through the next 100 years first. I
figure starvation and / or disease will get most of us before old age
will. I hope I am wrong...

David A. Smith
Old December 30th 09, 05:32 AM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Richard Fangnail wrote:
How do they know what color a dinosaur was? All they have seen is
bones.

These are educated guesses. Which means they are probably wrong.

They keep discovering new things about dinosaurs all of the time, even
about dinosaurs that they already know about. Initially when they first
discovered dinosaurs in the 1800's, they portrayed them looking like
lizards, and now they look more like birds (two-legged) or elephants
(four-legged). They are also discovering some may have had feathers,
could've been warm-blooded, etc. Basically it's a work-in-progress.

When a comet hit Jupiter in 1994 it caused large clouds to appear.
Was this studied in relation to the dinosaur extinction theory? I was
never sure why the one hit in Mexico caused the whole world to be
covered in clouds.

Jupiter is mainly made of clouds and gas, like 90% of its diameter at
least. Earth by contrast only 1% of its diameter might be its atmosphere.

I think there is also some doubt as to whether the asteroid impact might
actually have been the final extinction event, or whether it was just a
coincidence. Or perhaps just a final coupe-de-grace for something that
was already well underway already.

What are the best books about the dinosaur extinction? One obvious
one is Walter Alvarez's own book.

Any of them.

Yousuf Khan