Single Point diamond turning glass...

Old February 8th 06, 02:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Single Point diamond turning glass...

While back I heard optics and first surface mirrors are single point
diamond turned on special CNC lathes, than hand figured.
Last few months I've been working for an optics company, told my boss
about it, but he said it's imposable.
Single point diamond can't cut glass, not accurately.
I even showed him these web-sites here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_turning
http://www.diamond-turning.com/
http://www.lwoptics.com/precOptAssembly.html
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0960-1317/14/12/013
http://www.siltint.com/Technical/diamond.htm

Any one knows more about diamond turning glass and how it is done?
JS

Old February 8th 06, 05:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Protagonist wrote:
While back I heard optics and first surface mirrors are single point
diamond turned on special CNC lathes, than hand figured.
Last few months I've been working for an optics company, told my boss
about it, but he said it's imposable.
Single point diamond can't cut glass, not accurately.
I even showed him these web-sites here.

See: Large Optics Diamond Turning Machine
http://www-eng.llnl.gov/lodtm/

For instance, the Keck Telescope IR Secondary Mirrors were turned on
this machine. See: http://www-eng.llnl.gov/lodtm/pdf/HI_SPIE_DT1.pdf
Old February 8th 06, 08:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

lal_truckee wrote:
Protagonist wrote:
While back I heard optics and first surface mirrors are single point
diamond turned on special CNC lathes, than hand figured.
Last few months I've been working for an optics company, told my boss
about it, but he said it's imposable.
Single point diamond can't cut glass, not accurately.
I even showed him these web-sites here.

See: Large Optics Diamond Turning Machine
http://www-eng.llnl.gov/lodtm/

For instance, the Keck Telescope IR Secondary Mirrors were turned on
this machine. See: http://www-eng.llnl.gov/lodtm/pdf/HI_SPIE_DT1.pdf

LODTM can diamond turn normal and grazing-incidence optics to

tolerances of 25-nm rms figure and 50–100 Å rms surface finish.
Diamond-turnable materials such as copper, nickel, aluminum, and
plastics are necessary for these tolerances.

How about glass, like Pyrex or others type to be turned with single
point diamond?
JS

Old February 8th 06, 05:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Protagonist wrote:
While back I heard optics and first surface mirrors are single point
diamond turned on special CNC lathes, than hand figured.
Last few months I've been working for an optics company, told my boss
about it, but he said it's imposable.
Single point diamond can't cut glass, not accurately.
I even showed him these web-sites here.

Single point diamond optical lathes are accurate enough to put a good
surface on IR optics (about 2.5 waves of yellow light) up to several
meters in size. These surfaces can then be smoothed with normal
(computer controlled) polishing techniques, and then figured in ion
mills to very high surface accuracies (20 nm).

Eye glasses can be directly turned on these lathes to accepatable
accuracies (because eye glasses do not need to be good optical
surfaces).

Old February 9th 06, 12:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote in message
oups.com...

Protagonist wrote:
While back I heard optics and first surface mirrors are single point
diamond turned on special CNC lathes, than hand figured.
Last few months I've been working for an optics company, told my boss
about it, but he said it's imposable.
Single point diamond can't cut glass, not accurately.
I even showed him these web-sites here.

Single point diamond optical lathes are accurate enough to put a good
surface on IR optics (about 2.5 waves of yellow light) up to several
meters in size. These surfaces can then be smoothed with normal
(computer controlled) polishing techniques, and then figured in ion
mills to very high surface accuracies (20 nm).

Eye glasses can be directly turned on these lathes to accepatable
accuracies (because eye glasses do not need to be good optical
surfaces).

Also contact lenses are done the same way.

Best Wishes

Ballistic Theory, Progress report...Suitable for 5yo Kids Henri Wilson Astronomy Misc 2901 May 25th 06 12:26 AM
Most Milky Way Stars Are Single (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 January 30th 06 05:02 PM
Can diamond now be used for telescope mirrors? Michael Koch Astronomy Misc 10 December 15th 04 04:11 PM
Pres. Kerry's NASA ed kyle Policy 354 March 11th 04 08:05 PM
Invention: Action Device To Generate Unidirectional Force. Abhi Astronomy Misc 21 August 14th 03 09:57 PM