Mac app for plotting satellite tracks

Old March 28th 13, 07:30 PM
RichardF RichardF is offline
Junior Member

Default Mac app for plotting satellite tracks

Windows users have several applications available for plotting satellite ground tracks with multiple ground stations. One of these is used on one of the big screens in the control room when we launch ESA satellites. I was stationed in that control room when we launched CryoSat-2 in 2010 and was frustrated at the lack of an equivalent Mac software for my laptop.

So I decided to write my own in my spare time over the next half year or so. My colleagues, who are also using it, urged me to put it on the Mac App Store. After finding more free time, polishing it up and writing an extensive user manual, the job is finally done.

I wanted to see the satellite in the sky so I included all the things necessary for that, such as showing when it's dark at the Earth's surface and when the satellite is illuminated by the Sun. I even included an approximation of the cloud cover!

If you're interested check, out SatTrackerBasic on the Mac App Store (not iPhone or iPad, but Mac). Here's the link to the sto

itunes.com/mac/SatTrackerBasic

I've attached a screenshot of the main window. This is extensively customisable.

Sorry for the commercial post, but hopefully somebody finds it useful.

cheers,
Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	4549
Old March 31st 13, 08:14 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Patty Winter

Richard, you can't attach images to Usenet postings, but I looked
at the App Store and your application looks very beautiful and
informative!

Patty

Old March 31st 13, 09:32 PM
RichardF RichardF is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Winter View Post
Richard, you can't attach images to Usenet postings, but I looked
at the App Store and your application looks very beautiful and
informative!

Patty
Thanks for looking!

The attachment was to the original post in a forum where attachments are allowed. The cross-posting to Usenet suppressed it, but it's in the original.

Anyway, you saw the equivalent on the App Store.

cheers,
Richard
Old March 31st 13, 09:47 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Skywise

RichardF Well wrote in
:

Richard, you can't attach images to Usenet postings

He posted from a BBS website that gateways to usenet. He probably
has no idea where his message ended up. Possible he doesn't even
know about usenet (not many do).

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?