Maximal Light Delay

Old August 1st 05, 04:48 AM

George Dishman wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

George Dishman wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

The Sandsbury experiment has been proved valid. see
http://mysite.verizon.net/r9ns/Pockells1.doc

I asked at the time but you said you hadn't
recorded it.

What exactly is, 'it'?

On the contrary. The Pioneer 10 anomalous acceleration
to the sun data implies that the anomaly is large enough so that all
of the planets would long ago have fallen into the sun-

I agree, the anomaly is more likely to have
a mundane explanantion.

The explanation is far from mundane. The explanation is that the
trajectory based on many hours of light speed display is false and much
moreso than Anderson's paper concludes. The random sample of data I
analysed showed that the predicted values grew further and further away
from the actual received values. This growing disparity implied that
the acceleration of the craft to the sun was much larger than Anderson
said.

Clearly there is something wrong with the speed of light delay
assumption; otherwise this data and this assumption show that all of
the planets would have fallen into the sun long ago.

Possibly but you need a correction that gives
a linear error while your gives a phase error
on the diurnal term.

Put in any correction you want which will save the conventional
speed of light delay assumption but there is no independently
justifiable reason to do it.
Old August 3rd 05, 05:08 PM

writes:

Bob May wrote:
The Sandsbury IFS experiment has been proved to be invalid due to failure of
the process of the experiment. Please don't use it in any refutation.

On the contrary, The Sandsbury experiment has been proved valid. see
http://mysite.verizon.net/r9ns/Pockells1.doc

This may be a milestone in USENET: misspelling your own name.

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old August 6th 05, 12:12 PM
George Dishman

wrote in message
ups.com...

George Dishman wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

George Dishman wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

The Sandsbury experiment has been proved valid. see
http://mysite.verizon.net/r9ns/Pockells1.doc

I asked at the time but you said you hadn't
recorded it.

What exactly is, 'it'?

You would need to check my emails at the
time. As I said I don't intend to rehash
that.

On the contrary. The Pioneer 10 anomalous acceleration
to the sun data implies that the anomaly is large enough so that all
of the planets would long ago have fallen into the sun-

I agree, the anomaly is more likely to have
a mundane explanantion.

The explanation is far from mundane. The explanation is that the
trajectory based on many hours of light speed display is false and much
moreso than Anderson's paper concludes. The random sample of data I
analysed showed that the predicted values grew further and further away
from the actual received values.

The larger error you saw over the short contact
period was not continued, if you analysed more
days, you would have found it was a discrepancy
in the amplitude of the diurnal. I got the same
result but tracked it down to your use of the
non-relativistic Doppler equation.

This growing disparity implied that
the acceleration of the craft to the sun was much larger than Anderson
said.

Ii was so large, if the amount you found had been
continued, the craft would not have rendezvoused
with the planets!

Clearly there is something wrong with the speed of light delay
assumption; otherwise this data and this assumption show that all of
the planets would have fallen into the sun long ago.

Clearly there was something wrong with your
analysis. I have explained what it is to you
before.

Possibly but you need a correction that gives
a linear error while your gives a phase error
on the diurnal term.

Put in any correction you want which will save the conventional
speed of light delay assumption but there is no independently
justifiable reason to do it.

No, to explain the error _you_ found, _you_ needed
a correction which was not linear.

The data you used is not accessible to anyone but you.

... and Anderson and Markwardt.

If your code can't read the data when everyone
else can, that's your problem.

No it is your problem that no one else except the three of you
with a larger Government computer

I have no access to government computers since I
work for a private company, and I did all my work
at home on a low-end Dell desktop.

has access to the evidence for your
increasingly transparent nonsense.

It is your problem, I even gave you the code. If you
cannot read a binary value from a file when everyone
else can - AND the method is published - AND I gave
you the code to do it, it is your incompetence.

I even sent you
a copy of the data in Excel including my code
used to read the files as a macro.

This was a selection of data supposedly obtained from the raw data

It was also the code to read it so all you had to do
was type in the directory where you had your own files
and press the import button.

and did not explain why I could read all of
the other raw data files on the web with my C+ program except the file
that you made your selection from.

I didn't make the selection, you did. A long time
ago we talked about the situation when the delay
was supposed to be 12 hours. It lay in that file.

You could
have used that and stepped through to make sure
there was no trickery but you prefer to have an
excuse.

Sorry your steps were just more phony data.

Sorry, there was no data in the code to be
phony, only an example of the output.

Also your implicit assumptions are not valid; namely, that the
successive earth sites are effectively on the equator and that the tilt
of the earth's rotation axis with respect to the equatorial plane is
effectively zero and that the earth's orbital motion is effectively
zero

I made no such assumption,

You did in effect

No, it is a simple fact that a change of
amplitude of a sine wave does not alter
the time of the zero-crossing.

and then tried to show that the differences
between the conclusions based on these assumptions and the true
conditions were minimal and that the craft is effectively moving in the
equatorial plane.

The craft is not in that plane, it is close
to the ecliptic and it makes no difference
whatsoever.

The
results

You mean your phony data and phony assumptions

No, I mean the results that you could get and
check for yourself if you weren't incapable of
reading a simple binary file.

showed you had a discrepancy of
about 26 degrees (IIRC) in the location
of the craft measured from two sites on
the same day with a worst case systematic
error of less than 1 degree.

That ruled
your model out.

Your transparently phony argument is ruled out.

Your incompetence is clear, _anyone_ can
confirm the results of the test.

But the point of this post is to point out that all of the standard
reasons that people believe in the speed of light being valid for
distances more than a second away,to point out that these reasons are
all subject to other interpretations.

You cannot explain the Pioneer result, instead
you have been reduced to trying to discredit
the test with nothing more than what amounts to
personal insults. You cannot read the publicly
available data. When given code that reads it,
you refuse to step through it to confirm it has
no way to introduce any error or to make use of
it yourself or even to just look at it to see if
you can find why your own code doesn't work. You
are just sticking your head in the sand, and the
only reason for that is that you already know I
have eliminated every objection you raised to the
test. Tough luck Ralph, you have been exposed.

George

Old August 7th 05, 05:36 AM

George Dishman wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I asked at the time but you said you hadn't
recorded it.

What exactly is, 'it'?

You would need to check my emails at the
time. As I said I don't intend to rehash
that.

Because you dont know yourself.

I told you I could not read the raw data on the web with your program
or with mine. If your argument is valid with this data why can't you
find some other data to make the same argument?

The explanation is far from mundane. The explanation is that the
trajectory based on many hours of light speed display is false and much
moreso than Anderson's paper concludes. The random sample of data I
analysed showed that the predicted values grew further and further away
from the actual received values.

The larger error you saw over the short contact
period was not continued, if you analysed more
days, you would have found it was a discrepancy
in the amplitude of the diurnal. I got the same
result but tracked it down to your use of the
non-relativistic Doppler equation.

I analysed still more days and the error after increasing then
decreasing got larger and worsened much more than any small
relativistic effect could account for.

This growing disparity implied that
the acceleration of the craft to the sun was much larger than Anderson
said.

Ii was so large, if the amount you found had been
continued, the craft would not have rendezvoused
with the planets!

It was years beyond the rendezvous with Jupiter!!!

Clearly there is something wrong with the speed of light delay
assumption; otherwise this data and this assumption show that all of
the planets would have fallen into the sun long ago.

Clearly there was something wrong with your
analysis. I have explained what it is to you
before.

But your explanation is transparently wrong.

Possibly but you need a correction that gives
a linear error while your gives a phase error
on the diurnal term.

Put in any correction you want which will save the conventional
speed of light delay assumption but there is no independently
justifiable reason to do it.

No, to explain the error _you_ found, _you_ needed
a correction which was not linear.

What does that have to do with the fact that there is no
independently justifiable reason for you 'correction'

We are talking about all of the differences between the oversimplified assumptions you make and the actual relative orientation of the earthsites at different positions on the earth and the craft at different times. This is not answered by your brief incoherent allusion to sine wave amplitudes.

and then tried to show that the differences
between the conclusions based on these assumptions and the true
conditions were minimal and that the craft is effectively moving in the
equatorial plane.

The craft is not in that plane, it is close
to the ecliptic and it makes no difference
whatsoever.

Not to you obviously.

The
results

You mean your phony data and phony assumptions

No, I mean the results that you could get and
check for yourself if you weren't incapable of
reading a simple binary file.

I read these files for other time periods with no problem. Only the
time period which you chose was a problem. I wonder why????

But the point of this post is to point out that all of the standard
reasons that people believe in the speed of light being valid for
distances more than a second away,to point out that these reasons are
all subject to other interpretations.

You cannot explain the Pioneer result,

I just did. They imply that there is something wrong with the speed
of light assumption. I just cannot explain your unwillingness to show
your method works for one other time period. Why dont you find some
other time period and data instead of insulting me. My program can
read all of these other time periods.

instead
you have been reduced to trying to discredit
the test with nothing more than what amounts to
personal insults.

One objection I have to your argument again is that you are
implicitly assuming that there is no difference between the earth's
actual motions with the expected effects on the Doppler shift of the
assumed immediately received radiation and the assumption that the
earth is only rotating on its axis in the equatorial plane and that the
axis is perpendicular to the equatorial plane and that the the craft is
in this plane and that the the earth sites are at the equator. It may
be that the difference between the real motions and this simplified
assumption is negligible but it is not obvious to me from your brief
remarks.
Another consideration is that the radiation received in one case may
have been sent directly from the craft and in the other case sent from
the craft after having been relayed from the same earth station. In the
relayed case the speed of light delay ignoring any coding and decoding
delay would have been a only a second more according to the proposed
hypothesis. But possible coding and decoding delay may have changed
things. Your argument does not take this into consideration.

In the final analysis the generally increasing disparity between
the predicted and observed frequencies being larger than stipulated by
Anderson show that the anomaly is larger and that the planets should
long ago have fallen into the sun. This implies that the speed of light
delay assumption is wrong.

Old August 7th 05, 02:35 PM
George Dishman

wrote in message
oups.com...

George Dishman wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I asked at the time but you said you hadn't
recorded it.

What exactly is, 'it'?

You would need to check my emails at the
time. As I said I don't intend to rehash
that.

Because you dont know yourself.

OK, I dug around and found it. What I needed was
the scope waveforms for a test in which the pulse
width was shorter than the propagation time. We
were talking about a double pulse test at the time
in mails around 20th April 2003. Also you couldn't
provide the circuit of the photodiode receiver as
it was bought-in. I think you couldn't tell me the
gain, bandwidth or transient response either but
I'm not so sure about that. Anyway, there just
wasn't enough information to reach any conclusions.

I told you I could not read the raw data on the web with your program
or with mine. If your argument is valid with this data why can't you
find some other data to make the same argument?

Why should I? This is your theory and in science
that means it is up to you to do the work of
finding the toughest tests you can to test it.
I have been more than helpful just pointing out
that the Pioneer 10 data can be used in this way
but it's reasonable as you probably would not have
discovered the possibility without a hint. It was
only because I was already familiar with what was
available that I could see you could use it.

[...]

Of course, but they were using the relativistic
formulae throughout so prior to Jupiter they
should have been navigating off bad data and
missed the planet. Your numbers are out of the
ball park entirely.

Clearly there is something wrong with the speed of light delay
assumption; otherwise this data and this assumption show that all of
the planets would have fallen into the sun long ago.

Clearly there was something wrong with your
analysis. I have explained what it is to you
before.

But your explanation is transparently wrong.

My explanation matched the numbers you gave
when we talked of it.

Possibly but you need a correction that gives
a linear error while your gives a phase error
on the diurnal term.

Put in any correction you want which will save the conventional
speed of light delay assumption but there is no independently
justifiable reason to do it.

No, to explain the error _you_ found, _you_ needed
a correction which was not linear.

What does that have to do with the fact that there is no
independently justifiable reason for you 'correction'

It is not _my_ correction, it is _yours_. I don't
think you understand this at all. _You_ applied
_your_ theory to the data and found a discrepancy.
_You_ now need to find a correction either to the
motion of the craft or to the equations you use to
make the data predicted using _your_ theory match
what was measured. If you can adjust the trajectory
to fit _your_ theory then you have a success. If
you cannot, then you have nothing and the question
of the anomaly remains open.

We are talking about all of the differences between
the oversimplified assumptions you make and the actual
relative orientation of the earthsites at different
positions on the earth and the craft at different times.
This is not answered by your brief incoherent allusion
to sine wave amplitudes.

If an object moves in a circle, the x coordinate
is a sine wave. If you tilt the plane of the
circle through the y axis, the x coordinate
remains a sine wave but with reduced amplitude.
At 90 degrees tilt, the circle lies in the y-z
plane and the amplitude becomes zero. Changing
the declination of the craft so that it is not in
the equatorial plane has that effect. I designed
the test to use only the zero-crossings so that
the amplitude has no effect on the result. The
test couldn't be done if the craft were in line
with Polaris but that is not the case.

and then tried to show that the differences
between the conclusions based on these assumptions and the true
conditions were minimal and that the craft is effectively moving in the
equatorial plane.

The craft is not in that plane, it is close
to the ecliptic and it makes no difference
whatsoever.

Not to you obviously.

Not to the result of the test. It is designed
so that the amplitude doesn't alter the result.

The
results

You mean your phony data and phony assumptions

No, I mean the results that you could get and
check for yourself if you weren't incapable of
reading a simple binary file.

I read these files for other time periods with no problem. Only the
time period which you chose was a problem. I wonder why????

Me too. Perhaps because you know I'm right? Maybe
because there are two different data formats, one
with tape blocks and one without. Without seeing
your code I can't tell, but everyone else can read
the files.

But the point of this post is to point out that all of the standard
reasons that people believe in the speed of light being valid for
distances more than a second away,to point out that these reasons are
all subject to other interpretations.

You cannot explain the Pioneer result,

I just did. They imply that there is something wrong with the speed
of light assumption. I just cannot explain your unwillingness to show
your method works for one other time period.

Firstly because it is your task to prove your theory,
not mine. Secondly, because it took me several days
of work to process the data and I have better things
to do. Finally, you seem unable to grasp the way the
processing works and still insist there is something
wrong with it so what's the point? You will ignore
it anyway.

[...]

OK, let's go over it again. I do not make any such
assumption, the cosine of the latitude of the sites
times the radius of the Earth gives the perpendicular
distance from the site to the axis. That affects the
tangential speed of the site as the Earth rotates.
The _amplitude_ of the diurnal component of the
Doppler shift depends on that speed. That component
is a sine wave. It also depends on the elevation of
the craft above the plane of the equator so we have
a general formula for the speed of

A = 435m/s * cos(lat) * cos(elev)

The shift is then

df = A * sin(theta)

However, the time at which the zero crossing occurs
is when theta = 0 or 180 degrees and is therefore
independent of A.

Another consideration is that the radiation received in one case may
have been sent directly from the craft and in the other case sent from
the craft after having been relayed from the same earth station. In the
relayed case the speed of light delay ignoring any coding and decoding
delay would have been a only a second more according to the proposed
hypothesis. But possible coding and decoding delay may have changed
things. Your argument does not take this into consideration.

The craft uses a phase-locked transponder and we are
not looking at data, just the carrier frequency so
there is no coding or decoding involved. The worst
case delay would be one cycle at 2.2GHz but we don't
use the delay anyway, only frequency.

The receive frequency is measured directly at the
station and include allowances for cable lengths
from the antenna to the receiver so there is no
question of any relaying.

I have assumed the signal was transmitted from the
same station as you wished, that hypothesis is what
we were testing of course.

In the final analysis the generally increasing disparity between
the predicted and observed frequencies being larger than stipulated by
Anderson show that the anomaly is larger and that the planets should
long ago have fallen into the sun. This implies that the speed of light
delay assumption is wrong.

If you get a different result from Anderson et al
when trying to use conventional theory, it shows
you have failed to apply it correctly because
Markwardt has independently confirmed their
analysis.

If the larger error appears when you try to use
your own theory, it implies your theory is wrong.

To get anywhere, you need to apply your theory and
show that the discrepancy vanishes for the whole
set of data (including the files you cannot yet
read).

George

Old August 7th 05, 08:25 PM

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:
In message .com,
writes

It may
be that the difference between the real motions and this simplified
assumption is negligible but it is not obvious to me from your brief
remarks.
Another consideration is that the radiation received in one case may
have been sent directly from the craft and in the other case sent from
the craft after having been relayed from the same earth station. In the
relayed case the speed of light delay ignoring any coding and decoding
delay would have been a only a second more according to the proposed
hypothesis. But possible coding and decoding delay may have changed
things. Your argument does not take this into consideration.

It's always "may" and "might" and "possible" in your arguments. And if
your "coding and decoding" argument had any basis in reality the times
involved would be completely arbitrary, depending on how the DSN
computers handled the data.

I have talked at length with people familiar with the procedures of
coding and decoding and with the increases in repetition length of the
carrier oscillations associated with each bit as the distance
increases. None of this I can assure you is arbitrary. But all of it
explains why the delay in receiving data modulated on the received
carrier increases with distance due to the decreased strength of the
received signals and having nothing to do with the speed of light.

As I've said before, this is all on file somewhere, and if instantaneous
communication was possible they would be using it.

The reason they dont is because some much money is at stake and no one
wants to go out on a limb when we have all been brainwashed to believe
the speed of light extrapolates indefinitely bla bla bla.
The irony is that one third of the missions have been billions down
the toilet.
It would be wiser dont you think to take the money from nasa and give
it to the doe to get safe fusion energy to replace oil.

Old August 7th 05, 11:21 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message .com,
writes

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

It's always "may" and "might" and "possible" in your arguments. And if
your "coding and decoding" argument had any basis in reality the times
involved would be completely arbitrary, depending on how the DSN
computers handled the data.

I have talked at length with people familiar with the procedures of
coding and decoding and with the increases in repetition length of the
carrier oscillations associated with each bit as the distance
increases.

"Increases in ..." What on Earth is that supposed to mean? And who are
your "people"?

As I've said before, this is all on file somewhere, and if instantaneous
communication was possible they would be using it.

The reason they dont is because some much money is at stake and no one
wants to go out on a limb when we have all been brainwashed to believe
the speed of light extrapolates indefinitely bla bla bla.

Er... Are you sure you're taking the correct medication? :-)
"Going out on a limb" here would take someone to Stockholm, and the
Nobel Prize would only be the first step.
BTW, it's "don't" and "so much".

The irony is that one third of the missions have been billions down
the toilet.

For well understood reasons, which have nothing to do with your fantasy.
As I've said before, other missions have been hugely successful despite
depending on the speed-of-light delay. Occultation measurements are the
most obvious example, going back to Mariner 4 at Mars. And Galileo's
images of SL-9 hitting Jupiter.
BTW, could you remind me why the maximal delay is one second, and not
(for instance) one millisecond or one hour?
Old August 9th 05, 05:21 PM

George Dishman wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

OK, I dug around and found it. What I needed was
the scope waveforms for a test in which the pulse
width was shorter than the propagation time. We
were talking about a double pulse test at the time
in mails around 20th April 2003. Also you couldn't
provide the circuit of the photodiode receiver as
it was bought-in. I think you couldn't tell me the
gain, bandwidth or transient response either but
I'm not so sure about that. Anyway, there just
wasn't enough information to reach any conclusions.

All of this necessary information is on my web page. The point is
that 12ns laser pulses were received by the photodiode when the
photodiode was blocked at the photodiode 30 feet away before the
expected time of arrival about 30ns after being emitted but these
pulses were not received if the pulse was blocked at the photodiode
during the time of emission. In both cases the conditions of the
apparatus were the same so that any differences had to be due to the
difference in time when the pulse was blocked and when it was not
blocked.

I told you I could not read the raw data on the web with your program
or with mine. If your argument is valid with this data why can't you
find some other data to make the same argument?

Why should I? This is your theory

But your argument against it is based on data which is not publicly
available and false set of assumptions.

It was years beyond the rendezvous with Jupiter!!!

Of course, but they were using the relativistic
formulae throughout so prior to Jupiter they
should have been navigating off bad data and
missed the planet. Your numbers are out of the
ball park entirely.

Nonsense. There were other ways at these closer distances to correct
the position errors caused by assuming ten or twenty minute light speed
delays on top of similar coding and decoding delays etc eg, the signal
strength could be increased by repointing the antenna in the correct
direction.

Put in any correction you want which will save the conventional
speed of light delay assumption but there is no independently
justifiable reason to do it.

No, to explain the error _you_ found, _you_ needed
a correction which was not linear.

What does that have to do with the fact that there is no
independently justifiable reason for you 'correction'

It is not _my_ correction, it is _yours_. I don't
think you understand this at all.

Your understanding is off. The conventional delay assumptions
required corrections. The conventional delay assumption implied an
anomalous acceleration and the data showed that it was much larger than
claimed by Anderson. This in turn implies that the conventional light
speed delay assumptions used by Anderson were wrong.
The two second delay assumption given the wrong positions of the
craft also obviously required large corrections but this was due to
incorrect assumptions about light speed delay.

OK, let's go over it again. I do not make any such
assumption, the cosine of the latitude of the sites
times the radius of the Earth gives the perpendicular
distance from the site to the axis. That affects the
tangential speed of the site as the Earth rotates.
The _amplitude_ of the diurnal component of the
Doppler shift depends on that speed.

It also depends on the angle between the craft-site line at that
time and the orbital velocity vector as well as the rotational velocity
vector. The projection of these velocities on the craft-site line must
both be zero to have a zero Doppler shift due to the motion of the
earth.

[...]

The frequency received at a specifid time depends on the delay and we
don't know what added delays there are in the turning off of the
oscillation emitted by the craft and turning on of the phaselocked
transponder after perhaps coding and decoding of data sent with the
uplink carrier.

In the final analysis the generally increasing disparity between
the predicted and observed frequencies being larger than stipulated by
Anderson show that the anomaly is larger and that the planets should
long ago have fallen into the sun. This implies that the speed of light
delay assumption is wrong.

If you get a different result from Anderson et al
when trying to use conventional theory, it shows
you have failed to apply it correctly because
Markwardt has independently confirmed their
analysis.

How can you believe confirmation from the same person who said that
reception occurred at earth sites where there was no transmission which
necessarily implied the earthsite reception had to have been from
signals sent earlier from another earthsite and reflected back by the
craft to explain the reception at this time. And that this reception
could not have been otherwise produced eg by the craft transmitter
always sending a carrier signal to the earth?????