Life On Mars Found In 1976, NASA Covered Up The Evidence

Old August 4th 03, 12:06 AM
bwhiting

Default Life On Mars Found In 1976, NASA Covered Up The Evidence

Kyle Taylor wrote: Opinions of silicon-based lifeforms.....

Kyle, my guess would be....and its purely an estimate...
and its based on the fact that the element silicon
does not combine with near as many other elements
as carbon, nor with the affinity as carbon.
So while lifeforms still could be silicon-based,
I would think that they would be of lower complexity
than carbon-based....as life (in one respect) is simply a bunch of
chemical reactions going on all the time,
and thus would be of a much lower status than carbon-based.
(Probably on the order of worms, crustaceans, clams, etc...best guess here).

I think Gene Roddenberry got it pretty much right with "Devil in the
Dark" episode on the TV Startrek series, with the Lahorta
creature of the deep rock, a life-form based on silicon, at the pergium
mining colony planet. If you remember that episode.
Although to make a story, Roddenberry made the creature of
high, or equal intelligence, as humans....I think he over-estimated on
that account, just to make an interesting science fiction story.

Best Line in the episode was Dr. McCoy's line....."Heal it? You've got
to be kidding....that thing is virtually made out of stone!"
FWIW,
Clear Skies,
Tom W.

Old August 6th 03, 10:48 PM

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 06:24:34 GMT, "Orion"
wrote:

Dammit Jim! I'm a Doctor, not a bricklayer!
Bones

You're a healer, there's a patient;
That's an order.
-Rich