Astronomy Magazine ball fumble (again!)

Old October 14th 04, 03:16 AM
Rod Mollise

Default Astronomy Magazine ball fumble (again!)

Reminds me of some of the hilarious ads for
telescopes in the Sears catalog or on
the Home Shopping Network.

Hi:

They've got some good people working for them...Phil Harrington and Dave
Eicher, to name two. However, I sense that a lot of the staff really don't know
much (if anything) about astronomy, having drifted in from the publisher's
other magazines (model railroading and plastic models). The Novemeber issue was
particularly weak, I thought.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old October 14th 04, 03:56 AM
Phil Wheeler

Rod Mollise wrote:
Reminds me of some of the hilarious ads for
telescopes in the Sears catalog or on
the Home Shopping Network.

Hi:

They've got some good people working for them...Phil Harrington and Dave
Eicher, to name two. However, I sense that a lot of the staff really don't know
much (if anything) about astronomy, having drifted in from the publisher's
other magazines (model railroading and plastic models).

Might be good for the "Observatories on Rails" issue :-)

Old October 14th 04, 04:12 AM
Jan Owen

Jan Owen

To reach me directly, remove the Z, if one appears in my e-mail address...
Latitude: 33.662
Longitude: -112.3272
"Rod Mollise" wrote in message

Reminds me of some of the hilarious ads for
telescopes in the Sears catalog or on
the Home Shopping Network.

Hi:

They've got some good people working for them...Phil Harrington and Dave
Eicher, to name two. However, I sense that a lot of the staff really

don't know
much (if anything) about astronomy, having drifted in from the

publisher's
other magazines (model railroading and plastic models). The Novemeber

issue was
particularly weak, I thought.

Peace,
Rod Mollise

The loco motive heads ruined that magazine long ago. It hasn't been the
same since the Richard Berry days. I keep holding out hope for Dave
Eicher, but I'm afraid it's hopeless...

Old October 14th 04, 05:20 AM
rander3127

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:12:37 -0700, "Jan Owen"
wrote:

The loco motive heads ruined that magazine long ago. It hasn't been the
same since the Richard Berry days. I keep holding out hope for Dave
Eicher, but I'm afraid it's hopeless...

I loved the magazine in the 1970s and early 1980s. It had a real
beauty to it. Now, it's like a poor man's Sky and Tel.
-Rich
Old October 14th 04, 07:00 AM
Wayne Howell

I loved the magazine in the 1970s and early 1980s. It had a real
beauty to it. Now, it's like a poor man's Sky and Tel.
-Rich

No.....it's a poor man's parody of Sky and Tel!
Old October 14th 04, 07:31 PM
observer

The loco motive heads ruined that magazine long ago.

Model Railroader itself has been really ruined
by Kalmbach in the last few years. There have
been some interesting discussions about it
on rec.models.railroad

Kalmbach seems intent on replacing knowledgeable
people with so-called "journalists" who don't
really understand the subject, whether it is
astronomy or model railroading. The result
is watered-down, dumbed-down content, with
many obvious errors to those who ARE knowledgeable
on the subject.

The photo of the mis-mounted TeleVue refractor
is also in the Astronomy Magazine Guide to Getting Started
in Astronomy. These were distributed to our club
before astronomy day. We pointed out the error
to them, they did not even respond.

Old October 15th 04, 01:03 AM
MHarveyWW1

The loco motive heads ruined that magazine long ago.

It's really a shame what has happened to the magazine.
I've been a subscriber since the very first issue (over 30 years!) but, these
days, I find myself leafing through and tossing it.
I doubt that I'll renew when the subscription runs out.

While ASTRONOMY had faded, however,
Sky & Tel just keeps getting better. It's just amazing how good they've become.

Mike Harvey
Old October 15th 04, 07:44 AM
JJK

"Wayne Howell" wrote:
No.....it's a poor man's parody of Sky and Tel!

Astronomy magazine is expensive. I wouldn't add the descriptor "poor man's"
to it.

Old October 15th 04, 08:19 AM
Beta Persei

"JJK" ha scritto nel messaggio
"Wayne Howell" wrote:
No.....it's a poor man's parody of Sky and Tel!

Astronomy magazine is expensive. I wouldn't add the descriptor "poor
man's"
to it.

expensive? I buy it now and then at the airport newspaper stand and every
time I'm surprised that it's cheaper than other Italian Astro magazines.
Then I go through it and understand why.....

Beta Persei
45° 35' N
08° 51' E

Remove "_nospam" to reply