Above ground swimming pool:

Old February 11th 05, 09:02 PM
Keith Brown

Default Above ground swimming pool:

Keith said:

I am a retired electrical engineering technician type guy and I and grandma
want a more permanent swimming pool for our grand-children (we now have a
fifteen foot Intex pool) but because of where it needs to be and the water
level being at 33 inches at the lowest part of where the pool will sit we
need to install an above ground pool on an area 20 feet by 30 feet (actual
pool size is 15x24 feet). The spot where the pool is to sit is 12 inches
higher at one end .

I need to know how I can take six inches from the high end to level the pool
area and what materials like granite stone and dust are needed to be added
and what tamping of the disturbed soil is needed so the pool will be stable
and not sink.

Because of the landscaping we have done (we never foresaw the need for a
permanent pool so our landscaping that we have done, over the years, will
not permit access of heavy equipment) it is not possible to use anything
other than a large walk behind tamper, but, we will be able to wheel barrow
the stone and other aggregates.

The questions would be these...

1) Can I adequately tamp down the disturbed soil for the base of this pool?
2) What stone or sand is needed?
3) Can I do it, without heavier equipment, with a walk behind tamper.

I apologise for taking advantage of you but anyone I have spoken with, pool
stores, say no. I just feel that if done right and with the proper stone,
dust and sand it can be done. Once again the disturbed soil is six inches.

I thank you for any help.

Keith

Old February 14th 05, 03:15 PM
beavith

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:02:35 -0500, "Keith Brown"
wrote:

Keith said:

I am a retired electrical engineering technician type guy and I and grandma
want a more permanent swimming pool for our grand-children (we now have a
fifteen foot Intex pool) but because of where it needs to be and the water
level being at 33 inches at the lowest part of where the pool will sit we
need to install an above ground pool on an area 20 feet by 30 feet (actual
pool size is 15x24 feet). The spot where the pool is to sit is 12 inches
higher at one end .

I need to know how I can take six inches from the high end to level the pool
area and what materials like granite stone and dust are needed to be added
and what tamping of the disturbed soil is needed so the pool will be stable
and not sink.

sink where? look at it as a tank of water on a flat plate that
floating on water. you're only going down 12 inches, so you still
have 20 inches of solid (?) topsoil.

you should be more concerned about surface water running at the pool.
that's one reason why you would use sand as a porous base.

Because of the landscaping we have done (we never foresaw the need for a
permanent pool so our landscaping that we have done, over the years, will
not permit access of heavy equipment) it is not possible to use anything
other than a large walk behind tamper, but, we will be able to wheel barrow
the stone and other aggregates.

The questions would be these...

1) Can I adequately tamp down the disturbed soil for the base of this pool?

yes. mechanical tamper is great, hand tamper is OK. before you tamp
it, rake out any rocks bigger than, then lay the sand.

2) What stone or sand is needed?

clean graded sand. you can use granite dust if you like the look but
it can't have any chips in it

3) Can I do it, without heavier equipment, with a walk behind tamper.

a shovel and wheelbarrow is enough.

I apologise for taking advantage of you but anyone I have spoken with, pool
stores, say no.

naturally.

I just feel that if done right and with the proper stone,
dust and sand it can be done. Once again the disturbed soil is six inches.

I thank you for any help.

Keith

gotta ask...

why in alt asto?

Old February 14th 05, 10:03 PM
David G. Nagel

Keith;

I recommend the Endless Pool. I and my wife enjoy one in our basement.
They are a little costly but are worth it. They use a hydraulic pump to
create a current flow which you swim against.
They can be installed inside and outside.
Mine cost $25,000 installed.

Dave Nagel
look up: http://www.endlesspool.com

wrote:

Keith said:

[...]

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The apollo faq the inquirer Astronomy Misc 11 April 22nd 04 06:23 AM
The apollo faq the inquirer Misc 4 April 15th 04 04:45 AM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones Misc 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM