iridium x 2

Old December 16th 03, 06:47 AM
Craig MacDougal

Default iridium x 2

Hi Gang,

Since it was a clear evening, I checked for Iridium Flares on Heavens-Above.
I was surprised to see that there were 2 happening separated by 15 seconds
of time and about 2 degrees of angle. What's more, the direction was such
that I could watch it from a south facing window while staying inside.

My lovely wife likes to watch them, especially when she doesn't have to put
on shoes. So, we met at the window at the appointed time and waited.

They were less than 30 degrees high, so the flares were longer in duration
than an overhead event. That meant that they were both visible at the same
time for a span of 5 seconds or so. It was pretty nifty to see the 2 flying
in formation like that. The 2 were #28 and #90. I'm guessing that the latter
one was placed there as a backup.

Clear Skies,
Craig in Tampa

Old December 16th 03, 03:48 PM
William C. Keel

Craig MacDougal wrote:
[...]

Interesting, I saw a different pair from a few hundred km NW of you in
Tuscaloosa, about 0032 UT. I saw numbers 95 and 31, with both visible
at once for maybe 20 seconds. When you see doubles like that, one is
generally a backup in lower orbit (visibly moving faster). I got a shot
once showing twin Iridium flares and the trail of ISS.

The backups are noteworthy in that if you're on the centerline their
flares can reach magnitude -9.

Bill Keel
Old December 17th 03, 05:39 AM
Craig MacDougal

"William C. Keel" wrote in message
When you see doubles like that, one is
generally a backup in lower orbit (visibly moving faster).

Yes, I noticed that but forgot to mention it.

I got a shot
once showing twin Iridium flares and the trail of ISS.

Cool!

The backups are noteworthy in that if you're on the centerline their
flares can reach magnitude -9.

I've seen a couple of -8 flares. Had to subdue the reflex of putting a hand
up to shield my eyes.

Clear Skies,
Craig in Tampa

Old December 17th 03, 06:03 AM
Tom Rankin

If you like these things, check out:

--
Tom Rankin - Programmer by day, amateur astronomer by night!
Mid-Hudson Astronomy Association - http://jump.to/mhaa

When replying, remove the capital letters from my email address.

Old December 18th 03, 09:45 AM
starman

Craig MacDougal wrote:

"William C. Keel" wrote in message
When you see doubles like that, one is
generally a backup in lower orbit (visibly moving faster).

Yes, I noticed that but forgot to mention it.

I got a shot
once showing twin Iridium flares and the trail of ISS.

Cool!

The backups are noteworthy in that if you're on the centerline their
flares can reach magnitude -9.

I've seen a couple of -8 flares. Had to subdue the reflex of putting a hand
up to shield my eyes.

I saw one Iridium in the day. It was close to overhead, about a half
hour before sunset and the sky was very clear. It looked like a tiny
white dot that was visible for a few seconds.

New heavy lifter? MattWriter Policy 83 August 3rd 04 06:23 PM
How's Iridium doing? MSu1049321 Technology 2 February 11th 04 07:03 PM
New Evidence that Earth's Greatest Extinction Caused by Ancient Meteoriteor Comet (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 November 20th 03 11:32 PM
Why space colonization never happened as envisioned garfangle Policy 95 September 24th 03 04:05 PM
This might be dumb, but what are Iridium Flares? Pickaxe Astronomy Misc 4 September 6th 03 05:07 AM